Old January 10, 2002, 17:11   #31
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 12:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
my post above was sarcasm. Now firaxis has seen it, now they think they have created the greatest game ever. It will go to their heads. we are doomed.
Old January 10, 2002, 18:10   #32
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:09
As I said, those 24 other games didn't pretend to be anything but a decent time killer. Civ3 pretended to be more, and I consider it quite fortunate that I didn't put ANY money in the Firaxis pocket for their garbage beta.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 10, 2002, 18:19   #33
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 14:09
you're up early Yin

if this was the matrix instead of saying
remember its not the spoon that moves, it is your mind that moves
they would tell you
remember it isn't civ3 that is good, it is your mind that thinks it is
Old January 10, 2002, 18:22   #34
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:09
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
As I said, those 24 other games didn't pretend to be anything but a decent time killer. Civ3 pretended to be more, and I consider it quite fortunate that I didn't put ANY money in the Firaxis pocket for their garbage beta.
Oh, ok. Now that explains everything.
Old January 10, 2002, 18:22   #35
korn469
Emperor

die database error die!
Old January 10, 2002, 18:50   #36
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Sha_g: English language giving you problems today?

Korn: Yeah, the 3 year-old did her pre-dawn assault this morning.

Old January 10, 2002, 21:10   #37
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:09
Quote:
As I said, those 24 other games didn't pretend to be anything but a decent time killer.
You said 'momentary', but maybe that's just 'decent' with a typo.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 10, 2002, 21:29   #38
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

If I look in the bargain bin and see a $12 shooter, I think to myself: If it has even one good level in it, I'll consider myself lucky. Otherwise, move on. But when we start talking about setting new standards for the genre and allowing the player to live out his historical curiousity through a rich and robust game engine and complete editor that brings heretofore unseen ease and joy to the creation process ... and we get THIS!

Well, I think you can see my point. Don't hold a spitting contest against the wind.

Old January 11, 2002, 02:16   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

And you'd know everything about this game, wouldn't you Yin? I mean it lasted all of, what, 1 or 2 weeks on your hard drive? And in that time you looked into all the possible solutions to the problems you've found with it? Of course you did.

I understand the reaction of many people to civ3. I understand that they thought they were buying (or borrowing) into Sid's next prodigy child, but that's not how it turned out, is it? I cannot understand what motivates you Yin, at least if I attempt to ascribe any positive motives to most of your postings of late.

So what now?

Ever heard of CTP2? That thing was a boring breed of dog right out of the gate. In that case the developer abandoned the cripple very soon after release. What did the TBS fans do? Some wailed and gnashed their teeth I'm sure, but others set about the task of making CTP2 a viable, fun game. I've heard they succeeded.

What is the situation with civ3? It's not finished yet. The developer is demonstrating a continued commitment to the game. In other words, change will come. Why else would they ask for public testers for patches? I conclude those *patches* may be very radical. Or, they are gearing up for an expansion. In that case, then maybe you'll finally pay for the game Yin. Assuming it meets your standards.

But, what if they do nothing? What if they abandon the thing? Well friends, the end is not near. This game can be significantly changed from the standard release. Don't like corruption? It can be virtually eliminated with the editor as it stands. Don't find the Modern Era of much interest? Techs can be added, as well as units, buildings, wonders, etc with some extra help.

Are we happy with Civ3? Hell no! It can be much better. That's why I'm very pleased that the developer is still working on it. When they're done? It can still be changed, even with the unfinished/unpatched/hoped-to-be-improved editor.

So what Yin? What's your point? You are not contributing 1 jot to improving civ by your recent posts. Does civ belong to Microprose? Activision? Firaxis? Or us? If it's us (the playing public), then could you begin to reconsider your position? If civ belongs to us, then you are doing nothing to help us, but are doing everything you can to hinder us.

Us would be served by Firaxis sticking with the job. Us would be served by insightful, experienced people contributing to the task of modding this beast. You are contributing to neither of these possible ends Yin. Or maybe, you have just devolved into an uncommon troll and do not intend to contribute anything.

Salve
Old January 11, 2002, 02:20   #40
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Or, they are gearing up for an expansion. In that case, then maybe you'll finally pay for the game Yin. Assuming it meets your standards.
Yes.

As for my contributions, you know little, judging from many of your previous post demonstrating total ignorance of what the people where doing here from 2 years ago.

And since I am not playing the game now on principle, I am purposely avoiding discussing the aspects of it that I didn't see clearly during my short time with the game. That leaves me to enjoy people like you who get tight panties when I post.

Post again!

Old January 11, 2002, 02:23   #41
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I believe the design team at Firaxis are doing their best but they are being thwarted by the evil penny pinchers at Infogames

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 11, 2002, 02:27   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A troll is a troll is a troll is a troll.

That's all you'll get out of me from here on out Yin.

At this point, you obviously intend absolutely no good will towards the game or the forum. I couldn't give a rats *ss about what you did 2 years ago.

None Salve
Old January 11, 2002, 02:29   #43
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I hope those panties can breathe, Bunch Boy! LOL!

Old January 11, 2002, 02:30   #44
notyoueither
Deity

Old January 11, 2002, 02:33   #45
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
No actually

Quality shines through

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 11, 2002, 02:33   #46
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ack, this fish WANTS to keep hooked!

Old January 11, 2002, 02:49   #47
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

hey now
Funny thing...when SMAC came out I really loved it and when Yin would post something critical about it, well, it irritated me.

Now, I am on the same side of fence with him about Civ3. And now his posts delight me more often than not.

Does that reveal something about human nature? My character? Yin's taste in games?

Anyway, I just thought I would let you folks know that things change and you should be careful what you say. When Civ4 comes out you might be a troll yourself.

And sometime, somewhere, somebody might put out a game that Yin likes.

Well, okay, that last bit was a stretch.
Old January 11, 2002, 03:37   #48
notyoueither
Deity

Re: hey now
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Anyway, I just thought I would let you folks know that things change and you should be careful what you say. When Civ4 comes out you might be a troll yourself.
If I ever become a completely destructive troll, such as some other people have become, please shoot me.

Negative has its place. Negative to the extent some trolls take it does not.

Salve
Old January 11, 2002, 03:47   #49
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 21:09
Quote:
If I look in the bargain bin and see a $12 shooter, I think to myself: If it has even one good level in it, I'll consider myself lucky. Otherwise, move on. But when we start talking about setting new standards for the genre and allowing the player to live out his historical curiousity through a rich and robust game engine and complete editor that brings heretofore unseen ease and joy to the creation process ... and we get THIS!

Well, I think you can see my point. Don't hold a spitting contest against the wind.
yin, i'm sure that the back of the box od that $12 shooter would say that the game did some prety great stuff too....
it's called marketing yin

notyoueither, yin has served his time as a contributing civ fan. now he is retired. yin, tell us another story about the good old times!
Old January 11, 2002, 03:49   #50
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Good old times. Let's see ... there were the Markos Pre-Troll days. Those were fun.

Gee. Marketing. How could I forget? Wow. Thanks, pal.

Old January 11, 2002, 03:54   #51
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Gee. Marketing. How could I forget? Wow. Thanks, pal.
so you'are saying that you generally dont believe marketing, but you expected exactly what the (infogrames/firaxis/whatever) marketing team was saying for civ3?
Old January 11, 2002, 03:59   #52
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 19:09
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i stoped reading when you posted "often", instead of "one time"....
No, you didn't.
Old January 11, 2002, 04:12   #53
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
so you'are saying that you generally dont believe marketing, but you expected exactly what the (infogrames/firaxis/whatever) marketing team was saying for civ3?
To some extent, yes. It's not as if Sid is some rookie designer. But my $12 shooter is made by Booger Entertainment. You see no difference?

Beyond that, Booger Entertainment didn't claim that they'd send the genre spinning with gameplay from the Gods. They were modest and better for it.

Firaxis pretended to have immense talent and proved immensely incapable. Still see no difference? Gods can be praised or cursed depending on their actions. The Firaxis Gods deserve the cursing.

Old January 11, 2002, 04:16   #54
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

DaShi: LOL! I'm the poster people love to hate reading!

Old January 11, 2002, 04:22   #55
notyoueither
Deity

What? I seem to be getting some interference here. The signal is breaking up... Damn these bugs!

Did someone say something about the poster people hate seeing?
Old January 11, 2002, 04:26   #56
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

...takes fish off hook, finally: 'Be free guppie.'...

Old January 11, 2002, 04:28   #57
notyoueither
Deity

A troll is a troll is a troll is a troll
Old January 11, 2002, 04:31   #58
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

here's a blurb for $9.95 shooter
Quote:
Combines realistic first-person shooter action with full real-time strategic control in the midst of full-blown 3D warfare being fought in the "Cold War" of outer space. Command & create over 30 units such as anti-grav tanks, walkers, guntowers, barracks, & recyclers while fighting from inside your own vehicle in single or multi-player skirmishes. Combines first-person shooter action with real-time strategy! Battlezone places you in the midst of the Cold War ... as it's being fought in outer space. Play either the Soviet or American sides, command and create over 30 units such as anti-grav tanks, walkers, guntowers, barracks, and recyclers -- all while fighting from inside your own vehicle in single- or multi-player skirmishes. Features full blown 3D warfare, full strategic control, and realistic first person combat action.

The original Battlezone of the 1980's was the first 3-D computer game ever. Remember the view finder? Now Activision presents the next revolutionary Battlezone - the first truly immersive first-person, action-strategy game where you command your troops from the battlefield.
Full-Blown 3-D Warfare: Pilot one of 20 anti-gravity war machines equipped with weapons of destruction: mortars, mines and the devastating Thumper Device, which launches a Richter-heavy groundquake over the morphable terrain.
Full Strategic Control: You are the supreme commander of more than 30 unique units, including tanks, infantry and mobile assault turrets. Build bases, deploy forces, manage resources and build your empire, all from the pilot's seat of your tank.
Realistic First-Person Combat Action: Ship shot down? Bail out, parachute to safety, then use your sniper rifle to take out an enemy pilot and steal the ship for sweet revenge. Switch vehicles right on the battlefield of one of seven distinct moons or planets.
Revolutionary Technology: The game features full D3D support and a quick software rendering engine which incorporates actual images from NASA space expeditions.

yin, since when someone who can actually think a bit buys based on a name on the title and the marketing blurb on the back of the box?
Old January 11, 2002, 04:33   #59
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

nye: So let's get this straight: Do you possibly imagine that statement doesn't apply to you? Here are the options:

a) You honestly don't see the irony and are honestly a stupid fellow; or

b) You see the irony but can think of no better way to troll, which makes you unoriginal at best ... a sad spectacle more like.

I suggest: If a) Hmm, get an education? Read some books? It's tough, you know. Your brand of stupidity could be bred in you from generations back. If it's b) Learn to troll better. I give this advice because if you plan to troll, at least make it mildly interesting for the rest of us.

Or don't. I'm rather taken by your school-girl crush on me. "I hate you, Yin! I'm never talking to you again, Yin!"

Then at recess:

"You heard me, right? I said I'm NEVER talking to you again, Yin! What do you have to say about THAT!"

Tosses her a cookie.

...crumbs on face... "Fool! I just ate your cookie AND I'm not talking to you anymore! Ha! What an idiot! Hee hee hee hee."

Old January 11, 2002, 04:36   #60
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

You're right, Markos: Firaxis is on the level of Booger Entertainment. I have corrected myself, trust me.