Old January 9, 2002, 20:32   #1
MOHonor
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MOHonor starring in "What I Believe!"
I believe...that when I buy a computer game I'm buying much more than the software. I'm buying a bunch of new friends at the game company who won't ignore me like real people. They are to be nice to me no matter what I say. They need to tell me I'm valuable and do a good job even while I'm very unpleasant to them. They and me are friends forever........or at least until I buy my next game and go to THAT forum.

I believe...that computer games are the most important things in the world and am completely depressed when they don't match my fevered fantasies. When they don't it is my God given right to stalk and harass the people who made the game and anyone who disagrees with me even by one milimeter. I am right and it's a tremendous failure on everyone elses part for not recognizing it.

I believe...that people like yin26, jimmytrick and libertarian contribute more to this community than deluded people like korn and velycroyx who actually stay on topic and create things for other people to enjoy. It's more important that the game company is too scared to say anything because if they do they'll be grilled and interogated. This makes sure they know who their boss is even though I always pirate software and didn't give them any money or anything.

I believe...everything I read on the internet, scary european game magazines, and things I dream while crying myself to sleep at night because I am lonely. Any information I so gleen instantly becomes a deep heartfelt promise from Sid Meier directly to me. Like a blood oath or something.

I believe...that game forums are a hotline to the company whose game it covers. Stupid talk about how to win or making maps or what have you doesn't make me feel any better so those guys are wasting their time. Forums exist for me to yell at people I don't know and demand they stroke my ego and say what a valuable human being I am. Even weird greek forums.

My name is MOHonor...and this is "What I Believe!"
Old January 9, 2002, 21:05   #2
Expatriate
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:09
I believe you are wrong
Old January 9, 2002, 21:34   #3
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 14:09
i believe you're hilarious!
Old January 9, 2002, 21:48   #4
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 11:09
I believe people like you should be pummeled repeatedly.

Wake me up when they start making the List for Civ 4.
Old January 9, 2002, 21:55   #5
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 21:09
i believe a firaxian will mail the url of this thread to the entire team
Old January 9, 2002, 21:55   #6
jadlakha
Warlord

I dont believe in very many things, but I do believe your post was hilarious.
Old January 9, 2002, 21:57   #7
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:09
Can anyone write a tune to go with this? This could be a hit song!
Old January 9, 2002, 22:02   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Testify!

Not a song - just imagine Martin Luther King Jr. saying this in the same tone as his "I have a dream" speech.

Hallelujah!

/applause/
Old January 9, 2002, 22:04   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:09
Well, I took inventory and found that I played 25 games in 2001. And yet, the only forum I 'stalk' is this one. Why? Because Firaxis makes it so much fun. They are a walking disaster zone of just the right amount of hubris and excessive amounts of incompetence.

Of the 25 games I played, most were trash. Deleted and moved on. But they didn't pretend to be anything other than momentary time-killers, so they fulfilled their tiny role over a few weekends.

But when something like Civ3 is put out by people like the ones at Firaxis with more smoke than could be blown up all our collective butts ... what can I say? Watching the creators hide away from the 'pain' of these boards is hilarious to me. And it's free entertainment!

No less hilarious, of course, is the fanboy ... who finds smoke up his backside to be rather stimulating.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 9, 2002, 22:06   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:09
I believe civ3 is the greatest game ever created.
Old January 9, 2002, 22:06   #11
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
I believe people like you should be pummeled repeatedly.
i believe that some people don't appreciate good sarcasm
Old January 9, 2002, 22:10   #12
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Watching the creators hide away from the 'pain' of these boards is hilarious to me.
it's wonderfull what kind of information on can see at user profiles. Dan Magaha's average is 0.73 posts/day. this means that today's amount of 2 posts is 2.7 times more than the usual! could that mean his "hiding days" are over?

i believe it's a great gift if you can laugh with jokes targeted at you
Old January 9, 2002, 22:12   #13
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

I believe that Prozac should be more widely prescribed.

Dan
Old January 9, 2002, 22:17   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yep... Those folks from Firaxis keep hiding from the "pain" on these boards
Old January 9, 2002, 22:18   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

A greater gift is not twisting piddly forum stats to make an irrelevant remark: Both Dan and Jeff have called the General forum a 'zoo.' Jeff lauds the use of the ignore button. Dan often claims how 'useless' it is to talk with people 'who have already made up their minds.' Which means: Practically anybody who has rightful criticism of this piss-ant PR and disgusting beta release.

Hey, I don't blame them for finding the few places on this site that still simulate a happy atmosphere cause it sure ain't the General forum, that's for sure.

Like I said: I enjoy NOT seeing them on the General forum. For any number of reasons. And just the thought that any of my threads or posts at any given time have made those two guys want to avoid coming here makes me laugh. Honestly. Laugh.

Hey, but did I say that my posts have had that effect? No. But a number of fanboys lay that claim down all the time, so there you go.

Old January 9, 2002, 22:19   #16
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Dan:

Why? Trouble getting yours filled? You could always try working to get things off your mind ... then again, your mind was never really on your work to begin with, as is so evident in any number of ways these past few months.

Crawl back, Dan.

P.S. The Ask the Civ Team updates have been stellar. A+ work, Wiz.

Old January 9, 2002, 22:20   #17
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i stoped reading when you posted "often", instead of "one time"....
Old January 10, 2002, 00:08   #18
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

I can neither confirm nor deny that I enjoyed this thread.

Jeff
Old January 10, 2002, 00:54   #19
ajbera
Prince

I believe that Civ 3 is as close to virtual crack as I've seen in a looong time. This weekend I was so obsessed with pounding the f*cking Romans that I played five hours past a self-imposed deadline and had to turn in a report for work a day late.

I have no problem with the naysayers on this board being super-critical of the game and Firaxis - I promote freedom of expression. But I also honestly believe that if Civ 3 is a half-assed effort from Firaxis, I don't think I want to see a 'great' product, because I would never, ever leave my computer chair.

Kudos to all. You too, Yin, for demonstrating the principles of free speech. I hope y'all had a great holiday.
Old January 10, 2002, 04:19   #20
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ummm, Yin

How many of those games did you pay for?

Even if you did, do you think anyone at Firaxis should take you the least bit seriously? Or anyone else for that matter, after all your ill-founded ad homenem diatribes.

Do I remember correctly that you downloaded Civ3? If so, your opinions belong in Firaxian minds as much as the crud they scrape off their shoes.

Man, you define Troll. Look it up. Your pic is there. Sh*t, so that's what you look like.

Salve
Old January 10, 2002, 04:32   #21
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yeah yeah blah blah blah

I paid for ALL those games EXCEPT one: Civ3, which I first borrowed and then gave back. Smart move, eh, buddy?

Care to try to be even more judgmental and look even more silly?

Or does my having lots of money to spend on games bother you somehow? Low on cash? Get a high-paying job, like mine.

As for Firaxis. I've been pretty clear: They serve to amuse me. Period.

Old January 10, 2002, 04:51   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A troll is a troll is a troll is a troll
Old January 10, 2002, 11:07   #23
Prlwofsky
Settler

No...!
Sad to see a hilarious thread with more than a few accurate (if sarcastic ) observations beïng used by someone of the targeted group to repeat the same 'arguments' about CIV3 again (and again and again and again). BORING !!!

CIV3 can still be improved, but it is a solid and fun game. I know that in the eyes of some, liking CIV3 how it stands after the patch is something of a crime against humanity but thats their own problem...
Old January 10, 2002, 11:18   #24
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
I can neither confirm nor deny that I enjoyed this thread.

Jeff
You will tell us when you'll be sure about it, to not rise up expectation too much ?
Old January 10, 2002, 11:31   #25
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Yeah yeah blah blah blah

I paid for ALL those games EXCEPT one: Civ3, which I first borrowed and then gave back. Smart move, eh, buddy?

Care to try to be even more judgmental and look even more silly?

Or does my having lots of money to spend on games bother you somehow? Low on cash? Get a high-paying job, like mine.

As for Firaxis. I've been pretty clear: They serve to amuse me. Period.
Who looks silly? Whether you borrowed, downloaded or stole the game your credibility is still shot. I have yet to see one post or reply from you that displays otherwise on the subject of Civ3.

You have little knowledge and a big ego. Maybe you should come back to the US and run for office.
Old January 10, 2002, 12:02   #26
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
What exactly was the smart move? Not to pay for Civ3 or to pay for 24 other games of which 'most were trash'?
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 10, 2002, 12:36   #27
Libertarian
King

Sorry I missed this thread. I've been busy checking out the impressive efforts of Firaxis-Intelgrames' upstart competition. At any rate, I certainly can't resist a parody.

I am FUCompany.

-----

I believe... that when I sell a computer game, I'm selling much more than the software. I'm selling out my reputation with a large community of players whom I ignore, not because I don't like them, but because I just don't need them. You see, I've already deposited my money in the bank. So long as the game sites are saying things like "it are good game for u so please by it", I'm happy enough.

I believe... that websites are so important in today's Internet driven gaming society that I am going to update mine whenever I think that all the people who've seen it have each read it a hundred times. And I'm going to partner with a company that advises people to build ports and other units that aren't in the game.

I believe... that it's a badge of honor to be abandoned by avid fans like Lib, Yin, and Helio. What thrills me most, though, is when a whole segment of fans walk out on me en masse. Like the scenario community, for example. I know those guys well enough. When I get around to putting out a less laughable editor, they'll be back.

I believe... that the best policy to ensure my financial well-being is to promise things I don't deliver, bury my head in the sand, put critics on ignore, and remain silent like a mugger just arrested and advised of his rights.

I believe... that I can wait out the waves of displeasure since I've already sold a bazillion copies. There's no need for me to surface until people like Vel start opening threads and declare my game to be boring.

Oops! Gotta run now!

My name is FUCompany... and this is "What I Believe"
Old January 10, 2002, 13:03   #28
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
I believe... that it's a badge of honor to be abandoned by avid fans like Lib, Yin, and Helio.
I don't know if it would be a "badge of honor" but it would best described as getting rid of the dead weight! Now if we here could be abandoned by the same people. (Who claim they don't even play the game any more.)
Old January 10, 2002, 15:21   #29
Green Giant
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

And I'm going to partner with a company that advises people to build ports and other units that aren't in the game.
When did this happen?
Old January 10, 2002, 17:07   #30
Libertarian
King

The Civ3 website advises this:

Quote:
Infogrames Interactive provides all support for Civilization III. For easy access to the latest support information, please visit the Infogrames US support website for Civilization III.
There, you'll find:

Quote:
Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on.