Old February 22, 2002, 02:01   #211
Giovanni August
Warlord

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Very nice FNBrown!
Can't wait for the remaining of your story.
I would like to be able to write such a masterpiece like you, but my english is too bad

Saluti
Old February 24, 2002, 07:21   #212
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:06
The Reign of Emperor Franklin III

Introduction - Part 3

Upon their arrival in Markopolis, Reginald, Neville, and Louis were served dinner at the palace while they briefed Defense Minister Churchill and Chief Secretary Pepe Merlot.

Churchill and Merlot were looking over some of Chamberlain’s journals and papers when Neville finally spoke up. “Look, dad always said how this ring of his was what led him to the tribe. Franklin the Second kept it, and I don’t think we’re going to find a bunch of nomadic barbarians who may not even exist in the midst of the most brutal territory on the continent with nothing more than these old journals. What’s the point of all this, anyway?”

Churchill looked up and replied, “France is without an Emperor. We are unable to find anyone of regal lineage. The Ferus Tribe has provided us with two great leaders before. It is our hope that Franklin the Second produced an heir after he retired to the mountains following his reign.”

Chamberlain replied mockingly. “Riiight. And my dad found the last Ferus emperor with the help of the ghost of Franklin the First and a magic ring… While he was at it, he stopped along the way to help some guy named Jack plant a beanstalk and then he showed little red riding hood the way to grandma’s house. Can I please go now?”

Churchill glared. “Your presence here no longer pleases me. Guards! Show Mr. Chamberlain to his father’s old cell. Perhaps that will quiet him.”

Chamberlain screamed. “This is intolerable! You can’t do this!”

“I already have, Mr. Chamberlain. Mind your tongue – we still have a few of the old guillotines around here for special occasions.”

Neville was dragged down into the dungeon and flung into the cell his father had occupied so long ago. Not much had changed – the back wall of the cell looked to be made of newer stone than the rest of the room, but aside from that, it was identical. After pacing about the small area for several minutes, Neville finally sat down on the old straw mat that had served as his father’s bed.

A gust of wind blew through the cell from nowhere, and suddenly the figure of a man appeared before Chamberlain. He stared with stunned recognition at the being his father had described to him so many times, unable to believe the sudden truth of all the stories he had been told.

The ghost spoke. “Your father wasn’t delusional, Neville. In fact, he was of remarkably sound mind. That’s probably what kept him alive in here so long.”

Neville stammered, “What do you want from me? Do you intend to torment me as you did him?”

The ghost shook his head. “No, I’m done tormenting the English. In fact, I haven’t been around here for quite some time. Your presence here got my attention. Churchill and Merlot aren’t stupid. They tossed you down here the first chance they got so that I might show up. I used to haunt any Englishman that entered the palace, but there’s been so many of them around in recent years, I’ve lost interest.”

Neville replied. “That’s great. I’m happy for you. Now how am I supposed to get out of here? Are you going to knock the wall out for me and make me slog through the sewer to escape?”

The ghost laughed, “No, no, no. Now that he’s got my attention, I can just talk to Churchill directly; he’s an Englishman. I’ll tell him to let you go, and I’ll show him how to find my people.”

“But I thought the ring led my father to the tribe?”

“The ring was a leash, Neville. I needed a way to ensure that your dad completed the mission, and while he wore it, I could haunt his dreams. I could have drawn him a map, but I doubt he would have followed it. Churchill, on the other hand, wants very badly to find the Ferus tribe. All I have to do is tell him where to look.”

With that, the ghost vanished. Twenty minutes later, a guard released Neville from his cell. He was given a horse and provisions, in addition to substantial monetary compensation for his trouble, and sent back home to London.

Reginald and Louis looked on with some puzzlement in Churchill’s office as he seemed to draw a map with instructions from an imaginary being. When he was finished, he gave them their orders. “Rest here for the night, then head to Saint Albray in the morning. Follow the map to the designated location, and you’ll find the tribe. Find out who’s in charge and bring him back here immediately.”

Reginald and Louis rode off alone at dawn. The two of them reached Saint Albray by noon, and checked into the local barracks. The general of the post said that it would be almost a full day’s ride into the mountains to reach the point indicated on their map, so they decided to stay the evening and head out in the morning.

The following afternoon they came across a barbarian sentry who led them to the tribal encampment. They were taken into a large tent and sat down before an old man who wore a heavy fur cloak. The man spoke, “What business brings you here?”

Reginald replied, “We are under official Imperial orders to bring the chieftain of the Ferus tribe to Markopolis immediately. Would that be you, sir?”

“Yes, that’d be me. And I’m not going to Markopolis.”

“Sir, I have strict orders. I will take you by force, if necessary.”

The old man smiled. “That’s amusing. I could have my men here cut you into pieces and feed you to my dogs.”

Reginald was unmoved. “You may indeed, sir. But the palace will only send more troops after me. I’m quite sure you would prefer to avoid that sort of disturbance.”

“Tell me something, young man. Who gives you your orders?”

“I report directly to Defense Minister Churchill and the Emperor.”

“Well, you can tell Churchill to suck an egg. I’m Emperor Franklin the Second, and those are MY orders.”

Reginald was stunned. Louis spoke up, “That… that’s not possible. You’d have to be hundreds of years old.”

“Clean mountain air, fresh spring water, and herbal tea works wonders. Never mind all that. France is without an Emperor again, I presume?”

Reginald regained his composure, “Yes, that’s right. We were hoping to find your heir here in the tribe, but I suppose since you’re still alive…”

Franklin held up his hand. “Don’t even think about it. I retired a long, long time ago. However, I’ll not send you back empty handed. Go to Ferusopolis and find my son, little Frank. He goes by the name Marc Francis, and he works as a blacksmith. He’s my only heir, and if you ask him nicely, he may return to Markopolis with you.”

Little Frank was not difficult to find. Reginald and Louis asked the general of the garrison at Ferusopolis for assistance locating him and were directed to a neighborhood about half a mile from the center of town where they were instructed to look for “the biggest man you’ve ever seen.”

Indeed, little Frank was anything but. He was a towering hulk that stood just over seven feet tall, with shoulders as broad as an ox. His deep blue eyes peered out from beneath a shock of dark brown hair, and he had a grin that almost made you forget he was easily capable of breaking you in half.

Reginald explained his mission, and little Frank was surprisingly affable. “Dad told me this could happen someday. I suppose if you guys can’t get him to come out of retirement, I’ll have to head back to Markopolis with you.”

Little Frank took a few hours to settle his affairs in Ferusopolis, then saddled up his horse, a stout painted draft stallion that most men could walk underneath without bending over. The horse could never match the speed of Man ‘O War, but he’d be likely to walk through an obstacle faster than a smaller horse could run around it.

Churchill called an immediate meeting of the cabinet upon the arrival of the new emperor. He was immediately dubbed “Emperor Franklin the Third” and presented to his advisors for a quick briefing.

Science Advisor Pasteur was the first to speak after the introductions were made. “Do you intend to maintain our science budget?”

The Emperor replied, “As long as the war with the Aztecs continues in our favor, and no other impending threats present themselves, I see ever advantage in keeping a strong technological lead over the rest of the world.”

Pasteur was quite satisfied. Pepe Merlot spoke next. “Your Excellency, we’ve introduced a new cabinet member in response to the people’s clamoring for more representation in their government. May I present your domestic advisor, Ms. Eva Gabor.”

Churchill leaned over and whispered in the emperor’s ear while Merlot rattled off a list of Gabor’s credentials. “It’s a token seat on the cabinet, your Excellency. She cannot vote on matters relating to foreign affairs, finance, military, or general administration.”

“That’s pretty much everything. What’s the point of having her at all?”

“Wasn’t my idea. My advice is to ignore her as a matter of course.”

“Noted.”

Gabor finally spoke up. “I actually have a question for Captain Escargot… Aren’t your men supposed to be the Emperor’s Guard?”

Reginald nodded, “Yes, why?”

“Well, I was thinking your uniforms should be a bit more regal. Maybe you and your men could wear berets, even. I’m thinking maybe something in purple…”

Reginald chuckled. “With all due respect, Madame Secretary, I have no desire to command a company of purple-headed soldiers.”

Everyone at the table laughed. Except Gabor. “I don’t get it…”

“Nevermind.”
Old February 24, 2002, 08:00   #213
FNBrown
Prince

The Reign of Emperor Franklin III

The new emperor's most pressing order of business was the Aztec war. A decision had to be made - play defense, and let German bear the brunt of the war, or take the offensive. Most of the cabinet was satisfied with remaining defensive, except Churchill. After completing a series of briefings to ascertain the state of the Empire and its military readiness, Franklin called a meeting of his cabinet.

"I've made a decision regarding the Aztecs. We cannot simply stand still and hope that the Germans keep them from invading our borders. The fact is, they declared war on us, and this atrocity must be sternly punished. Our people will grow weary of this war soon enough - if we are going to force peace, it will be done best from a position of strength.

"If we stand by and let Germany fight the war alone, one of two things will happen: Germany will clobber the Aztecs, and grow stronger, or the Aztecs will thump the Germans, and grow stronger (and closer to our own borders). The latter is more likely, but I don't particularly care for either scenario.

"We already have a significant army of swift and powerful cavalry at our disposal, with much more in training as we speak. My proposal is a swift, decisive strike on Salamanca. It is a strategically located city; a veritable crossroads between the Aztecs, Iroquois, Germans, and Americans. It also holds the Great Library. Capturing Salamanca will devastate the Aztecs, and send a clear message to the rest of the world - we will not be trifled with.

"I should also like to make one other thing clear. For the duration of my administration, I demand complete solidarity. I don't mind a difference of opinion now and then, but persistant objections will result in immediate termination. Any questions?"

None were raised. The orders for the Aztec offensive were drawn up, and troops began to mobilize.

By 1540, several cavalry regiments were nearing the Aztec border in Germany and encountering heavy resistance. The Aztecs had inferior technology but greater numbers, and the French advance was slowed somewhat, but Churchill was satisfied that the Aztec armies were being stopped well short of French soil.

In the year 1550, the first wave of French cavalry arrives at Salamanca. The initial attack is successful, and the city is captured, only to fall to a company of Aztec archers that same year. In 1555, more cavalry arrives, and the city is recaptured for good. By 1565, a substantial contingent of French cavalry is at Salamanca, and is ordered to spread out and attack any moving Aztec units.

Churchill calls a meeting of the cabinet in the year 1570, to report on the progress of the war. Emperor Franklin is pleased with the progress, but has been somewhat distracted of late; he has taken a bride, and spends much of his time with the new Empress, Sharona.

"Your report, Mr. Churchill."

Churchill points to a map depicting the region including northern Germany and the southern Aztec lands. "You gentlemen remember my predecessor, Charles deGaulle?"

The Emperor nodded. "Yes. From what I heard, my dad nearly killed him shortly before he resigned."

"Yes, well, he was re-commissioned for the war a few years ago, and given command of a company of Cavalry. His men successfully defeated three groups of Aztec knights in the mountains north of Salamanca. His exploits have made him something of a legend amongst the people now; they consider him a great leader."

Franklin grinned. "This is great news. We can use his influence to help hurry the Forbidden Palace at Salamanca. Order him to report there at once. What else do you have?"

"We've captured Niagra Falls. And the Germans have agreed to a peace treaty with the Aztecs."

"That doesn't surprise me. Our own people are getting really tired of this war - Bismark must have riots all over the place. We definately have the upper hand now. With all the cavalry in and around Salamanca, the Aztecs have no hope of gaining anything with this war. I will demand a summit with Montezuma and see what arrangements can be made."

By the year 1575, Emperor Franklin had negotiated peace with the Aztecs in exchange for 16gp per turn. In 1580, the Empire celebrated. Emperor Franklin ordered the city of Salamanca re-named after his bride, Sharona.

During the years that followed, the Empire continued to work on projects of internal growth and prosperity. All of the garrisoned French riflemen were trained with new equipment and tactics, and re-named "Infantry." In the year 1620, construction on the project of Universal Suffrage began in Edaron, and Darwin began to study his Theory of Evolution in Minas-Morgul.

Emperor Franklin III retired to Sharona in the year 1625, desiring to live on a horse ranch near the city he named for his wife. He had no adult heir at the time, and left it to the cabinet to find a new emperor.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1625ad.zip (420.6 KB, 12 views)
Old February 25, 2002, 15:08   #214
FNBrown
Prince

Sorry that took so long... I got a little carried away with my introduction.

We have more than enough firepower to have conquered the rest of the Aztecs, but war weariness was causing riots all over the country, so I decided to end it after we took two cities and got a great leader to rush the Forbidden Palace with. Since Germany had already declared peace with them, there was really no point in continuing.

I like the general location of our new territory - and all the cavalry we have stationed there is an effective strike force that could be used against any nation on our continent that gets out of line. The only drawback is that the FP is too far away to do much good for the rest of our cities, I think.

I had to turn the science rate down a bit - we started drifting into negative cash flow. We're still churning out techs at a rate of 4 or 5 turns.

So who's next?
Old February 25, 2002, 15:40   #215
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Well done, FNBrown, and nice stories! Wish I could write so good.

As to war weariness, well, ain't it time to build the Universal Suffrage? And raising the luxury slider to 10-20% always helped for me, at least for a few turns. I don't know if it's wise to build the FP for these 2 cities. May be the next player thinks about this.

Next should be Giovanni.
Old February 25, 2002, 15:48   #216
FNBrown
Prince

Universal Suffrage is under construction now...

... I suppose I could have bumped up the luxury rate, but there really wasn't much to be gained by continuing the war... I think we're getting to be a large enough empire as it is...
Old February 26, 2002, 02:54   #217
Giovanni August
Warlord

I am doing tryouts for Soccer in these days so I don't know if I can play!
I will try to play tomorrow!
If I can't I will let you know so you can just go ahead with the ext player ok?
I hope I'm not delaying anything

Saluti
Old February 26, 2002, 03:48   #218
FNBrown
Prince

Good luck with your tryouts!
Old February 26, 2002, 07:34   #219
Harovan
staff

Giovanni, I think you should take the time you need, even if you can't make it in 3 days. As long as you don't need 2 weeks or longer, it will be fine with me, and I think with the others too. There seem to be not much really active players left in this game and it's the more fun, the more participate.
Old February 26, 2002, 15:58   #220
FNBrown
Prince

I agree with Ralph... take your time... the game runs pretty slow anyway, now that we've gotten to the industrial age.
Old February 27, 2002, 03:10   #221
Giovanni August
Warlord

Ok I did my firt two turns... (not much I know)
I hope to post my 20 turns before or on Friday!
Hope before!

Saluti
Old February 27, 2002, 04:17   #222
FNBrown
Prince

Looking forward to it, Giovanni...

How's the soccer tryouts coming along?

- Franklin
Old March 2, 2002, 02:51   #223
Giovanni August
Warlord

Ok Here is a short summary:

Things are doing just fine but after 6 turns the Aztecs start moving troops into our territory!
To prevent them to attack us I sign a mutual protection pact with America (they also give us 12 gpt)
Saint Ralph began building the Intelligence Agency (I don’t like the Aztecs moves and a spy might be useful) and also if they told us they will move their forces from our territories they didn’t do! I hope they don’t want to start a war because I’m not ready to it!

The war didn’t start (pfiu), I’m intensifying the defense of the two occupied cities in order to be ready for a probable future war, The Aztecs are furious to us and they are moving troops all around the border!

The Aztecs move a couple of spearman in our territory, I ask them to remove them or declare war…. They choose the second option! In one turn we took the cities of Stuttgart and Tepexpan (or something like this) in the eastern part of the Aztecs Empire, the Aztecs counter-attack is terrible and 5 of our cavalry (one of them Elite ) are defeated (only one for them), German and America according to our MPP declare war to the Aztecs!

A spy is sent in Technochitlan and Minas Mogul just completes Darwin’s Voyage. We also learn construction from the Americans (I guess it was a bug or something )

Giovanni Augustus went with a brave group of Cavalry to fight. Unluckily his little army is defeated by a horde of Aztecs Cavalry…. The next day in the palace of Markopolis an Aztecs ambassador leave the dead body of the Emperor in front of the door, He is all covered with blood and his head is separate to the rest of the body!
His wife in Port Vert (new name on New Berlin, INI) doesn’t know anything yet!

I really tried not to go to war with them but they really forced me! Anyway the Military Advisor show that our military is really much more powerful and in our Northern French Empire with have lots of Cavalry and Infantry!!! We should not have many problems there!
Universal Suffrage is nearly completed and Battlefield Medicine has 19 turns to go!
Germany and America are supporting us.... I think we can easily take 3-4 more cities before going to peace!

Anyway now is up to you Gillskill (I guess), give to my body a decent burial ok?

Saluti
Old March 2, 2002, 02:55   #224
Giovanni August
Warlord

Forgot to post the game

Saluti
Attached Files:
File Type: zip francia.zip (380.2 KB, 7 views)
Old March 2, 2002, 02:58   #225
Giovanni August
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
Looking forward to it, Giovanni...

How's the soccer tryouts coming along?

- Franklin
Eh eh eh!
Not very good to say the truth!
I didn;t make the team , but the Coach told me to keep training with them and that he will use me in some friendly match or something like this....! I Really wanted to be part of the team.... but i guess I can deal with that...... for now

Saluti
Old March 2, 2002, 03:20   #226
FNBrown
Prince

Nicely done, Giovanni... I figured the Aztecs would try to take another swing at us... we're probably going to have to wipe them out sooner or later, but the MPP with America was a good idea... now they have a war on three fronts - not good for them.

With Universal Suffrage, we can also endure a longer conflict this time. I think they will regret their insolence...

Sorry to hear that you did not make the team this time around - best of luck with it in the future!

- Franklin
Old March 5, 2002, 02:10   #227
Giovanni August
Warlord

Yeah with the Universal Suffrage we will definetly be able to be at war much longer!

Also because we have the FP in Sharona... and we need cities to be affected by that right?

Saluti
Old March 5, 2002, 13:12   #228
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:06
What! my turn already? What about Eddy Eat World
?

I've just got it now and will get on with it. Will be looking for some rich pickings from the Aztecs...
Old March 7, 2002, 22:20   #229
FNBrown
Prince

The Aztecs are the second-largest Civ on our continent (aside from us)... so they're worth slapping around a bit. We should also make sure that the Americans don't get too big to handle.

Of course, I wouldn't mind wiping them all out and having the entire land mass to ourselves, but I'm not sure we're quite ready for that... now, when we start building tanks, that's another story..
Old March 7, 2002, 23:14   #230
Giovanni August
Warlord

And we still have the Greek Troy in the South!
I don't want to stert a war with them just for Troy! I often asked them what they want for Troy, or forced them to givi me the city.... but nothing... Greeks are tough!

I'd say to conquer also Iroquois after Aztecs.... you know.... just for fun

Saluti
Old March 8, 2002, 05:07   #231
Harovan
staff

Troy has 2 coals... "They would never accept such a deal". I rushed temples, libraries and cathedrals in the 3 cities around, but culture needs time, it's seems to be a harder nut than those 2 German cities.
Old March 8, 2002, 10:06   #232
gillskill
Chieftain

The elections that had brought Gillskill to power had been close. By a narrow majority the people of France had chosen to take the war to the Aztecs. He knew that he had a short time to achieve success in the field or the growing peace movement would ensure a rarid departure.

The terms of his coalition agreement with the Greens paved the way for his first decision: development of coal plants were stopped. Cities were put on a mobilisation footing, but only after they had first achieved a higher level of industrialisation (factories) and civil control measures were in place to act against any civil disobedience (police stations). Development in other cities was still to concentrate on their cultural development and raising taxes. To help draw the people together to fight a war that France had not looked for, but would not be ended until the Aztecs were shown their position on the continent, 10% of the national budget was spent on luxurious distractions.

The early signs were good - Rome and China joined in the fight against The Aztecs, though their support was more morale than practical. At least the Aztecs would get no supplies from them. Gillskill extended the suffrage to all women over 21. This went down well with the populace and was sure to help the war effort.

The scientists came to him and announced that they had discovered 'combustion'. This was no immediate help in the war, but Gillskill sent them away to concentrate on working towards a technology of realising a dream that he had had of vast metal machines moving across the countryside, crushing France's enemies. The scientists nodded sagely, and giggled as they left the Presidential Office.

The French forces were organised so that a massive cavalry force would drive in the Aztec heartlands, whilst an infantry force would move through the mountains to destroy communication links and mines. The plan was to have only one route joining the French and Aztec territories and funnel all reinforcements up that access, through a very efficient French and German railway systems. This would also ensure that the Aztecs would be limited in their ability to make strikes into France.

The Germans took their part of their alliance seriously and moved in force against the Aztecs. This was encouraging, but also a worry. Gillskill did not want to help enlarge Germany. Their first attack on an Aztec city in 1750 resulted in its utter destraction. At least there would be some ground to build a new French city on.

News from around the world showed that the move to war was growing. China and Persia launched attacks on Babylon, and in its turn Babylon declared agianst the Aztecs.

The first military success for Gillskill came with the capture of Tula. This encouraged the Iroquis to join with France. Gillskill doubted whether their 2 cities would be much help, and was rather wishing they had come out against him. They would have to wait for another day. America and Greece declared war on Babylon.

Initial French success continued with the capture of Tlalmanalco. [Gillskill, being confused with the spelling of Aztec cities having so many Ts, Os, Xs, and Cs, renamed it Sol. Tlaxcala [Somme] followed with a bonanza of 9 workers! Scientists announced their abilty to produce mass.

Greece declared war on the Aztecs.

The development of battlefield medicine would help in the drive into Aztec lands.

In 1766 Tlacopan [Amour]was captured, and in 1768 Texcoco [Fraternity] went the same way. By now the French industrial heartlands were pumping out cavalry and infantry units that were arriving quickly on the front line. The Aztecs had turned to Communism and were churning out inexperienced units. A settler who had been sailing the high seas for what looked like centuries had made his way to the site of the city destroyedby the Germans. Kelly was founded.

Iroquis and Japan declared war on Babylon. Persia declared war on the Aztecs.

In quick succession Malinalco [St Eglise], Calixlahuaca [Le Witt], Cempoala [Equality], Baltimore, and Teotihuacan [Nalor] dicovered the delights of French cuisine.

Germany declared war on Babylon. Japan declared war on the Aztecs.

Against a rapidly declining power French success built on success. Xochicalco [Liberty], Tenochtitlan [Sonali], Teaxo [Wynty] and Atzcapotzalco [Glace] soon fell.

The Aztecs were reduced to 2 cities. With the Americans amassed outside their capital, gillskill reached a peace agreement that ensured he received Huexotla [Peace] into French control.

After such success on the battlefield Gillskill was confident as he called new elections.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip aztec end.zip (396.3 KB, 5 views)
Old March 8, 2002, 10:17   #233
gillskill
Chieftain

So there it goes. Aztecs are all but gone. We have gained about 15 cities. In the war the Germans only got one, and the Americans are about to get their token city. By the end war weariness was starting to grow and starvation was becoming widespread and scientific development was being slowed. This will be sorted now that we have peace.

The only problem is that France is divided into 2. Germany lies between the old country and the newly conquered lands. But we do have a technological advance on them, and it will not be long before we get tanks....
Old March 8, 2002, 13:01   #234
FNBrown
Prince

Excellent job, Gillskill! What a glorious victory!

I think we should definately try to re-group and remain prepared for the inevitable conflict with Germany and America. The only real threat would be if they allied against us.
Old March 8, 2002, 15:06   #235
Harovan
staff

Very good, Gillskill. I take the control over France for the next 20 turns. My goal will be to build up some infrastructure after the long war, and to build some units for the planned conquest of Germany. I think I'll build mostly infantry and artillery units, because cavalry is outdated and can't be upgraded. Both parts of France will need a part of these armies, so I hope the RoP with Germany is still intact (didn't check it yet).

I hope I'll be able to play within the weekend, and will post the result on Monday or Tuesday.
Old March 8, 2002, 19:36   #236
Giovanni August
Warlord

Exellent work gillskill!
You really surprise me, you conquered a lot of cities and extend the conflict to almost every other civ in the world..... you couldn't done any better !

Attacking Germany will be hard..... they are very well developed and if we attack them it wouldn't surprise me that also the others civs in the world will turn around against us!

We will soon have also to go to war against America!

Saluti
Old March 9, 2002, 21:26   #237
Harovan
staff

Ok guys, President Ralph made his 20 turns. Here's shortly, what happened.

I was aware, that the peace would not last for long. As I said before, I set the priorities to mobilization of a mighty army. In cities, which didn't have much of them, I let build happiness improvements such as Cathedrals and Collosseums. The other cities were told to build half infantry, half artillery units. 2-3 coastal cities were told to build Battleships (Destroyers are crap).

Saint Ralph (the crappy gap filler city in the mountains I once founded has turned into a real jewel) begun to build a secret project. To fool our enemies, we said first, that we build another Palace for the president.

The Aztecs have been destroyed by the Germans. The city of Le Frog was founded in a big gap in former Aztec territories, to prevent Americans or Germans to settle there.

Our scientists discover Electronics. The secret in Saint Ralph was revealed to the World: We are building the Hoover Dam there.

We planted a spy in Greece and have now a full developed intelligence network.

Abe cancelled the Mutual Protection Pact, but one turn later proposed to renew it on the even. We agreed, because we don't want the Americans to ally with the Germans in case of war.

We discover Motorized Transport. Unit production was switched into Tanks. 4 turns later we discover Flight.

The Hoover Dam is ready. All our cities have a sudden production boost.

Bismarck cancelled the MPP but let the RoP agreement live. That's good, because we still need it. Hammurabi cancelled our Wine supply. We answered, that we never liked his cow piss, and it was too expensive anyway, did cost 4 luxuries.

Germany and Greece signed a MPP. Hear, hear, good to know. If we march through Germany, the Troy question will be solved as well.

Funny funny Mao wanted Steel for a World Map exchange. Well, it would be not bad to get a new map of the other continent, because it has changed during many wars. We refused to give him Steel, but offered 3 gold instead. Mao agreed.

1816, the unbelievable happened. The treacherous Americans, being our ally, declared war on us, totally unprovoked! Wave upon wave of cavalries stormed toward Baltimore and took the city finally. Oh well, it's a former American city anyway. But they will bitter pay for their insolence, France is strong. The majority of our army has been sent through Germany to fight in our Northern territory.

As an answer to their betrayal, a French Battleship sunk an American Frigate. Persia, having a MPP with America, declared war on us. Our glorious Tanks killed about 10 enemy Cavalry units, who rode deep in our territory before.

Next turn, Americans take Equality and burn it to the ground. But our main force will arrive next turn (Germany was blocking the railroad connection) and let them pay for this atrocity.

Our scientists discover Radio and were told to research Fission. Our glorious civilization entered the Modern age. Our Tanks raze Dallas, a city founded on the smoking ruins of Equality. The main forces take Ixtapaluca and are approaching San Francisco. Greece offers us a MPP. We would agree, just to lower the chance that they stab us in the back, but protection from a mighty nation like France is, of course, not gratis. Alexander agreed to pay us 20 gold per turn (this dumbass probably doesn't read newspapers ). China and Persia signed a military alliance against us, and China declared war. Funny funny.

Our armies retook Baltimore and crushed a big part of the American army. They have nor much offensive units left, but still a lot of infantries. Same turn, San Francisco has fallen to our brave cavalrists.

In this offensive, autumn 1822, President Ralph was killed by an enemy bullet during an inspection of the attacking troups.

FNBrown: You have a BIG military, 4 Tank armies, lots of other Tanks and (obsolete) cavalries, and the whole France is building new units (Tanks, a few Infantries for garrisons, and Battleships). It's up to you to involve Bismarck or not, I think we don't need him, but there is always a fear that he might ally up with Abe, and we badly need this RoP. Offensive troups are already there. In former India and Russia are 2 smaller militia, if Mr. Bismarck attacks. A reserve force is formed near Yakutsk. A Galleon with 3 tanks and 1 infantry is approaching the American city at the INI (IIRC it was Denver). We are strong and wealthy (over 10000 gold). Soon we'll launch the spaceship . Or does somebody with a conquest victory?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 1822ad.zip (412.8 KB, 7 views)
Old March 11, 2002, 05:56   #238
gillskill
Chieftain

is it just me or does anybody else have odd squares over the world that are visible for no reason? eg off the coast of New York.
Old March 11, 2002, 06:59   #239
Harovan
staff

Do you talk about those "light spots" at invisible territory, especially water? I saw them also and wondered what it is.

Btw: Since we are at war with 3 nations and have a lot of cities, I enabled the city governors for all cities and allowed them to manage moods. That prevents us from dealing with war weariness, it's sufficient every now and then raise the luxury settings and it will apply to all cities. And we don't have production problems and have no need to micromanage.
Old March 11, 2002, 21:34   #240
Giovanni August
Warlord

Great Job Sir Ralph

And Yes... I have too those light spots around the world.... But it was not the first time... I think I had them since my third turn.... but I'm not sure!

Saluti