View Poll Results: CIV III would've been a much better game if Firaxis...
had been left alone to follow their own gut instincts 3 5.45%
had listened to us less 8 14.55%
had listened to us more 10 18.18%
had listened to us completely 5 9.09%
had let us write it ourselves 3 5.45%
had put bananas in it somewhere 26 47.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10, 2002, 21:22   #31
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 14:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, I don't hope to get flamed and I don't hope to be a Firaxis apologist, but I put a bit of the fault on other shoulders for this reason:

Civ3 is death to ICS. Which, as it turns out, seems to have been the focus on these forums for quite some time before the game was released. There were countless topics about how ICS could be combatted and such. I find it no surprise that with all the hubbub about shooting ICS in the foot, Civ3 ends up crippling large empires in a ridiculous way. D'oh! I maintain that ICS was never an important problem, and the constant petitioning for the correction of ICS probably did more harm than good.

Besides this, the fault (if you place fault, or even care) invariably must go to those who created the product. Nobody held a gun to Firaxis' collective head. People who say the turnout of the game was all our fault are seriously overestimating the influence we actually exert.
Old January 10, 2002, 23:20   #32
Sze
Chieftain

The problems with Civ3 are not with the things that were added, but a poor implementation of those ideas and just about every other aspect of the game. Culture and strategic resources, for example, I think are great ideas, but they play poorly. Whether that's due to insufficient testing or half-assed design it doesn't matter, the root idea was golden. It's not our fault (and by our I mean your, because I'm fairly new here) that the AI is so dumb and the tech tree is silly and the interface is lacking and there's no MP and ... If there were any fewer design changes, there would have been no need for a whole new game. Concept good; final product bad.
Old January 10, 2002, 23:30   #33
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

There are probably some things that can be well created by committee. Games, I would suggest, are not one of those things. Games are supposed to be fun and anyone who things that anything remotely connected with committees can be fun have surely never served on a committee.

If a game developer is silly enough to look for game ideas on a forum then they should support extended unemployment insurance.
Old January 11, 2002, 00:30   #34
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:10
Quote:
...and anyone who things that anything remotely connected with committees can be fun have surely never served on a committee.
AH! Sooo hilarious. Sooo true!

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.