Old January 8, 2002, 17:49   #1
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I´m the only one who is seeing it?
Hi everybody,
I´m new here in this Apolyton Forum. However, i´m an old Civ fan.
I´ve been looking around, reading lot of forums; and i just want say a couple of things.
First of all, Civ3 really dissapoints me. I was waiting for a new, innovative game. And, in general terms i like the new stuff. For example, the resources-units relation or the new "spy system".
But on the other hand, i have found lot of things that i really miss. I can´t understand the problem of the starting locations. Is that a joke? Is so hard for Firaxis to arrange the correct locations? I don´t like to see frenchs in australia or the romans in southamerica.
Another big problem; scenarios. Can you answer this question: How the hell can we create historically accurate scenarios in Civ3? It´s impossible.
But the greatest problem is that we lost the main tool. The Editor. The amazing characteristics that made Civ2 unique were the customizations options. They were practically infinite. We were able to recreate any situation in human history. Now, it´s out of our reach.
To sump up, i just want to tell you that i returned to civ2. Maybe it looks old-fashioned, but i find it more enjoyable than civ3.

PD: i´m waiting your comments.
Old January 8, 2002, 17:58   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:05
ditto
Old January 8, 2002, 18:13   #3
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:05
I agree
I must concur-
The lack of scenerios is a HUGE drawback with the game.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 8, 2002, 18:36   #4
whosurdaddy
Warlord

Local Time: 14:05
You are not alone ....

I totally and completely agree with you. That's the reason the Civ3 cd hasn't gone into my computer since the first week that I bought it. To tell you the truth, I want to know what the people who released the game must have been smoking to put out a Civ game which does not allow for scenarios (that and a few other silly game flaws like the fact that airplanes cannot sink ships! ... looks like no world war 2 scenario, ever!) ... i mean, the scenario world and the editability is what made Civ2 such a remarkable and enduring game in the first place. Basically, if you didn't like how Civ2 was, it was well within the power of each and every person to change the game himself until it was exactly how he liked it! This concept has been totally forgotten for Civ3. Alright, i'm starting to get all steamed up already ... it's not healthy, so i think i'll leave it there.

Anyway, all we can do is let everyone who hasn't already bought Civ3 know NOT TO BUY CIV3 UNTILL THEY(FIRAXIS) FINALLY FINISH IT, thereby at least trying to hurt Firaxis in the pocketbook, which is the only place that any company cares about anyway.

A propósito, ¿has estado en el foro de Civ3 en español? Como siempre, hay muchas discusiónes muy interesantes allí. Si quieres pasar por allí (siempre estoy buscando nuevos socios ), el enlace es http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisp...s=&forumid=123
Old January 8, 2002, 18:57   #5
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:05
Quote:
Originally posted by whosurdaddy
Anyway, all we can do is let everyone who hasn't already bought Civ3 know NOT TO BUY CIV3 UNTILL THEY(FIRAXIS) FINALLY FINISH IT, thereby at least trying to hurt Firaxis in the pocketbook, which is the only place that any company cares about anyway.
In that case Civ3 will fail like CTP2.

No buyers, no money ==> no more pathes, no MP ==> Game abadoned

P.S.
At least CTP2 is modifiable.
And can have scenarios.
Old January 8, 2002, 19:04   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 12:05
I like Civ3's graphics and the idea of culture but froma technical design stand point I think CTP2 is actually a more thoroughly thought out game. You can make true to life senerios, the combat system is well done, negotiations with other civs are intuitive, and multiplayer was perfectly integrated.

I truly hope Firaxis will take note of CTP2 and add many of it's ease of use and thoughtful design features to the MP and Gold editions of Civ3.
Old January 8, 2002, 19:24   #7
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:05
The biggest problem with CTP2 was that it was rushed (and unfinished) and then "abadoned" several months later.

But, due to its innate ability to modification that game is still not forgotten.
Just look at CTP2 forums.
Old January 8, 2002, 19:38   #8
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 15:05
Sorry guys, but what´s CTP2?
Old January 8, 2002, 20:31   #9
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 19:05
Call To Power 2

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.