View Poll Results: What do you play now?
Still play Civ 3 85 60.71%
Gone back to Civ 1/2 10 7.14%
Gone back to SMAC 12 8.57%
Gone back to CtP 1/2 8 5.71%
Given up on TBS 25 17.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15, 2002, 16:48   #61
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by opaque
Are these all turn based strategy games? I was under the impression that at least two of these were RTS games. I would like to see another turn based strategy game since I enjoy them a lot. For some reason the shops I go to never have any that I can see.
MOO3 and HOMM4 will be turn-based. EUII is (theoretically) an RTS, but you won´t notice it. Just play at the slowest speed, and increase speed somewhat when nothing happens. It really plays totally like a TBS, and is more complex than most. Only problem are the bugs. (Releasing unfinished games has become kind of a habit, because they seem to get away with it. Just look at Firaxis as a shining example of earning good cash with a crappy game. The difference, however, is that EUII is sound at the core, therefore can and probably will be patched close to perfection, while CivIII is way too far gone.)

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old January 15, 2002, 16:54   #62
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
I've gone back to Tropico and, more recently, fired up the Diablo II expansion again. Also Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

EU sounds really intriguing, but I haven't made up my mind to buy it yet...

If I chose to play a turn-based game again, it would probably be Civ II MGE. Maybe SMAC (but I don't like having to play out the Planet plot in every random game).
Old January 15, 2002, 19:06   #63
Havard
Warlord

Local Time: 19:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tribune EUII is (theoretically) an RTS, but you won´t notice it. Just play at the slowest speed, and increase speed somewhat when nothing happens. It really plays totally like a TBS, and is more complex than most.
...or you can play on a higher spead and pause. During pauses you can issue commands, check your budget, recruite some troops, arrange a royal marriage etc.
Quote:
Only problem are the bugs. (Releasing unfinished games has become kind of a habit, because they seem to get away with it. Just look at Firaxis as a shining example of earning good cash with a crappy game. The difference, however, is that EUII is sound at the core, therefore can and probably will be patched close to perfection, while CivIII is way too far gone.)
I guess this is a problem with most games nowadays - what games released are not patced some time after release?
Old January 16, 2002, 06:25   #64
kailhun
Warlord

Local Time: 18:59
Medal of Honor: allied assault (the demo), and a bit of civ III on the side. I'm probably losing this game of civ III again though. How do the AI civs expand so quickly?

Robert