View Poll Results: What do you play now?
Still play Civ 3 85 60.71%
Gone back to Civ 1/2 10 7.14%
Gone back to SMAC 12 8.57%
Gone back to CtP 1/2 8 5.71%
Given up on TBS 25 17.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 6, 2002, 10:00   #1
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you play now?
Just curious...
Old January 6, 2002, 10:41   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 13:59
Originally, I said it as a joke. But my wife wants to play Myst 3. I'm sincerely considering joining her. So I guess I'm giving up on TBS.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:24   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
I'm boycotting Civ3 until my problem of the game crashing in the middle of the AI turn is solved.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:42   #4
Oligarf
Warlord

Local Time: 19:59
I am not really addicted to Civ III as I once where when I bought Civ I. At the moment I play Championship Manager 01/02, but I think I will return to Civ III when I want TBS.
Old January 6, 2002, 12:47   #5
Venger
King

Local Time: 12:59
I'm playing (and so far enjoying) CTP2. I have the latest Cradle mod, and the game has a MYRIAD of options, goods, techs, wonders, and units. It's very rich. The interface and options aren't as intuitive as I'd like, but overall the fast graphics, FAR superior combat, and depth of options have made it more fun than Civ3 ever was. Oh, jury still out on public works. Alot of people hate micromanaging settlers, but public works has it's own bit of micromanagement.

Also have SMAC which I played for a few minutes (forgot how fun the interface was, with the sci-fi popup windows and such). Will play it more with time.

Bought Empire Earth only to discover it's just a real pretty Age of Empires. The box said you can play it like a TBS - nope, it's mine, build, and click, ad infinitum. Who enjoys those games?

Bought the kids loads of games I'll be playing too. Got them Sim City 3000 Unlimited (too advanced them I think, makes Civ3 look ike Tic Tac Toe), Kingdom Under Fire (my boy loves it), Dark Reign II (cool clickfest RTS), Mechwarrior 4 with force feedback joystick (kinda hard to control but cool), Monster Truck Madness with force feedback wheel (haven't tried it yet), Heavy Gear II, Stratosphere, Darkstone, Battlezone II, Invictus, some others I am forgetting. A buttload of games that I'll eventually burn and play myself just to check out...

But I ain't playing Civ3 until at least another patch comes out.

Venger
Old January 6, 2002, 13:34   #6
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

NONE OF THE ABOVE
I am playing EU when I play anything. After Civ3 I am so bummed out on PC games I am thinking of taking piano lessons.
Old January 6, 2002, 13:39   #7
ACooper
Prince

It seems like most of us still play Apolyton the most.
Old January 6, 2002, 14:00   #8
Ferdi
Warlord

Local Time: 20:59
Ask the same question 6 months later! You'll have a surprise!
Old January 6, 2002, 14:03   #9
CB2034
Chieftain

ill be playing RTS until moo3 comes out
Diablo II and Tiberian Sun still take up my weekends when the wife is asleep
Old January 6, 2002, 14:35   #10
opaque
Warlord

I played a few games of Civ 3 (although only one up to the modern era) and found it just doesn't grab me like Civ 2 did. I couldn't put my finger on it but after reading these forums the reason for that is probably because it is more than just one thing that reduces the overall enjoyment. When the patch came out I literally loaded it up for 5 minutes to see what was different and then quit again and I haven't played since.

Quote:
But I ain't playing Civ3 until at least another patch comes out.
I can see myself doing the same, but not because I actually want to stop playing Civ 3 for whatever reason...but because it just doesn't make me want to play it. Kind of a relief I guess after many a late night trying to tear myself away from Civ 2

P.S. I am one of the few people it seems who hasn't managed to beat Civ 2 on all levels.
Old January 6, 2002, 14:39   #11
Kc7mxo
King

Aliens versus Predator 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Mechwarrior 4, and a little Fallout Tactics.

Fraid civ lost my interest. It was fun for a while though.
Old January 6, 2002, 16:13   #12
simwiz2
Warlord

i got civ3, played it for 3 weeks, awed at the unit animations and terrain graphics. Then i began to realize it wasnt very fun. Everything took too long, and i lost several games due to crashes that kept occuring at the same place. So i went back to playing tiberian sun, and found that it was still as fun as it had been when i first got it (thats more than i can say for civ3) and then i got HL Counterstrike and ive been playing that. Havent even played a civ game for almost a month. So i guess ive pretty much given up on TBS, unless some really good patch for civ comes out and fixes the tedium, combat, and city flipping.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.
Old January 6, 2002, 16:30   #13
Special_Olympic
Chieftain

I'm waiting for Russo-German war(tbs) to arrive in the mail. I doubt I'll play Civ3 again... Played Unreal Tour. the last two nights, but I'm pretty sick of that as I've been playing it for two years.

I LOVE TBS, but I don't like Civ3.
Old January 6, 2002, 16:30   #14
C0ckney
King

Been playing a lot of Counterstrike and Day of defeat (Half life mods) lately, civ 3 is ok, but everything takes forever and a day and then it crashes
Old January 6, 2002, 18:01   #15
BeBro
Emperor

Of course Civ3, I like the game. Sure there is much room for improvement, but generally it is good Still play Civ2, mainly because of the scenarios. I wish we could do similar things with Civ3...
Old January 6, 2002, 18:07   #16
Grumbold
Emperor

Still playing Civ 3, but as one of 6 games with a share on my time. Had Apolyton posted another tournament file at New Year I'd certainly have been playing it this week. Alas server issues seem to have ruined that opportunity. Still, it allowed me to play Dark Age of Camelot most of the week which is currently lots of fun.
Old January 6, 2002, 18:41   #17
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:59
I'm playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto 3 on my PS2, as well as Final Fantasy X and a dab of Madden 2002. On the PC side of things, I'm mainly playing a bit of Unreal Tournament and I just re-installed Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I've been playing some SNES games on an emulator, and a bit of MOO2.

I think I've played CIV3 once in the last month. Maybe twice. Funny, I still check Apolyton at least once a day. Strangely enough, haven't felt an urge to re-install CIV2. Just don't feel like dealing with that outdated interface.

I'm pretty sure I'll get back into CIV3 sooner or later. I'm mainly burned out on TBS, as opposed to that game in particular.

-Yook
Old January 6, 2002, 18:59   #18
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:59
I'm played out of CivI, CivII, CivIII, SMAC, CivCTP, AoE, AoE2(AoK), and Empire whatever it is. I'm currently playing a really old Take2 game PILGRIM. I'm currently playing around on Apolytonian forums.
Old January 6, 2002, 19:08   #19
opaque
Warlord

Quote:
I'm playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto 3 on my PS2
I'm playing that a lot on my PS2 as well...along with Burnout. In fact it is probably the first time I have ever spent more time on my PS2 than on my PC. Such great games they are...and always finished of course (no room for patching)
Old January 6, 2002, 20:18   #20
Grrr
King

Quote:
Originally posted by opaque

I'm playing that a lot on my PS2 as well...along with Burnout. In fact it is probably the first time I have ever spent more time on my PS2 than on my PC. Such great games they are...and always finished of course (no room for patching)
The thing is that PSX and PS2 games are easy to test, as there are only two different machines on which they will be used, discounting mod-chips, but they're illegal so I won't worry.
I'm sure that if everyone used a machine identical to the one on which Civ3 was developed, we would have no major bugs, etc.
Old January 6, 2002, 22:19   #21
Sean
Prince

Yeah, I am still playing Civ III, and enjoying it! Don't have enough free time to get sick of it.
Old January 6, 2002, 22:32   #22
Terser
Warlord

Haven't played Civ III in three weeks. Not sure when I'll find the urge to play again.

Went back to playing World War II Online. With the recent patches it really is a whole new game and finally worthy of play (after being released in June in alpha). Maybe--just maybe--CivIII will undergo a similar revitilization.

Also quite a bit of Ghost Recon and Baldur's Gate II.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis
Old January 7, 2002, 00:50   #23
Grrr
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Terser
Went back to playing World War II Online. With the recent patches it really is a whole new game and finally worthy of play (after being released in June in alpha). Maybe--just maybe--CivIII will undergo a similar revitilization.
Wishful thinking?!?! But I was hoping the same, yes!, however it all depends on Infogrammes, and the team at Firaxis, I mean, will Sid listen to his fans, or his investors!
Old January 7, 2002, 01:20   #24
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
Originally, I said it as a joke. But my wife wants to play Myst 3. I'm sincerely considering joining her. So I guess I'm giving up on TBS.
May I propose you to do Myst and Myst II first? It is pretty story-based and all is a perfectly coordinated, as physics laws. Beware though, Riven (Myst II) isn't for whiners or those who let go easily mental work... It is said most people let go at the first really harder puzzle to understand.
Old January 7, 2002, 01:21   #25
Trifna
King

Local Time: 02:59
Forgot... I'm waiting to see what Master of Orion III will be like... Seems an interesting game.
Old January 8, 2002, 07:36   #26
odisseus
Settler

I'm playing CTP2, HoMM3 and SMAC/X (multiplayer).

Civ3? Is still on my HD but ... it doesn't involve me!!!! I don't know why.
Old January 8, 2002, 07:42   #27
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:59
Two words. Max, Payne. And Ra2, Colonization (I kid you not), EE, AvP2, MechWarrior 4, Serious Sam, Diablo II.

Oh, and Civ3.

I have no staying power - but I can multitask.
Old January 8, 2002, 07:47   #28
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:59
As well as playing Civ 3, i have been playing:

Thief 1, Thief 2, System Shock 2, (all first person thinking games), and Stronghold.
But im still playing Civ 3 as well.
Old January 8, 2002, 09:55   #29
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I haven't been playing a lot of those games lately.

Playing civ3 when at home, SMAC when at my parents' place in Berlin. SMAC is more well-balanced, it's less of an experience than Civ3 though, since the latter is still new
Old January 8, 2002, 10:21   #30
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Funny thing...
I got EU2 and civ3 for Christmas - Initially I was really looking forward to civ3, but due to the reports here, I cooled on the idea of playing civ3 - even to the point of asking that if I was only getting one game, I wanted EU2.

All I can say is that EU2 is an incredible, deep game, and it has hooked me. I'm sure that eventually I will find things that I will not like about it, but at the same time, there is a lot to learn about EU2, due to its depth, so I can see myself spending the time to learn it.

Stronghold is a lot of fun too... For the moment, I have no desire nor the time to play civ3.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...