Old January 30, 2002, 09:59   #151
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 21:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
12 Norwich is destroyed, but from the ruins a Great Leader arises. The old one who had been hanging around St Ralph is sent to Minas-Morgul to help finish off the Hanging Gardens. He’d been making a nuisance of himself down the pub anyway.
Sorry for interrupting your game, but I have a small favour to ask for.

Gillskill: there is a hot debate in the strategy section about the possibility of having two leaders at once. Did you actually have the two leaders at once, or did you first ruch the Hanging Gardens before the new one emerged? Could you be so very kind to post the savegame or a screenshot?

Again, I´m sorry for interrupting your thread (seems you guys have a great game going on here), but this would prove the matter once and for all.
Old January 30, 2002, 10:15   #152
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
I've had two leaders at once (not in this game, at least not during my turn). Don't have a saved game to prove it, though.

I've been playing as the war-mongering Americans using the Marla's Map scenario (very cool - I highly recommend it), and was at war with 12 other Civ's at one point. I have the Military Academy to build armies now, if I care to use them, so whenever I've earned a Great Leader, I ship him home to finish off a Wonder (this, as you may imagine, has increased my advantage significantly).

Being able to rush "Theory of Evolution" when I was already ahead of the rest of the pack by at least two scientific advances has placed me squarely at the top of the world. I've actually been hobbling myself a bit by doing some governmental experiments.

Let me dispel the notion that Communism is an effective government for sprawling empires. All it did for me was increase corruption at home, and did little to reduce it on the few cities I had abroad. I spent a few decades with it, and have now descended back into Anarchy so I can switch to Democracy (I had previously spent most of the game as a Republic; the "whip" of Despotism was helpful early on when I wanted to conquer the Aztecs and Iroquois and fulfill my "Manifest Destiny").

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...
Old January 30, 2002, 21:07   #153
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 20:06
After the death of the great Yanni Ioannes another French nobleman with a long line of ancestors was called by The Council of the Wise to be the next leader of mighty France: the Chevalier d'Ralph.

1 - 830 AD
D'Ralph looked up all cities and sees happy people and lots of entertainers. "What are you enjoying?", he asked, "we have war! Time for the entertainers to do some productive work." In Minas-Morgul the construction of the Cathedral was interrupted for a greater project: The Sistine Chapel. After 4 entertainers were sent to the mines and in the forests, the city had enough production to complete the work in 33 turns. Workers were ordered to mine 3 nearby hills, to speed the construction of the great project still more.
At the front, a Russian Archer unit was destroyed and a worker captured.
The production in Markopolis was switched to settlers.

2 - 840 AD
Smolensk deposed our governor and pledged allegiance to the treacherous Russians. One swordsman unit was lost. D'Ralph orders to retake the city immediately and to punish the citizens for their insolence. A french unit of swordmen took the city back without losses. Meanwhile, other units of our mighty army took Tbilisi.
Founded Port Baguette at the Isula non Inhabitat.
Our trade agreement with the puny Greeks expired and was re-negotiated. The price for selling them gems has been doubled from 3 to 6 gold per turn. The ivory trade has been prolongued for the same price, 5 gold per turn.
D'Ralph orders to raise the science rate to 70%. This speeds up our research pretty much.
Liverpool and Brighton were ordered to produce settlers, their present production has been cancelled.
Coventry and Oxford were noticed to be undefended, their temple production was changed to Pikemen. Chevalier d'Ralph spent lots of gold out of the treasury to finish their production in just one turn.

3 - 850 AD
Minsk was caught to be in civil disorder. 2 of our glorious horsemen captured the city without own losses.
3 swordsman divisions got order to attack St.Petersburg.

4 - 860 AD
Our army was ambushed in the North of Minsk by the Russian archery. They lost 2 archers, we 1 horseman in the battle.
Port Madeleine founded south of the Glittering Mountains, at the ruins of a destroyed Russian city.
2 swordsmen units were sent to besiege Moscow.

5 - 870 AD
Americans found Denver in the southern city site of the Isula non Inhabitat. The galley with our settlers, being half-way to the lost city site was redirected to the Norwhich Island.
Smolensk again deposed our governor and pledged allegiance to the evil Russians. Another swordsman unit was lost. Two units of swordsmen were called back to retake the city.
Liverpool finishes settlers. They are sent to the russian front to eventually refound a city in case one is destroyed.
Riots occured in Minsk and Tbilisi. D'Ralph decided not to send the supply of cow tongue to both cities and let all citizens collect taxes for the next couple of turns. This will hopefully starve the riots out.
Founded Saint Croissant halfway between Ivory Coast and Nottingham, to fill another gap in our empire.

6 - 880 AD
Our victorous armies at the Russian front need reinforcements. Too many units were lost in the city flips and to garrison the captured towns. Napoleons army and a few swordsmen, hanging around in the former England were sent north-east, but it will take long till they arrive.

7 - 890 AD
Our alchimists invented invention and were told to work on a dangerous substance called gun powder.
Smolensk was taken back without French losses and also flooded with taxmen, to punish the citizens for their insolence.
Our assault force near St.Petersburg was ambushed by the Russian archery and won the battle without own victims. A counter-attack killed 2 spearman units, defending the city. There's still one archer left. The city will be ours in 10 years, no doubt.

8 - 900 AD
As expected, St.Petersburg has fallen. The Russian Front badly needs reinforcements. A few city governors were ordered to switch from useless libraries and temples to military units.
Founded Chateau d'If at Norwhich Island.
Civil disorder in Gillham and Kiev. Chevalier d'Ralph decides to allow the city governors to hire some entertainers. He looks for the old cultural advisor, Elvis d'Presley, and can't find him anywhere. He orders his heralds to seek for him in the whole empire. For a long time there was no response. Finally, the happy news reached the Palace:

ELVIS IS ALIVE!

9 - 910 AD
Riots in Markopolis and Edaron give Elvis lots of work. The building of the Cathedral in Gillham was rushed with gold in order to have another productive and reliable city to train military units for our glorious Russian front.
In Minsk an assault force is formed, to attack Moscow soon. Due to some heavily injured units d'Ralph orders to give them 2 turns break.
Russia tried to sue for peace, but we refused to acknowledge their envoy. It's not yet worth to break our alliance with Germany. It lasts 2 more turns, and hopefully we will have taken Moscow in a couple of turns, to weaken Russia still more. But d'Ralph is aware, that France needs peace.

10 - 920 AD
A Longbowman unit was trained in Jaipur and sent toward the Russian front. It will, no doubt, show the puny Russian archers the might of the French archery.
The Germans found New Berlin at the Isula non Inhabitat, north of Port Baguette and quite close to this city and the Aztec city Tepetlaoxtoc. We have now 4 countries having hold of this island. Someday, only one will be left. In due time!

---

So far about the first half of Chevalier d'Ralph's reign. The 2nd half will follow either tomorrow, or the day after. Hopefully I'll get the time.

Last edited by Sir Ralph; January 31, 2002 at 19:11.
Old January 31, 2002, 03:23   #154
Giovanni August
Warlord

Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Uhm!
It looks like the Russian are about to give up!
Good Job Good Job! Keep it up buddy!

Saluti
Old January 31, 2002, 19:07   #155
Harovan
staff

11 - 930 AD
One horseman unit lost during an attack of 3 archers at our Russian front army. 2 Archer units killed in the counter-attack.
The alliance with Germany against Russia has expired and was cancelled by France's request. We may now make peace if we wish.

12 - 940 AD
Another horseman retreated injured by an ambush of the Russian archery. He was taken back to Minsk to heal. 4 swordsman units are approaching Moscow. It is in civil disorder.

13 - 950 AD
The assault force is approaching Moscow.

14 - 960 AD
Our glorious armies captured Moscow without own losses. Russia is defeated. Chevalier d'Ralph meets Czarina Catherine for peace negotiations. The Russians beg desperately for peace. D'Ralph remains merciless and demands Odessa, Yakutsk, Vladivostok, the Russian world map and all their gold (only 11 coins) for a Peace agreement. Catherine has no other choice and agrees. FRANCE IS VICTORIOUS! (Did anyone expect something else? )
Our mystics discover gunpowder. This will give us the opportunity to train Musketeers with deadly weapons. A strange white powder was found in our deserts, plains and mountains. The scientists call it saltpeter. France is very rich of it, we have 2 deposits already connected to our road network, and at least 6 unconnected deposits. Because the war is over, Ralph orders to discover Education next, as a base for buildings and wonders of science and arts, that will bring the enlightened people of France to a prosper and peaceful future.

15 - 970 AD
Measures were taken, to bring the French economy back to peace production and infrastructural improvements.

16 - 980 AD
Disorder in Liverpool. Elvis was called to entertain the citizens. Ralph wonders, why the people are still revolting. The war is over and France is on the way to an enlightened future.
A cathedral is built in Edaron. And the people rejoyced.

17 - 990 AD
Workers around Minas-Morgul finished mining and road building. We expect the completion of the Sistine Chapel in only 11 turns. Because most of the citizens work in the mines and forests, the city produces not enough food, but the granary prevents starvation.
Ralph spends a few coins to finish the cathedral in Markopolis.

18 - 1000 AD
The Americans and the Aztecs were reported to compete with us in building of the Sistine chapel. But their chances to complete it before us are rather low.
The millennium starts with another great project. In Markopolis a famous inventor named Leonardo started to build his workshop.

19 - 1010 AD
The German-Russian war is still not over. A russian archer has been sighted ambushing our former ally Bismarck, but he was crushed utterly.

20 - 1020 AD
Civil disorder in Rusty city, but nothing serious. In the western part of our empire still 2 German archers are slowly going north. Ralph thinks about granting them right of passage again, but decides to leave this to the will of his successor. In Karachi a galley is started to build, maybe it will be finished as caravel, as our sages just discovered Education and were ordered to research the science of sun, moon and stars. Near Calcutta, settlers and pikemen are waiting for the new ship, to sail far far in the wild sea.

Chevalier d'Ralph retires after 200 years, leaving a peaceful, rich and prosper France to his successor. We are technical leaders, will discover Astronomy in 6 turns, probably win the race for the Sistine chapel, own 763 gold coins, while making 33 per turn.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1030ad.zip (311.9 KB, 4 views)
Old January 31, 2002, 19:54   #156
Giovanni August
Warlord

Good work Chavelier d'Ralph
Soooo
Now it is the turn of Fredric Drum..... but if I remember right he said that he is not able to play....
It should be Fredric Drum or FNBrown turn!

Saluti
Old January 31, 2002, 20:51   #157
FNBrown
Prince

Nicely done, Sir Ralph... We've effectively spanked all of our aggressive neighbors into polite submission.

If Fredric has not changed his mind, I'll try to take my turn this evening sometime.
Old February 1, 2002, 02:09   #158
Giovanni August
Warlord

Ehi!
I just saw that I'm a Chieftian and no more a Settler !!!!!!!!!
(see belowe my name on the left)

What happend????

Did I do something nobile to be upgraded from Settler to Chieftan???
Boh???

Saluti
Old February 1, 2002, 05:21   #159
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni August
Did I do something nobile to be upgraded from Settler to Chieftan???
Guess you sent your 30th posting, that did it. I think this whole "Get credits for trolling. Get more credits for more trolling. Etc." system can be safely ignored .
Old February 1, 2002, 21:18   #160
Giovanni August
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Guess you sent your 30th posting, that did it. I think this whole "Get credits for trolling. Get more credits for more trolling. Etc." system can be safely ignored .
Oh...... I see!
I will not be able to post/play today and tomorrow, I can only on Sunday!
I just wanted to tell you in case FNBrown is done with his turn on one of those day!

saluti
Old February 2, 2002, 03:21   #161
FNBrown
Prince

I've been having trouble with my ISP recently - but I should be back online now, and able to download the game when I get home from work. Sorry for the delay - but I hope to take my turn sometime Saturday.

- Franklin
Old February 3, 2002, 04:06   #162
FNBrown
Prince

The Reign of Emperor Franklin the Second

Introduction - Part One

It is late in the year 1030 A.D. Following the triumphant and prosperous reign of Chevalier d’Ralph, the mighty French Empire cries for new leadership.

Pepe Merlot sat at the conference table in the great hall of the palace at Markopolis, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the rest of the council. The Empire was without a clearly defined successor again, and it was time to find a new leader. As General Bonaparte finally arrived, Pepe called the meeting to order.

“Once again, we are left without an heir to the throne. Didn’t you get that memo about finding a companion for Chevalier d’Ralph?” Pepe glared across the table at the cultural advisor.

Elvis sheepishly cleared his throat, “Uhh… yeah, that memo. Well, you see, Pepe, there were all these nice girls that responded to that personal ad and all, and well, you know, they could have been spies or something, so I’ve been busy, umm… testing their loyalty to France. Uhh-huh… that’s it.”

Pepe rolled his eyes and acknowledged Charles de Gaulle, chief Foreign Advisor. “Yes, Chuck? What is it?”

De Gaulle stood up. “Why are we even worrying about this? I thought we were going to have an elected leader? Aren’t we supposed to be a republic now?”

Pepe exchanged a serious glance with de Gaulle, then with Bonaparte, d’Presley, and the rest of the council. De Gaulle was a little new.

The table erupted with laughter.

De Gaulle was not amused. “What’s so funny about that?”

Pepe waved his hand, suppressing the lingering snickers around the table. “My dear Charles, the good people of France rather enjoy the notion of self-government. We let them cast their cute little ballots for all manner of referendum and choose from a select few who will be their representatives here in Markopolis, but do you really think these elections mean anything? France has always been a dictatorial empire, and always will be. Every election is window-dressing. Every member of the senate is hand-picked by the emperor and the members of this council. Our next leader will likely emerge from the same bloodline as any one of our previous emperors, just as it has always been. Sure, we’ll ‘elect’ him. But all those fools running around London and Minas Morgul and Edaron and Saint Ralph getting signatures to appear on the ballot for the primaries are wasting their time. The emperors of France are chosen by a divine power that even we don’t understand, and it’s time we got down to the business of making sure that we haven’t overlooked any possible heir so far.”

De Gaulle sunk into his chair, a bit chastened, but wiser still. The council meeting continued, with its members unaware that forces deep within the palace were already at work to resolve their dilemma.

Neville Chamberlain had no idea what day of the week it was. If you asked him, he couldn’t tell you his age, or how long he’d been living in the dungeons of the palace at Markopolis. All he knew was that he was Neville Chamberlain; an Englishman. He knew this, because the ghost reminded him of it every day.

The tormented soul of Emperor Franklin the Merciless lurked deep within the dark recesses of the palace, until now content with his daily torture of the English prisoner. That morning, as the council met several stories above him, he was stricken with a new sense of purpose. He appeared in Chamberlain’s cell, as usual. “Good morning, Neville.”

Chamberlain had grown accustomed to the apparition. He had grown used to the fact that he would never have more than a moment’s peace before it would appear to disturb him from it. He had really done nothing to deserve it, save being born English, and being taken prisoner while he was a diplomatic envoy during their war with France. Still, this morning, he had been caught a bit off-guard. The ghost never bothered with many pleasantries before. “What do you want? I wasn’t even sleeping.”

Emperor Franklin assumed a more clear and natural form. Usually, he appeared to Neville as a ghastly and rotted corpse, complete with the accompanying smells. This day, he looked like a tired old man. “Neville, I’ve decided that I’m done tormenting you.”

Chamberlain only chuckled. “You don’t expect me to fall for that, do you? You’ll sell me on this ‘nice guy’ routine only to relax me, so you can simply jar me from it later. Why don’t you stick to the regular gig? You know; the moaning, screaming, blood-from-the-walls routine? That one is pretty effective.”

Franklin’s ghost merely shook his head. “No, I mean it, Neville. I’ve discovered why I have no peace in this place. I went to my grave angry at the English, and I swore to torment them for all eternity. When France began to conquer England, I grew more and more powerful, and I was sure that was a sign of my redemption. But there hasn’t been an England for many, many years. And I’m still here. I think there’s another reason why.”

Neville indulged the spirit. “Alright, then. Why do you think you’re still here?”

“History recorded me as Emperor Franklin the Merciless. It was for good reason. I waged the first of many great wars for France, starting with the Indians, and then later, the English and Russians. Two whole civilizations are now completely gone from the Earth as a result, and there’s not much left of Russia anymore. But, what’s worse is I caused so much of my own countrymen’s blood to be spilt as a consequence of my campaigns.”

Neville remembered it well. His own Queen Elizabeth was reluctant to employ the cruel forced labor that France had used to conquer England and India, and that had probably led to their downfall. “Good. So, what? You’ll leave me alone now?”

The dead emperor grinned. “Don’t be a fool. I haven’t gone soft or anything. I need your help, and you’re going to give it to me.”

“Why should I?”

“Do you want to be free?”

“That’s a stupid question… oh, wait… there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”

The ghost glared, “Mind your tongue, Englishman. I am offering you my word that you will be granted freedom if you perform a task for me. I suggest you take it seriously.”

“Fine. What is it?” Neville still didn’t believe him, but this discussion beat having the cell flooded with rats or locusts or whatever else the spirit chose to summon.

“I have to make amends for what I have done to France. I can do this by giving them an heir.”

Neville had to laugh. “With all due respect, your Excellency, I don’t think you’ve got the equipment to do that anymore.”

“Just because you’re a fool doesn’t mean you have to always open your mouth and make it obvious, Neville. Now, listen. I came from a nomadic tribe in the Glittering Mountains many years ago to seize the throne and rule France with an iron fist. I had a younger brother then, and he has since carried on my family line. None of the council knows this, and, frankly, they won’t believe you if you tell them. I cannot speak to anyone but the English, and those of my family. I also cannot leave this palace. Therefore, you are my only earthly agent. Take these.” The ghost handed Neville a sealed scroll, and a ring bearing his family crest.

“What’s this?” Neville asked.

“The scroll contains a letter with maps and instructions for my heir. His name is Marcus Ferus, and he leads my tribe somewhere in the mountains Northwest of Ferusopolis. They cannot be found unless they wish to be. The ring will have to lead you to them. Put it on.”

Neville put the ring on. It was lodged firmly on his right index finger. “Hey… it won’t come off.”

The Emperor grinned again. “None may remove it, except for my heir, and so long as you wear it, I will know your whereabouts and be able to torment your dreams. I hope this will prove a sufficient incentive to complete my errand. When you have delivered the ring and the scroll to Marcus, you are free to go.”

Neville replied, “That’s all well and good, but how am I supposed to get out of here to begin with?”

With a loud concussive blast, the wall at the back of Neville’s cell exploded outwards, exposing a tunnel behind. “Follow that tunnel to the left. It’s the sewage drain for the palace.”

“That would explain the odor.”

“Do not delay. The guards are on the way, and will surely behead you for attempted escape.”

Neville clutched the scroll and hurried down the tunnel, unsure of where he was going or how he would manage to get there.

Neville emerged from the sewage tunnel beneath the palace and into the twilight. It had been more years than he could remember since he had been outdoors. His reverie was interrupted by a woman’s voice coming from the bank of the Edaron River which he was now standing in.

“Are you Neville Chamberlain?”

Neville looked around. “I don’t suppose there are any other Chamberlain’s about anymore. Who are you? And how could you possibly know my name?”

The woman spoke in hushed tones as Neville waded towards her. “A ghost appeared before me yesterday and told me to meet you here. I thought for sure I was out of my mind, but I was too scared to disobey. This is for you.” She handed him a knapsack.

“What’s this?”

“There are clothes, food, and some money in there. For your trip, he said.” She looked confused, yet relieved to be done with her task.

“I don’t understand. He just told me that he could only speak to his family, and to the English…”
The woman replied. “My mother was sold into slavery to the mayor of Edaron after the French-English war. He is my father. I was only here in town to study at the library when the ghost of the Emperor appeared to me last night.”

“But he cannot leave the palace…” Neville replied.

“I am staying at the palace. Accommodations were provided to me as a courtesy because of my father’s station. You had better get going. The guards will be looking for you. Take the road east from town to Port Madeline, then head north into the mountains. He says the ring will guide you from there.”

The woman hurried off before Neville could ask any further questions. He quickly changed into the clothes he had been given, and started for the road to Port Madeline.

It was nearly a month later when Neville finally reached the encampment of the Ferus clan in the Glittering Mountains. He was captured by a burly and bearded sentry before he actually saw the small village of tents and lean-to’s. Were it not for the ring on his finger, he would have likely been slain immediately. Instead, he was brought before the chieftain.

Marcus Ferus was much younger than Chamberlain had expected. He could not have been older than 20, and he was unusually clean-shaven for his tribe. He bore the stature of his proud bloodline, but there was more than just fierce strength to the man. Neville stood on the small carpet that served as the floor to the Chieftain’s tent. Marcus sat at a wooden desk amidst a stack of scrolls and books. He was looking at the contents of the scroll that Chamberlain had brought him. He finally spoke.

“This is incredible. My great-great-great-great-great-great grand-uncle, the former Emperor of France, leaves instructions for an heir that remain undelivered for generations until a decrepit English prisoner finds his way to my camp and hands them over to me, claiming to be operating under instructions from a ghost. You’ll pardon me, Mr. Chamberlain, but contrary to what my chosen surroundings may suggest, I’m a tad more educated than one who might fall for such a ruse.”

Chamberlain replied. “What ruse? What have I to gain from this? What do I care if you ride into Markopolis and proclaim yourself Emperor or not? Why else would I go on this infernal journey? I could have run back to London to look up old relatives upon my escape; instead, I’ve gone in the exact opposite direction and found my way to a hidden tribe of people that most say only exists in legend and have risked death from starvation, exposure, and wild animals to deliver that scroll to you. Personally, I don’t give a rat’s ass what you think. All I want is for you to take this ring off my finger so that your dear uncle will let me sleep at night.”

Marcus gave Neville a wry grin. “What if your years of captivity have merely made you insane? Am I to abandon my people to see if your story is true? When my father was still alive, I was free to wander a bit; to see the world. He thought it would make me a better leader when my time came to assume command of my people. But now I do not have that luxury. Winter is upon us, and I am not about to leave here on your word alone.”

“I don’t care what you do. Please, just take this damned ring from me so I can go in peace.” Neville extended his hand towards Marcus.

“Very well. It bears my family crest, anyway.” Marcus took the ring from Neville’s hand, and a sudden gust of wind blew through the camp, shaking the tent, and giving off an eerie howl. Marcus heard a voice whisper to him as he placed the ring on his own finger:

“You are to be Emperor. Do as the scroll instructs. Return to Markopolis, and I will speak with you further.”

Marcus slumped in his chair, stunned at the revelation. “Mr. Chamberlain, you are free to go as you wish. If you require provisions, my people will provide them. I will be heading to Markopolis in the morning. You are welcome to accompany me. I imagine you’ll have no trouble continuing to London from there.”

Chamberlain gave his thanks and followed a guard out the door. Marcus returned to the scroll on his desk and studied it more closely. He would not sleep much that night.

Old February 3, 2002, 05:57   #163
FNBrown
Prince

The Reign of Emperor Franklin the Second

Introduction - Part Two

Neville noticed that the return trip to Markopolis was much faster when taken without the burden of traveling as a fugitive only at night, not to mention on the back of a sturdy horse. Marcus’s party arrived at the steps of the palace in the midmorning just four days later. He demanded an immediate audience with the Secretary of State. The guard at the door was not accommodating. “You’ll have to wait. Secretary Merlot is with the council in main hall right now, and cannot be disturbed.”

“The council? Even better. Please stand aside.” Marcus pushed his way past the guard and strode towards the main hall. The guard’s attempts to stop him were discouraged by the tip of the sword of one of Marcus’s sentries.

Marcus threw open the doors to the main hall and strode towards the conference table and the dumbfounded council members. Only Bonaparte rose and objected, “Who do you think you are, barging in here like this? I will have your head on a pole!”

Marcus ignored Napoleon and took the vacant seat at the head of the table. “I am Marcus Ferus, heir to the crown of Emperor Franklin the Merciless. I am here to claim my birthright.”
Pepe cleared his throat. By now, an entire company of pikemen had entered the room, and was awaiting orders. Bonaparte was fuming, and likely to have the man skewered if he didn’t defuse the situation quickly. “Well, Mr. Ferus; as you may imagine, our council would like to have some sort of evidence to substantiate your story. You wouldn’t believe how many people approach the palace with claims of royal ancestry.”

Nobody seemed to find any humor in Merlot’s remark. Instead, Marcus leaned forward and spoke. “I have come with great haste from my tribe in the Glittering Mountains to fulfill this mission. The ghost of my ancestor has summoned me to this, and I will not be deterred. Besides, you have no other heir, and I know you have no intention of holding a legitimate election.”

“Now, hold on just a moment. What makes you think the French elections are anything but legitimate?”

“The walls of this palace have ears, Mr. Merlot. I know a great deal of what is discussed in this very chamber. I have spent the last four nights hearing the history of the Empire in my dreams as it has been observed by my uncle from every room in this palace since his death. I know of General Bonaparte’s failure at Delhi. I know of Doctor Pasteur’s scientific research, including his present studies in astronomy, and some bizarre process he’s working on to make milk safer to drink. I know of Mr. d’Presley’s penchant for fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Shall I continue?”

The council sat stunned. Bonaparte finally spoke. “Clearly, you have very good spies here within the palace. I will have you taken into custody and tortured until you have divulged your agents’ identities.”

Just then, that familiar, yet eerie wind blew through the great hall. Marcus’s eyes began to glow, as if possessed, and he spoke with the voice of his ancestor. “I have had enough of this insolence!”

The wind blew stronger still, and the council trembled. Marcus drew his sword, and bore down upon Bonaparte. “You failed me all too often before, and now you disgrace my heir with your infernal impertinence! You will pay with your blood!” Marcus had Bonaparte pinned to the chair, his sword pointed at his throat. Just then, Chamberlain screamed.

“No!”

Suddenly, Marcus seemed to snap out of his trance. The wind died down, and he dropped his sword and released Bonaparte, who was now sitting in a puddle of his own urine.

Chamberlain advanced toward the table. “Emperor Franklin the First said that he had summoned his heir to make amends for all the blood he had shed. Your reign should not begin with the same kind of cruelty his was known for.”

Marcus stepped back to his place at the table and spread his hands before the council. “The Englishman is right. I did not come here to seize the throne with bloodshed. If I have not proven my claim, and if you truly have a better leader in mind, then so be it. I will gladly return to my people in the mountains.”

Pepe spoke. “Will you excuse us for a moment? We need to discuss this recent, umm, development.” Marcus nodded, and was escorted from the room.

Marcus and his party left the palace and headed for The Rusty Guillotine, a popular inn and pub often frequented by members of the senate and other government officials. Neville joined them for lunch.

“You should try the french fries, Mr. Chamberlain. I hear they’re fantastic.”

“French fries indeed. Hah! In London, they’re served with cod, and we call it fish ‘n chips.”

Marcus smiled. “Fair enough. Waitress, bring us two orders of fries and, do you have any codfish?”

The waitress was happy to accommodate them. Marcus turned to Neville. “So I suppose you’ll be off to see what’s left of England?”

“Yes. I think I’ve had my fill of this part of the country for now.” Just then, a palace guard entered the dining room and approached the table.

“Secretary Merlot requests your presence at the palace.”

Marcus replied. “Of course. We’re just about to have lunch. Care to join us?”

“No, thank you. I’ll be waiting outside.”

Marcus and Neville finished lunch and said their goodbyes. Marcus joined the guard and walked back to the palace, where he was escorted to Pepe’s office.

“The council has considered your claim, and it has been decided. You will be ‘elected’ Emperor of France next month. You may, however, begin moving into the palace and organizing your cabinet.”

Marcus replied. “I’m quite happy with the council that we have now. I don’t expect to make any changes.”

“Well, Napoleon has resigned. Job related stress, he says. Besides, his brother’s been trying to get him to open a saltpeter business near Saint Ralph for months now, and the money should be really good. You’ll need a new defense secretary.”

“I’d appreciate it if you would assemble a list of candidates. Anything else?”

“We’ll need to know your title.”

“I should like to be named Emperor Franklin the Second. It is my wish to renew the legacy of my predecessor.”

Pepe nodded. “Very well. We’ll meet with the council again next week. Good luck, your Excellency.”
Old February 3, 2002, 08:25   #164
FNBrown
Prince

And so begins the reign of Emperor Franklin the Second. This is his history:

1 1030 AD – The ghost of Emperor Franklin the First looks at the map of France over Marcus’s shoulder and says, “Man, things have changed an awful lot since I was in charge.” He looks at the German cities of Dortmund and Brandenburg right smack in the middle of our territory and remarks, “Just one little war? Pretty please?” Marcus declines… he wishes his to be an era of peace and prosperity. Workers are assigned to keep, well, working. Horsemen are directed towards our border near Leipzig. Just in case. Saint Ralph completes its aqueduct and is ordered to begin work on a cathedral. The resistance in Dover ends.

2 1040 AD – Franklin II sends out his diplomatic envoys to greet the rest of the world leaders. He arranges to sell excess spices to Russia for 2 gold per turn, and gems for 1 gold per turn. They’re still not happy with us.

3 1050 AD – Gems are sold to America at 7 per turn. The Aztecs have Chivalry – we acquire it for Education. Since they’ll just sell it to everyone anyway, we sell Education to Germany for 4 per turn and 13 lump, Russia for 4 per turn and 11 lump and world map, America for 26 per turn and 17 lump, and Greece for 14 per turn and 60 lump. France is now enjoying an income of 90 gold per turn. The temples at Port Madeline and Fauteuil are rushed.

4 1060 AD – A horseman arrives at Delhi. The confused animal is decked out in shiny plate armor, as is its rider, who is given a quick course in swordsmanship and trades in his spear. The cathedral at Saint Ralph is rushed, with hopes that this will compel the nearby German cities to embrace our culture.

5 1070 AD – An uneventful turn. Roads are built, land is irrigated. The ghost of Franklin I yawns and says, “You know, when we were at war, it was always interesting.” Astronomy is discovered, and Dr. Pasteur is instructed to study Navigation, as there is much of the world left unknown and unreachable by our current naval vessels.

6 1080 AD – Swordsmen are sent towards London, in case those “cheeky Greeks” get out of line over in Troy. Another horseman is upgraded at Delhi. The damned Babylonians have finished the Sistine Chapel just one turn before us! Production at Markopolis is switched to Copernicus’s Observatory, and production at Minas-Morgul is switched to Leonardo’s Workshop (makes me wish I’d waited on those horseman upgrades now).

7 1090 AD – More uneventfulness. Looking forward to the discovery of navigation, and the completion of a caravel at Karachi, where a settler and pikeman await deployment. Leonardo’s Workshop is completed at Minas-Morgul.

8 1100 AD – Cultural expansion is enjoyed in several cities. The reign of a pacifist is seldom exciting…

9 1110 AD – Franklin the Second begins to practice needlepoint as a hobby to pass the time during uneventful cabinet meetings.

10 1120 AD – Swordsmen arrive west of London near the border of Troy. The Emperor wrestles with the moral issue of going to war out of sheer boredom…

11 1130 AD – A German swordsman is moving north towards Edaron from Brandenburg. Franklin II is heard muttering… “Go ahead… I dare you… I double-dog dare you…”

12 1140 AD – Navigation is discovered. This should prove fruitful. Pasteur gets to work on Chemistry.

13 1150 AD – Income is holding steady at around 90-95 per turn, so the science rate is bumped up a notch to improve our research rate. Our first caravel is launched from Karachi, headed due east for fame and fortune. An author by the name of Tom Clancy in Montaigne completes an international bestseller entitled “Heroic Epic.”

14 1160 AD – Franklin II finishes reading Clancy’s “Heroic Epic.” He unsuccessfully tries to sell the movie rights to America in the diplomacy screen.

15 1170 AD – France has a galley exploring uncharted seas to the west, and a caravel to the east. The Emperor hopes that the discovery of new land will occur in time to secure something for his legacy.

16 1180 AD – Franklin II orders the throne room re-painted. When asked why, he replies, “So I can watch it dry.”

17 1190 AD – Germany has eradicated Russia. We never liked them much anyway.

18 1200 AD – You’d think those boats would have hit something by now… Pasteur completes his study of Chemistry, and starts working on Physics. We’re well ahead of the rest of the pack, scientifically speaking.

19 1210 AD – Still no sign of new land. Maybe the world is flat after all…

20 1220 AD – Our Caravel to the east sights a new, unknown cultural border, but cannot reach it before Emperor Franklin II decides that two hundred years is a long enough reign for anybody, and announces his retirement.

France has enjoyed what will be remembered as the most uneventful era of its history. There were no wars, no new cities founded, and only a few wonders completed that were started by previous leaders. Franklin the Second shed no blood, and instead spent more money on science and cultural improvements than any other Emperor in history, to date. The French treasury stands at 964 gold, with and income of 17 per turn, and supports a scientific research budget of a whopping 80%. A new civilization lurks right on the horizon for our next great leader, and with that, new diplomatic contacts, and, hopefully, lucrative new markets. Germany, America, and the Aztecs all lurk to the north as strong adversaries, but are likely no match for France. Greece has very little continental presence, and the Iroquois are insignificant.

Franklin the Second is said to have returned to his tribe in the Glittering Mountains, where he enjoyed a quiet retirement. History will remember him as Franklin the Wise, for his commitment to French culture and learning.
Old February 3, 2002, 08:33   #165
FNBrown
Prince

Alright... was that lengthy enough for everybody?

After re-reading all that, I'm struck with one thought:

That's an awful lot of b.s. for a turn where basically nothing happened.

Anyhow, here's the saved game file. Good luck to the next great leader of France!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1230ad.zip (341.4 KB, 3 views)
Old February 3, 2002, 18:00   #166
Giovanni August
Warlord

So I guess is up to me now!
I will post my turn tonight!

Saluti
Old February 3, 2002, 19:11   #167
Harovan
staff

So we missed to build the Sistine by 1 turn? Sad, sad, and I let the people there starve

Good work, FNBrown, and a very nice story. Don't worry, because "nothing happened" - I think we had long enough war. And your introduction is really great, I wish I could English good enough and had enough spare time to create such a masterpiece .

But I also noticed in the 2nd half of my reign (after I made peace with Cathy), that micromanaging workers has gotten a real pain. I would not mind to Shift-A them, heck, we are industrious and if they make nonsense, it's quickly repaired.
Old February 3, 2002, 23:59   #168
FNBrown
Prince

We just missed the Sistine, but we should be in line to complete a few more wonders before anyone else.

I'm OK with automating the workers, too. Seems to be getting a bit tedious.
Old February 4, 2002, 01:58   #169
Giovanni August
Warlord

After the Death of Franklin the second “the pacifist”, the council of wise once again meets in the palace at Markopolis:

“We need to elect a wise man that will be willing to spend a lot in science” say Pasteur

“We are leading the science race” reply Napoleon “we don’t need that… It’s the military that make a nation strong, not science”

“No it’s the happiness of its people” say d’Presley

Suddenly somebody knocked at the door: It was the governor of Edaron with some Alchemist and Wise-Man!

“I know” he says

“What?!?!?” reply all the others at once.

“I did some research with some of the alchemist in my city, and we discovered the name of one of the descendant of the great Giovanni Augustus” he say “his name is Peter Augustus, he is a good family father and most of all he is so wise that people in Edaron always ask for his opinion in order to settle issue of any kind”

“Great” say Pasteur and d’Presley “He is the man”

“Yeah…..whatever” say Napoleon

“Tell him to come here…. Great news for him” say Pepe

Two days later somebody else knock at the door

“It must be him” say Pepe Merlot “OPEN THE DOOR”

The guard opens the door and a little man enters:

“Who are you?” say Napoleon

“I’m blacksmith Peter, sir, monsieur De Gaulle, governor of Edaron, told me to come here as fast as I could”

“What?? A blacksmith???! I thought that a descendant of the great Giovanni Augustus would be a noble or a knight! Not a BLACKSMITH! BWAH!”

“I’m a Blacksmith sir, that’s what I want to do the best, I don’t care too much of running as Emperor of this fake French Republic”

“All right” say Pasteur “I think we should vote now if Peter Augustus should become the new Emperor of France or not”

After half an hour of elections Pepe Merlot starts reading the vote!

So….. We have:
3 votes to Peter Augustus
1 vote to Napoleon Bonaparte
And 1 non-vote
I declare that Peter Augustus will be the next ruler and Emperor of France with the name of Giovanni Augustus II in honor of his grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand father!
This is the decision of the French People

THE REIGN OF GIOVANNI AUGUSTUS II
Turn 1: Our Caravel in the east enter this strange dark red border and made contact with a pikemen. They are speaking a strange language that nothing has in common with French. Thanks to the sign-language we are able to understand that they are called Japanese. We ask the pikeman to bring our envoy to their chief. His name is Tokugawa, he's not a very good looking man he has dark mustache and beard, he lost some teeth in a battle, We ask him contact with every civilization in their continent and their world map, In exchange they want the same thing, we accept and we are able to see a continent about the same size of ours, the largest nation is called Babylon and there is a peninsula with cities with strange name like "Zimbabwe, Swazi, Ulundi etc..." divided by a yellow a red and a light blue civilization, Tokugawa teach us that in that area once there was the puny civilization of the Zulu, now three people share that place: Egyptians, Romans and Persians. Other civilizations in that continent are the Chinese!
We know that the Japanese will probably sell our communications with the Western civilizations and we decide to contact the other civilizations and sell them our contacts in exchange of gold! Chinese give us 18 per turn and 14 lump (all their treasury), but incredibly it looks like all the others civs already knows the "western people" probably the Japanese were faster than us. So we decided to sell at least our World map before the others! The Egyptians said they don't want out map; they will pay for their decision..... Soon or later!!!! Looking at the new map we saw two new types of luxuries: Silk (mostly owned by the Persian) and Wine that is owned by almost all civs in that continent, our ambassador taste on of that wine, it's a very tasteful red drink, but they are said that there is also white! We must have this "Wine"! We are technologically a bit stronger of all of them; they are all about the same technology level of Greece or Aztecs. Pasteur said is better not to sell our technology for the moment, the only backward civilization (Rome) is too poor to afford to buy technology! All those civilizations army outnumber ours........ THAT'S NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
We plant an embassy in Athens (46 gold) and between the Eastern civilizations it looks like China is the cheapest one (62 gold)!

Turn 2: Happy Valley ask for an authorization to start a Forbidden Palace, We laugh at their proposal, our borders are not done yet, we will soon conquer our entire continent, and the city is set to build a Granary! Because it looks Leonardo has already built his workshop in the city of Minas-Mogul we decided to sell our invention to the Iroquois for 7 gold per turn and 20 lumps! Saint Ralph starts building a Colosseum so that our German neighbors will soon join our Holy Empire! Some civilizations have stopped pay tribute to us and now our economy lose 6 gold per turn, Science rate is set to 70%!

Turn 3: Dortmund and Brandenburg peacefully decide to join France, at the same moment, AWESOME! Two pikemans are already founded in those cities! Temple are started to be produced there!

Turn 4: Temple in Dortmund and Brandenburg are rushed, we discovered the secret of Physics. Pasteur is thinking of giving France a new kind of government similar to the Republic, Printing Press is started to be researched in order to discover it! Spice is sold to the Chinese for 12 gold per turn, Wine is bought from the Babylonians, we had to give them Spice, Ivory, Dye and Gems (I hope next leader will find a better treaty)! Japan buy from us spice for 9 gold/turn, Gems to Persia for 19 gold/turn, Always the Persian holds two luxuries we need.... Silks and Incense but they want Spice, Ivory plus Gunpowder for it! TOO MUCH

Turn 5: two German spearman lands near Liverpool, The French Cabinet have no idea why the Germans would sent two spearman there!!! Nothing else happened

Turn 6: Our workers finished doing a few jobs, in the palace the council is convocated to invent a few games to do while waiting those turns! d'Presley said that in the city of Liverpool he saw some Englishman playing a game with a round ball with two teams of 11 vs 11 and one player of each team may use hands to stop the ball before it could enter into a space limited by two post, Giovanni looked at one of this game and said. "Oui I like it, I want this game to be the national game of France, it will be called football" (but the Americans will call it Soccer)!

Turn 7: Civil disorder in Ioannasburg! d'Presley decide to give the citizens there a little bit of entertainment, they will finish building a temple in a few turn. Nothing else happened

Turn 8: Our Alchemist discovered the secret of Printing Press, Pasteur is said to start looking for a way to increase money circulation called "banking". The first world cup of Soccer take place in the Colosseum just completed at Minas-Mogul, It looks like we are the best and we mastered that sport.... Germans and Romans are very skillful too, but not enough to compete with us!

Turn 9: The first league with soccer clubs starts in France, the Edoran team wins it!

Turn 10: Copernicus complete is observatory in Markopolis! The city starts building a University to help the great astronomer in his exploration of the space!

(I will post the rest of it tomorrow, didn't have time to finish it today)

Saluti
Old February 4, 2002, 04:34   #170
Harovan
staff

Good job so far. Damn, I didn't expect that the two German cities defect so soon. As for the science, there are valuable wonders left in other research lines (Magellan, Newton), we should use our advance to secure them. Also, once we don't own the Sistine, having JS Bach's would be nice.
Old February 4, 2002, 05:03   #171
FNBrown
Prince

Yeah, I rushed cathedrals in our towns near the German cities to help drop the "culture bomb" on them... I've never seen it work so effectively, though. Bismark must be doing a rotten job...
Old February 4, 2002, 11:55   #172
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
Edaron Local Gazzette
In Other news, Satan, Ioannes' ancient cat has just bought a leather jacket...
--
Keep up the good work!
Old February 5, 2002, 03:02   #173
Giovanni August
Warlord

Turn 11: The Aztec is reported to building the J.S Bach Cathedral!!!!! We bought from them Music Theory for Astronomy and Printing Press (what an unfair negotiator ) those two technologies are sold to all the others because the Aztecs would sell them anyway. Minas-Morgul start once again is race to ensure that the great composer will choose that location rather than an unknown Aztec city, it should take about 28 turns, workers are sent to work on the forest around the city. Germans buy Printing Press and Astronomy for 27 slumps and 17 per turn. This will crush their economy. Americans 70 slump and 18 turn, Iroquois can not afford to, Chinese for 5turn, Furs, and 170 gold, Japanese for 80 lumps 36 turn, Persian for 1 slumps and 20 turn, Babylonians 1 slumps 2 turns (TACCAGNI!!!), Romans for 4 slumps 4 turn, Egyptians for 20 lumps 9 turn, Greeks 44 lumps! If I know the game enough well they will soon declare war on us because they can not afford all those expenditures.... We must be on alert from now on!
Spying on the city of Calixtaluhuaca (or something like this) we discover that the Aztecs will take about 36 turns to complete their Bach!
4 workers declare they want to do what they want without always asking the emperor (hope you don't mind but I’m starting to hate workers)

Turn 12: seeing an income per turn of 128 golds Giovanni Augustus decides to raise the science rate to 90%! Pasteur runs into the palace screaming about a new way to raise citizens’ income....The BANK! A new form of government more equal to all the people is start to be research, Greeks, Americans and Aztecs movements in the Southwestern see are sighted, The governors are in a state of Maximum alert!

Turn 13: German movements on the INI are sighted! Are Horseman is alerted!

Turn 14: Pressing the Holy F8 key I can see that we are amazingly the strongest civ in the world, strange to see how useless civs like Rome or Persia are ranking before the Germans, unfortunately Aztecs, Greeks and BABYLONIANS are completely bombing us with their useless culture! Library and other cultural buildings are started to be build all around France! The second football league end with the victory of the Gillham team! d'Presley personally awards the valorous athletes with the Golden Sport France Medallion (GSFM).

Turn 15: A strange morning in the Holy French Empire, it looks everything is fine, some labor are moved around in Minas Morgul so that we gain one turn in our race against the Aztecs, nothing else happened, Giovanni Augustus play a card game called "The Old Maid" with Napoleon in the palace!

Turn 16: A new form of gov't is discovered! France descend into Anarchy so that it will be possible for us to change are actual Republic into a true Democracy! Pasteur ears of a young man talking about a force that holds thing into the soil! He is interested in it and starts a series of experiment for that!

Turn 17: Giovanni hope it was a good idea to begin a revolution while we are competing with the Aztecs to have the Bach Cathedral! He's worried about not losing that race! Production is stopped everywhere and citizens are revolting.... also the Football league is stop for this turn. Luckily not big disorders have occurred yet!

Turn 18: Another Anarchy day in France, All the ministers of the cabinet are screaming around. Napoleon already killed two guards and Pasteur is shouting around theories about the Earth that goes around the sun and not like (obviously is the opposite)!

Turn 19: Giovanni Augustus see a yellow city disappear from the map. Probably Rome or Persia attacked the Egyptians! Nothing else happened!

Turn 20: Another endless day into the French Anarchy! The rebels are now seizing the palace and the guards refuse to stop them. A big stone brake one of the bog window and hit Giovanni right in the head, his skull is broken, there is not much left to do for him but it looks that nobody cares.... and people keep shouting and screaming around his dead body!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip francia.zip (365.6 KB, 4 views)
Old February 5, 2002, 03:03   #174
Giovanni August
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
Yeah, I rushed cathedrals in our towns near the German cities to help drop the "culture bomb" on them... I've never seen it work so effectively, though. Bismark must be doing a rotten job...
Too say the truth this was the first time a saw two cities at once!
But it was so cool

Saluti
Old February 5, 2002, 05:32   #175
Harovan
staff

Nicely done, Giovanni. By the way, the deal Music Theory for Astronomy and Printing Press isn't that bad, so don't worry. Music Theory is valuable, because the wonder is still "hot", while the Astronomy wonder is already built, and Printing Press is a tech with not much monetary worth, it's just a milestone, not a break-through tech. You could have haggled, offering some coins for one tech less, but I think it isn't worth to bother, the effect would be minimal.

You have noticed right, we are not the culture leaders, because we fought a lot of wars while others built the ancient wonders. But that's nothing to bother about, we have a decent empire now and are economically able to (rush) build libs, temples, unis and cathedrals in most cities. That will fix the situation soon. We're the French and ought to be the European cultural leaders and not the evil warmongers . Even though a vast part of Europe is already gone.

So who is next? Major_Tom? Are you around? You've got 3 days to make your turn and post the story.
Old February 5, 2002, 05:43   #176
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
The second football league end with the victory of the Gillham team!
"We love you Gillham, we do. We love you Gillham, we do ...."
Old February 5, 2002, 11:35   #177
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Iron Hills Herald
The mythical cat of Ioannes, Satan, has been spotted south of town in the Glittering Mountains. A worker at the Glittering Mountains Company (GMC) said that it was, quote, 'wearing a jacket made of snow.' What this may mean is still unknown as the empire is finding any means possible to restore order.
Old February 5, 2002, 17:00   #178
eddy eat world
Settler

If Major Tom doesn't turn up the next ruler of France can be . . . . . erm, whoever goes after me. I'm gonna have ot skip this turn because I have a major coursework backlogue that needs to be sorted out before the end of next week and I'm gonna have to go at it every hour god (or any other universal force/ focus of belief/ insert name of deity here) sends.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

This is what Civ does to your life.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
Old February 5, 2002, 20:01   #179
FNBrown
Prince

Good job, Giovanni... gotta watch out for those blunt objects when the empire is suffering from anarchy.

I'm sure we're going to have to conquer the rest of the continent to the north sooner or later; but I'm OK with working on building our culture rating a little higher for now.
Old February 7, 2002, 18:45   #180
Harovan
staff

Seems Major_Tom defected...

So once eddy eat world can't play right now, it's Gillskills turn again, then mine. I am unsure if I can play next week, I'll have a guest and can't spend 1 or 2 evenings playing.

About the stories... We have peace now and nothing special happens. To fight the game and story tedium, I would suggest to shorten the stories and go away from the "Ore Hills builds a granary" style, commenting the moves only if something unusual happens, or for a funny intermezzo. I have 2-3 hours to spare at my evenings, and would need full 3 days to play 20 turns on the huge map and to write a long story. And things will get worse now, because we discovered nearly the whole landmass and turns will take longer and longer. What do you guys think about this? How to solve this problem?