Old January 8, 2002, 20:21   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Room for one more here? :)
Okay....after a lot of thought and internal debate....after having this game recommended by people whos opinons mean a lot to me, I've decided that maybe it's time to devote a bit more attention to this game.

I'm still a little leery that it's being published by InfoGreed, and hope they don't have any PR fiascos a la Civ ("Suuuuuuure you can mod our game....just know that we'll threaten you with a lawsuit the moment you try! Oh....and don't even think hard about publishing your thoughts on the game....even if you GIVE them away!" --stuff like that REALLY leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

Nonetheless, having lurked on this forum section for a while now and following its progress, AND having fond memories of the last sci-fi 4x game I got hopelessly hooked on (SMAX!), I figured maybe, if you guys could make room for one more, I'd stop in and get more acquainted with everything?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2002, 20:43   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:05
Vel:

I share your worries about Infogreed. What seems so curious to me is that they appear to be handling MOO3 with *more* care than they did with Civ3. This may well be because they figured Civ3 would sell itself ... beta or not. One hopes that they see MOO3 as a grass-roots cash-cow that will only succeed with great attention to fans and great fan support in return.

If so, MOO3 will kick.

And, I suppose we could make room for you. It's not like you've ever published a strategy guide or anything.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2002, 21:03   #3
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Thanks for the welcome aboard, brother Yin! And I'm looking forward to the release, InfoGreed's involvement or no! The more I hear about it, the better it sounds! Might be another addiction (and strat guide?) in the makings.....

Oh! And OT for a moment, but that reminds me! EU2 is on my shopping list, and it occurs to me that much of the prelim stuff we talked about in the EU forums will be applicable for strat notes in EU2....

And (also OT, but what the heck, I'm in for a penny, might as well make it a pound!) I LOVED your Korea thread! Fascinating reading!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old January 8, 2002, 21:17   #4
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 13:05
Welcome!

The programmers at QS are much more willing to disclose information about the game, answer questions, and just be downright helpful. Not very many "Gee, we are so busy programming the game that we don't have time to listen to you" type BS answers where you know they just don't want to take the time to answer your questions. Its quite refreshing after waiting for Civ 3.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2002, 22:10   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Vel: Thanks for the kind words. I'm working on an actual book along those lines you saw in the thread. It's great to know you found it interesting. By the way, I haven't bought EU2 yet, either. We'll need to compare some notes. Well, I'll have scribbles and you'll have chapters. LOL!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2002, 07:43   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 20:05
Actually, Vel, since your glowing endorsement of Civ3 the first day or so it was out - "crack on CD", was it? - was what made me fork out my hard earned cash on that turkey, I don't know if we should allow you in here.

On the other hand, there's the fact that I learned how to really play SMAC from the musings and tribulations of a certain gentleman, which has to be some sort of mitigating circumstance.

Hm, well, OK, welcome!
Old January 9, 2002, 10:57   #7
Garth Vader
King

Vel, have you played Moo and/or Moo2?

moomin, Civ3 was good for the first week so I have no problems with his comments. It just got boring fast. Since I got Moo working again I don't see me playing Civ3 again
Old January 9, 2002, 12:21   #8
Zealot
King

Vel, welcome on board!
I'm sure you'll like this forum since we have some nice "chats" between the fans and Stormhound and Sencho.
Stormhound is a QuickSilver assintant designer, and Sencho is the "moo3 events dude". They are really nice, so I'm sure you'll like them as well. And they respond pretty fast too!

BTW, did you ever play moo2? If you didn't GET IT! It's a wonderful TBS game.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2002, 14:30   #9
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 14:05
Welcome Vel, and as to any other fan joining us here, we believe that MoO3 s project deserves a long term attention. With tons of info we have every week from the official and orbital sites, I'm now convinced it will be revolutionary to say the least. Remains to be seen on how successful or not will be that TBS revolution.
Old January 9, 2002, 14:42   #10
Zealot
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
Welcome Vel, and as to any other fan joining us here, we believe that MoO3 s project deserves a long term attention. With tons of info we have every week from the official and orbital sites, I'm now convinced it will be revolutionary to say the least. Remains to be seen on how successful or not will be that TBS revolution.
Well said MM! Let's just hope that MOO 3 will be really exciting and addicting! Black and White was also a revolutionary game, but it was just not fun to play!
Reminds me of a certain game... *cough*Civ*cough*3*cough*
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2002, 01:55   #11
Velociryx
staff

Thanks again guys! I've not played MOO or MOO2, but just got my hands on the original, and will start plowing through it to see what the genesis of the series was like....working up to MOO2 while waiting for the sequel....

-=Vel=-
PS: My apologies if my initial review of Civ3 caused anybody to buy the game who didn't enjoy it....IMO, it's a good, solid game, and I certainly feel as though I got my money's worth out of it, but.....problems with its construction and late game mechanics make it unlikely (at least as it stands at present....there's always hope for good, fleshed out patches and an expansion pack to it) that it'll have the staying power of its predecessors....which it too bad, cos it has SOOOOOO much promise! It's like a deck of cards that's missing the two of clubs and the four of hearts! It's sooooo close, but....without those missing cards, you just can't play!
Old January 10, 2002, 20:11   #12
Admiral
Prince

Am i allowed to welcome you as well?

I have seen many instances where a poster makes a suggestion which is actually noticed by the developers and in theory acted upon (more so at the delphi forums then here, but...). That, plus the fact that the developers seem to be relying on good game mechanics rather than Sid Meiers name, might suggest that this game will be entirely better than others recently released.
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2002, 15:35   #13
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hey, check out the latest issue of PC gamer mag. There is a two page ad on MOO3, but even that has no estimated release date.

Vel...I have to admit that I was disappointed with SMAC since I thought that it was going to be MOO3, that is, in space instead of on a planet. Am I reading in your message that you're toasted on CIV3 (EDIT: never mind I just read the disenchanted thread...go for it...and where's me mod!)?

I hope that the remove some of the tedium of MOO2 with regards to building all those building on the planets. MOO1's concept was better in that respect (however fleet size could get way out of hand). MOO2 seemed to go way to the opposite extreme. I always found myself chasing down the comp players with 11-15 ships and it was pretty much over at that point anyway.

Has anyone here tried the Space Empires IV game? Cool game, weak AI though. It is pretty much like MOO1 on steroids (or crack or uh.. something).

Lastly, I sure hope that the MOO3 design team gives us a kick-A__ AI.

Last edited by Spaced Cowboy; January 11, 2002 at 20:07.
Spaced Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2002, 19:31   #14
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Well, you sure get around Vel!

I am certain that your keen insights will be welcome for MOO3. I never bought Civ3 (I had a bad feeling about it from the start) and now I’m glad I didn’t waste my time and $$. I still have SMAC/X, of course, and maybe I’ll be MooooOOOOOing soon!

Hydro
Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2002, 15:56   #15
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

>>I have seen many instances where a poster makes a suggestion which is actually noticed by the developers

Actually, they solicit the fans' ideas. In fact, the fans are writing part of the game itself. Namely, the "Events" part of the game. I think that is why there are so many data dumps. So that you can actively suggest cool events. They're supposed to want 1000's of events, so you're not likely to ever see the same event twice. I hope that after the game is released they will continue to program more events in subsequent patches.
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2002, 18:45   #16
Sencho
Warlord

Local Time: 11:05
They not only listen to posters, but they occasionally impress them into service (myself being one of those.)

As for events, they do indeed want a lot of them. And there will be quite a lot of them. However, the data dumps are actually for the fans consumption so you know where QS is going and find errors or provide better suggestions to make Moo3 the best TBS yet.

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain
Sencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2002, 11:22   #17
Garth Vader
King

Has anyone here tried the Space Empires IV game? Cool game, weak AI though. It is pretty much like MOO1 on steroids (or crack or uh.. something).

Yes, it wasn't bad, but not as good as Moo1. For one thing the tech is the same each game. The best thing about Moo1 is that you get a random tech selection, so you never have access to the same techs. Makes designing ships different each game!

The other bad thing is the warp point based movement system. Once I found a chokepoint system I'd build space stations and a battlestation at the warp point and the AI could never get through. Takes all the strategy and tactics out of the game.
Garth Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2002, 12:29   #18
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

""The other bad thing is the warp point based movement system. Once I found a chokepoint system I'd build space stations and a battlestation at the warp point and the AI could never get through. Takes all the strategy and tactics out of the game.""

I never got that far. Once I had fighters, it was all over but the crying. I was too busy expanding straight through the AI to build spacestaions. Also the AI never could use missle weapons effectively (if at all).
Old January 15, 2002, 17:19   #19
pchang
King

Pax Imperia 2
I really liked the look and feel of Pax Imperia 2. The only problem was that it was too easy to just conquer the universe with an early fighter based rush strategy. I would make early carriers by putting fighter bays in transports.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
pchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2002, 17:20   #20
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Thanks again guys! I've not played MOO or MOO2, but just got my hands on the original, and will start plowing through it to see what the genesis of the series was like....working up to MOO2 while waiting for the sequel....
Be sure to give us your thoughts on MOO and MOO2 when you have time.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2002, 15:18   #21
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Space Empires IV has one feature that I like, the ability to build ships and test them against any known ship. One thing I asked them to correct and they said they would, but have not, the log. GOTO from an event and then come back and wonderer where you were in the log list. Why not at least grey out entries that have been selected. It is colorful and interesting, but I have not played it as often as I did SE3.
Pax2, I was just wishing I still had this one. The one thing I hated was the spying. You could steal a whole system? It had a long tech tree and lots of things to build.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 07:21   #22
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Good to see you around these parts Vel.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 12:04   #23
Master Marcus
Prince

Space Empires IV is not bad, but for a game released 4 years later ( 2000) than MoO2 ( 1996 ), with a AI not stronger than MoO2 and some unbalanced features - not to mention an incomplete graphics&sound design-, it shows how much MoO2 is a legendary classic hard to beat in the genre. Again, have to wait for MoO3.