Old August 11, 2000, 01:21   #31
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It has been so long.

The first game of Civ was played on a friend's notebook computer. It didn't even have a colur LCD, just 64 shades of grey I had no idea what I was doing, but I had the game generated a random map, started my own tribe The Buffalos, and called my capital city Horns. Hours later my friend wanted his computer back but he had no luck prying it away from me Later that evening I went home quite dejected because I didn't have a computer at home. It wasn't some months later did I buy my first computer.

Those were the days.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old August 11, 2000, 08:52   #32
Doomer
Settler

Local Time: 00:26
Well I bought my first PC. A friend of mine told me to get the game (how I did I don't remember). I got it without manual. My friend gave me a brief tutorial and that was it. It took me some time to get a grip on the game since I was wiped out a lot of times in the beginning.

Since than it took a lot of free time away from me. I remember playing until the sun came up the next day. Didn't go a lot to classes since then. If I haven't graduated from college I knew the reason why, but luckily I did graduate and still can enjoy playing the CIV saga.
Old August 11, 2000, 17:58   #33
BuilderR

I remember that when I was 10, my sister brought a game on one floppy from her girlfriend....

The plastic shelf above my 14 inch sameron screen twisted after 2 days without sleep.

I got the game very late, ~1995.

I remember that I played in it like i played in C&C. I placed my warriors around my only city and moved them from one place to another.

I believed that legion is the best unit and used few of them to crush the romans.

But I really started to understand what i'm doing when i got CivII.

eh...memories...
[This message has been edited by BuilderR (edited August 11, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by BuilderR (edited August 11, 2000).]

Old August 13, 2000, 20:49   #34
wernazuma

I remember, it was in 94 I think, when a friend showed me Civ1 the first time. I was immediately fascinated and the next day I gave him 2 discs to copy it. Then the hard part began: Free the required disc space and make the game run. Finally I managed that and I could play, it was slow, but anyway.
You can’t imagine the happy I was, when with my new computer I could play with VGA-mode. All those smooth graphics, the gentle and green hills (not yellow-grey anymore), I even could identify the chariot (with some imaginative power).
Tears were running all over my face, I played nights and nights. Me and a friend (Felix=Ferikusu-sama) always tried to overpass the other and finally I achieved victory on emperor in 1200BC. When Ferikusu-sama heard that he stopped playing admitting his defeat and so I stopped playing as well until 3 months ago when I finally bought Civ2.

Old August 16, 2000, 00:20   #35
Mad Lord Snapcase

My first (and only) game of Civ1 was a total disaster. I must have been, what, about 12, and was not a very good english speaker. I had never seen nor played a game as complex as Civ before. I made the following two stupid mistakes: (a) I fortified all my troops outside the cities, because that's what I thought it said in the manual, and (b) I didn't found any new cities at all, I only had two (the capital and one from a goody hut. This lead to disaster, of course. An enemy troop invaded my capital, and whee the game was over. Stupid game, I thought. Stupid Sid Meier. Stupid me sitting there reading the entire 200+ page manual in advance. Grrr.

A few summers later, just before going home for the winter (I lived in Tanzania), I saw a friend playing Civ2 for the first time. Suddenly, I realised the mistakes I had made with Civ1. So, on a whim, I went down to the store and bought a copy. I never regretted it since.

Old August 18, 2000, 00:19   #36
JESUSSAVES
Settler

Local Time: 00:26
I played civ1 for the first time in 1992 while floating on a big boat called the USS Ranger in the persian gulf. That was way back before i was a Christian. I remember wanting to play it so much. After flight ops was done i was glued to the 386 computer. It was either play civ1 or yeager flt sim. In flt ops we had a competition going to see who could take over the world in emperor level the fastest and/or get the highest score. After a couple months of playing, i took over the whole earth world with the germans by 2350bc, my 166%(i think thats right) score beat all others. All i did was build chariots and search the globe killing all 14 civs. I also got lucky. It was fun because there was so many options in that game. Truely the first of its kind i had seen. Im still fascinated by the civ games though i dont think i will ever experience again the first time awe that i felt playing civ1 for hours on end.

------------------
SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT
Old August 18, 2000, 16:31   #37
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 02:26
I played Civilization seven years ago on the computer of my cousin's boyfriend's father's old computer... as the Vikings.
Old September 1, 2000, 23:21   #38
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I thought I should bump this post up. (Just to remind us when Yin26 used to talk to us)

------------------
"Adorare Christantine!!!"
Chrisonian Decree #1
Old September 2, 2000, 00:32   #39
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:26
Local Date: October 30, 2010
LOL...I've been in 'watching' mode lately. Sorry.