Old January 5, 2002, 16:08   #1
Viriato
Prince

Local Time: 18:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help: My Foreign Advisor is blank.
Sometimes when I consult my foreign advisor (F4) it is completely blank. I cannot see who is at war, what agreements the leader have or who is trading with who.

This situation can endure for several turns and suddenly everything is normal again and the advisor gives me all the information it should.

A couple of turns later it just blanks again. Has anybody seen this happen?
Old January 6, 2002, 08:30   #2
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 20:58
The only solution I can see is that you might need to shift+click on the different faces, thereby you activate them and you can see who they are at war with, etc.

If that aint the problem then I guess I can't help
Old January 6, 2002, 08:34   #3
Prince
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:58
I ran into the same problem a couple of games ago, but when I left the advisor screen and entered again, it seemed to work fine again. I think it's just a small error that fixes itself.
Old January 6, 2002, 20:19   #4
Viriato
Prince

Thanks for the replies.

ADG: a simple click should be enough, shift-click is to select more than one leader; unfortunately that isn't the problem.

Prince: in my current game I spend more time without the foreign advisor than with it, and it doesn't do anything to leave it and enter again; I'd say it works about 30% of the times I check it.
Old January 6, 2002, 20:26   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 19:58
This only happened to me since the 1.16 patch but I found the only cure was to quit the game and reload.
Old January 6, 2002, 20:39   #6
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 13:58
I have a worse problem than that. I've never had any lines between leaders at all. No war, peace, trade lines at all...nothing! I've posted here before trying to get ideas to help, but nothing has worked. I installed the latest drivers for my video card, reinstalled the game and patch, etc. If anyone else has an idea I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Apolex
Old January 7, 2002, 07:22   #7
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:58
None of us really knows what's going on. It might be something Firaxis is working on. But it might not. Hope that helps.
Old January 7, 2002, 08:18   #8
dexter4dxm
Warlord

Local Time: 10:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
I have a worse problem than that. I've never had any lines between leaders at all. No war, peace, trade lines at all...nothing! I've posted here before trying to get ideas to help, but nothing has worked. I installed the latest drivers for my video card, reinstalled the game and patch, etc. If anyone else has an idea I would really appreciate it.
i've read about this in the help forum. try installing opengl, because that's what civ3 uses to draw the foreign advisor lines. if u need more help i would check out the help forum
Old January 7, 2002, 20:10   #9
Viriato
Prince

And how do we install the opengl?
Old January 8, 2002, 20:05   #10
monkeyman
Apolyton University
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:58
I had a similar problem, but it was just one civilization that was blank. This was definitely a bug, since it only happened after the patch .

Anyway, I think it happens if you whack a civ before you meet all of the civs. Instead of the correct face for the civ you get a colored circle when you mouse-over corresponding to the color of one of the other civs that you can see. None of the info is available about the correct civ, but instead about one of the other civs. This prob does not correct itself when you exit and reload but did correct itself when one of the other civs got whacked. The correct civ then remained with me the rest of the game.

I played up to 1500 without seeing the romans on the screen. However, I could engage in diplomacy with them by using the tab on the main screen.

Bug, most certainly,

BTW, Pentium 4, windoze ME, civ3v1.16f

-mm
Old January 8, 2002, 22:24   #11
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 10:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex

Thanks,
-Apolex
I'm having the exact same problem, pre- and post- patch I've never had any lines for my foreign advisor screen, it's kind of annoying to remember AI states toward each other and to initiate dialogue to recall my agreements with any given civ