Old August 24, 2000, 21:07   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ Differences
I know that Imran and others have posted this topic but here I will express my
ideas on the tech tree differences between civs.

Say civ 1, the Egyptians are working on the tech tree
They discover: a: Pottery
and receive Hanging Gardens

-If they build this they will receive a special *Bonus* tech, say
Advanced Farming where you would get a special city improvement; the collective city farm
where every thing is meticuously planned so you harvest more than you did before in
each square.

P.S. I realize that others have discussed wonder-specific technological trees but
I believe my post is different from theirs. (Is it so UltraSonix?) If not I will
post more if requested.
Old August 25, 2000, 08:34   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:27
Your post is good - having techs that can only be enabled for wonders is a good way to make the "lesser" wonders more, well, wonderful.

(I think it's pretty obvious that this idea is different to the issue of giving different civs their own techs/wonders.)

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 3, 2000, 19:23   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

*BUMP*

Quote Lines:
------------------------------
--So you want to be a hero...
--Something wicked this way comes...
--Farenheit 451... Whew that's hot!
--Settler- From NONE, Chieftan- of Peril, Warlord- of the Ring, Prince- of Persia, Emperor- of Evil, Deity- of too much time on ones hands.
Old September 13, 2000, 21:33   #4
DarkCloud
staff

*BUMP!*
(This is where 10% of my posts come from- ressurecting dead threads)
Old September 14, 2000, 01:26   #5
UltraSonix
King

As well as wonder specific techs, like I've said in another thread, there should be techs which follow a common theme, and it would allow a civ to choose to go down a specific tech path.

But for this to work, there should techs which have "OR" prerequsite requirements.
eg. In the Green tech sub-tree there could be a tech Human Rights which would require Labour Union.
But in the Militaristic tech tree, Human Rights might require Organised Labour (because Labour Union isn't available in the tech "branch").
(The techs/tree names are only used to illustrate the idea.)

This might sound a bit confusing, so give a yell if that's the case and I'll try to clarify my idea.

------------------
Old September 15, 2000, 05:39   #6
rremus
Warlord

There should be a clear difference in playing different civ's, not only the name!
Even terrain types should give different resources for different types of civ's. Maybe a militant type should get an extra shield from mountains, a pacifist farmer type should get an extra food from plains, the expansionist may get extra shield from sea and extra movement for naval units. Also extra trade and extra science for some type of civs.
Of course, some specific units and advances.
And the game should start on an area specific to the type of civ yous choose, near mountains for ones that receive extra shields, on great plains for those with extra food or on islands for those with extra naval movements.
I'm quite conviced Firaxis will introduce such concepts, because we saw them already in SMAC.
Old September 16, 2000, 00:34   #7
UltraSonix
King

I agree with rremus that civs should be different, but of course, some people here feel that they should be the ones to mould the character of a vciv, not having it already pre-determined.

Anyway, this idea was discussed in The Creation of Differences between Civs,, and very strongly in More on Civs... More Specifity

------------------
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited September 16, 2000).]