Old May 19, 2002, 14:30   #31
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 18:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Lonestar cares not for your pitiful Chronicle.

Actually, I'm just trying to build up a post count. Wish they hadn't taken away the custom avatar privilage for those who'd been here for over a year.
I remember you posted in it once.

When did that happen?
-----
How did it fail due to lack of structure Mellian- it worked for nearly a year. Only the Spartan Chronicle lasted longer- even the 1st Chronicles of Chiron (written by Imran Siddiqui, Rang, and others) didn't last nearly that long.

---
Oh yes and a PS: If anyne wishes to ask any questions of me about myself or the old Chiron Chronicle (the one wiht LMP and Myself as GM's) feel free to do so here:

http://64.246.32.51/~admin1/forums/s...threadid=50544

thanks
Old May 19, 2002, 19:25   #32
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've been exploring the secrets of the AC-Fiction forum over the last couple of days, and have found some fascnating things buried deep below our forum's floors - including some truths that are too terrifying even to be spoken of . . .

Old May 19, 2002, 22:12   #33
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, there are quite a lot of stories.
It would take days, possibly weeks to read them all!
Old May 19, 2002, 23:17   #34
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I went back and read the very first post in this forum. I think it was made by MarkG. But a lot of the faces of that time have vanished. Names like Jasonian, D4Everman, Barbarossa, Rural Ranger, and Desert Journeyman are common down there but have pretty much forsaken the forum. Perhaps one day we'll all be like that as well . . .
Old May 20, 2002, 16:05   #35
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 13:58
Darkcloud, the only reason it survived it is because we kept having timewarps whenever it starts going screwy.... which is usually because of Military and so on stuff, which took us longer then any other post to resolve... plus, the Planetary Council thread was getting better hits then Chiron Chronicles

CC died because we decided to take a break and Beyond Alpha Centauri appeared...where my interest moved.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 18:46   #36
Mr. President
Emperor

The Spartan Chronicle has less formal structure than the Chiron Chronicle did, and it's still going even as we speak.

And I remember that Planetary Council thread. Since it's not going on any more, I'll just come out and say that it was pretty foul. By the end it was just a flame war between the leaders (or between the players - one of those).
Old May 20, 2002, 18:57   #37
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I went back and read the very first post in this forum. I think it was made by MarkG. But a lot of the faces of that time have vanished. Names like Jasonian, D4Everman, Barbarossa, Rural Ranger, and Desert Journeyman are common down there but have pretty much forsaken the forum. Perhaps one day we'll all be like that as well . . .
Rural Ranger = LightEning, by the way. LaitE is active in the OT, especially the Suomithreadi.
Old May 20, 2002, 19:04   #38
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
**FLASH FROM THE PAST**

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=8468

I was struck half-mute, reading the last post - "We have a thread for the story, called 'Chiron Chronicle'". History, gentlemen, history!
Old May 20, 2002, 22:20   #39
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Rural Ranger= LightEning
(He changed his name back )

D4Everman- German poster- he appears every few months, writes a few (sometimes brilliant) stories, then disappears- I wouldn't worry about him- I ahve a feeling he'll reappear sometime lateer.

Jasonian- Gone for ever- he's into Micronationalism with Giant Squid

Desert Journeyman- I didn't know he was a big player? I must have missed his storeis

Barbarossa- never heard of him

Personally I think
Googlie, Hydro and Edgecrusher were some of the elder greats as well and Imran Siddiqui

--
Quote:
we kept having timewarps whenever it starts going screwy.... which is usually because of Military and so on stuff, which took us longer then any other post to resolve... plus, the Planetary Council thread was getting better hits then Chiron Chronicles
Possibly, but in the elder days, remember (Mellian are you LMP just wondering- I think I forgot) we did well with the wars until the SMAC Fanatic issue. (when I pissed him off)[oops ] That entered a new era of higher regulation
---
Ha! kassiopea- interesting thread- only LMP and Myself were members of the first amount that applied for the game

LightEning tried for a time, but then left.

Wow.
I forgot about that thread
Old May 20, 2002, 23:45   #40
Mr. President
Emperor

Yeah, that thread was long before I ever heard of Apolyton. Can you still post as a guest? I noticed Edgecrusher, Rural Ranger, and some other people don't have a profile available since they weren't registered. But there aren't any recent users like that.

Hmm . . . Edgecrusher is a cool name . . . getting idea for DL . . . Naah, just kidding. That'd be like pretending to be Elvis.

Actually, I saw somewhere down in the Crypt that Rural Ranger and LightEning are the same person, but I didn't quite make the connection with the Suomithreadi frequenter. Desert Journeyman only made a couple of Chiron Chronicle posts, but there're also unrelated posts out there somewhere.

Are you sure you've never heard of Barbarossa, DarkCloud? His name and yours are both in that thread - and you have a couple of conversations . . .
Old May 21, 2002, 00:35   #41
Mellian
Queen

Anyway, i am more keen in simply finish off writing the system i am working on and then start a new quicker pace Chiron game... mainly because thats all the time i have at the moment, quick pace stuff... not long story posts which i was never good at anyway.

Yes I am LMP and besides, those initials will become no legit once i send the name change papers.

-Mellian
Old May 21, 2002, 00:38   #42
Mellian
Queen

SMAC Fanatic issue? I thought we started that when we started having big arguments over the Spartan-Peacekeeper warm where i pretty much got annoyed the non-characteristic spartan atrocity actions and silly stuff like Human Shield and so on.

-Mellian
Old May 21, 2002, 22:57   #43
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Yeah, that thread was long before I ever heard of Apolyton. Can you still post as a guest? I noticed Edgecrusher, Rural Ranger, and some other people don't have a profile available since they weren't registered. But there aren't any recent users like that.
Oh, they are still registered, but they changed names- edgecrusher is now "self biased" and Rural Ranger (a spoof of Urban Ranger) is now LightEning once again.

Quote:
Desert Journeyman only made a couple of Chiron Chronicle posts, but there're also unrelated posts out there somewhere.
Okay.
Quote:
Are you sure you've never heard of Barbarossa, DarkCloud? His name and yours are both in that thread - and you have a couple of conversations . . .
Yes. Now I see. Actually, i think that's the only time I ever itnteracted with him or saw anything by him.
It was a strange coincidence- I had been thinking for a few weeks about starting a game- I got on that day, ready to start one (I already had the rules ready) then I saw him organizing one.
However, he forgot to complete the organization, thus, a month later LMP and myself set up the game

--

Actually LMP there was the issue about nerve gas and such, but SMAC fanatic pretty much got fed up with me because:
1. He thought I was cheating (which I wasn't... I did however do 1 thing wrong but that wasn't pruposeful- You see, I neglected an AC rule... he pointed it out to me and I fixed it- but he was fairly mad- then we had the nerve gas issue with Cyber dropping it, then some more fighting, etc.

Quote:
Yes I am LMP and besides, those initials will become no legit once i send the name change papers.
didn't you alreadly
Old May 22, 2002, 04:13   #44
Clear Skies
Prince

Um...IIRC you actually posted something on the thread, then when i challenged it and said it was against the rules you claimed only to have posted it 'as a test', despite the fact that several people had already responded to it and woven it into the story. Therefore despite your 'fixing' of it it mucked up the entire thread and it was obviously never designed as a 'test' anyway. You then went right ahead with a plan to covertly nuke the Cybernetic headquarters without consulting either me or LMP, the other GM. I got fed up and left because you were basically running the game as a one-man dictatorship.

Clearer?
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 22:50   #45
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
anyway. You then went right ahead with a plan to covertly nuke the Cybernetic headquarters without consulting either me or LMP, the other GM. I got fed up and left because you were basically running the game as a one-man dictatorship.
You didn't understand. It was intrigue.
we had alreadly changed the rules so that we couldn't
a: USE GERM WARFARE or b: NUKE.
I was however, planning to have the chemical weapons destroyed (as I DID do) and then have some troubles erupt from that with the University either a: engineering it themselves, or b: the cyborgs or data angels destroying something.

-
I seem to remember the test, but don't remember what it was about.
-
and jsut so you know, I did not feel I was running the game as a dictatorship- I had the rules up for election at every time and I followed them as best I knew- even if it didn't always seem as if I wasn't.

The idea with the chemical weapons was a surprise- but what happened was a bog down in the game! I had no idea that people would get disgusted with something that wasn't announced, but which could be built upon (at least for once) without anyone else knowing about it.

I wished to introduce intrigue into the game but was forced to post my intentions, etc.

I was annoyed with you at the time but saw why you may have been annoyed. However, I thought I explained it well at the time, but it appears I ahve not. Hopefully this explains myself fully.

-
as for the test, when exactly did that happen- I remember it happening, but don't remember the details.
-
And LMP at that time was definately doing more of the GMing. ABout a month or two before that, I had started to fade- then I decided to spice up the game- and look where it got us.,
Old May 23, 2002, 00:31   #46
Mr. President
Emperor

Let this be a lesson to us all: never think outside the square you live in.
Old May 27, 2002, 20:54   #47
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Let this be a lesson to us all: never think outside the square you live in
I chose to challenge that statement by being me

Anyway, the point is, it collapse due to lack of structure. We need something to resolve actions that effects other factios/players, so we don't have to discuss it before hand, taking forever to do so sometimes.... and without any arguments.

I was annoyed with the fact that we knew before hand what one player was about to do, and abuse our position of omnicients to think up a counter or build upon or whatever action following an action yet to be posted. I am guilty of it and i am pretty sure others are too. Need something to tone down the omnicients and to prevent problems from it.

-Mellian
Old May 27, 2002, 22:13   #48
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
I was annoyed with the fact that we knew before hand what one player was about to do, and abuse our position of omnicients to think up a counter or build upon or whatever action following an action yet to be posted.
Yes, I always hated knowing before hand what would happen- the sad thing was it was the only way to regulate and when it didn't happen we had incidents such as mine with SMAC fanatic- the fact taht everything had to be out in the open wiht no intrigue really made the game tedious at times.
Old May 28, 2002, 01:11   #49
Mellian
Queen

It is possible of course to play a game which doesn't require much structure, yet still have the intrigueness like you mentioned without any arguments...depending on the gaming universe of course...but tends to go unbalanced

"sure you destroyed my flagship, but i have a even bigger ship coming from Joe Blow whatever system"

-Mellian
Old June 1, 2002, 15:05   #50
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
but tends to go unbalanced

"sure you destroyed my flagship, but i have a even bigger ship coming from Joe Blow whatever system"
yes, I know, this is what we were trying to do...
But we could have made sure that it wouldn't go unbalanced if the people who had the complaints would have talked to the GM's and received the GM's word that nothing would happen- however this isn't what happened... SMAC Fanatic didn't trust me... thus I had to reveal what I was going to do (making it less fun) and SMAC Fanatic thought I was planning on cheating... oh well, perhaps if I was SMAC Fanatic I would have done the same thing, but I'm still annoyed.
Old June 2, 2002, 00:58   #51
Mr. President
Emperor

It all depends on whether the people involved want to write a story or do a different kind of thing. Storylines can't grow if too much control is applied.
Old June 2, 2002, 02:04   #52
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
It all depends on whether the people involved want to write a story or do a different kind of thing. Storylines can't grow if too much control is applied.

My thoughts exactly. If your in a game then control is necessary but when you are just writing you need more of an inspirational nudge in the one or more directions. Kind of like the difference between Yoda and the Emperor.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2002, 05:40   #53
DarkCloud
staff

True, I think we sort of lost direction somewehre there, some of us wanted a story and others wanted a game... oh well
Old June 15, 2002, 21:23   #54
Mr. President
Emperor

Exactly right, I joined the Chiron Chronicle thinking it was a story-writing activity. It was a medium-sized surprise to find out that it wasn't.
Old June 24, 2002, 13:27   #55
DarkCloud
staff

It was a surprise to me too strangely enough between restarts, I forgot our mission- or thought that it was changed

*oops
Old June 24, 2002, 23:04   #56
Mr. President
Emperor

The Chiron Chronicle had a mission?