Old September 19, 2000, 18:30   #1
QuEsTiOnEr
Settler

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
game progression suggestion
I am a huge enjoyer of Civ line of games and I also like the general progression of the games. However I was thinking about this and came up with what I thought was a fairly good idea, it goes a little something like this:

At the start the games opens up to you building a single city (your capital). When I say building a single city I mean an actual city view where you can build the basic city improvements. Along with building up your city you would also have to fend off any barbaric threats.

After this portion of the game is complete. Then you move onto a world make and begin building your empire in the standard CIV way.

After you have conquered the planet, launched a space station, or had some sort of global unification you would move into a solar system type map. In this phase of the game you would have to conquer the solar system by either taking it all over or uniting it.

After this stage comes the final stage. A galaxy/universe map that you would have to wage war against other alien races and ultimately finish the game. To complete the game you would have to conquer the galaxy, use diplomacy to unite the universe or by some type of ultimate scientific achievement.

I realize this would make the game much more involved, but in the end it would be a more satisfying and fulfilling game.
Old September 19, 2000, 18:46   #2
sleeperservice
Prince

Local Time: 02:27
A solar system has 9 planets ?
A galaxy 100 billion.

Now what about a counterproposal

You has almost conquered all.

Then alien invade

You know you dont have a chance against them but

your final 2 tech was time travel and their location of
their planet.

So now you get back in time with a few tech beat everybody again fast unite the world and create a stellar force to invade their planet before they do it to us

I think this is cool

Old September 19, 2000, 19:38   #3
wernazuma

sorry, maybe that would be a nice game but it's not Civ!!!!

Old September 19, 2000, 20:45   #4
QuEsTiOnEr
Settler

I am writing a follow up to my original posting to respond to the previous two responses. sleeperservice, your proposal is an interesting one, but I don't believe you understood what I meant by the solar system and universe part.

In the solar system you would not actually land on each of the nine planets. For instance, say if it was the humans and two other races. So you would be on earth and say they were on mars and Neptune. Now each group would be able to take control of a more planets by sending colonists to them. As for planets occupied by the enemy, you would attack the planet as a whole from space. After entering the solar system phase you would no longer be able to view the surface of planets.

Then for the universe part it would work similarly. Instead of taking over planets perhaps it would be solar systems or even galaxies. Also, the universe doesn’t have to be exact, after all you have random terrain on earth, so the universe does not have to be exactly represented.

As for wernazuma response, yes this is getting off the track of the original CIV, but games have to develop into more to keep/get the interest of gamers. After a while people get tired of the same old thing, so change is necessary for survival.

I could have included more detail in the original response, but I felt that by getting the basic concept across is all that is necessary. If you would like I could write this proposal up in a word document and post it somewhere for further interested people.
Old September 19, 2000, 21:30   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:27
Easy solution - use Questioner's [rather cool] idea for SMAC-2, not Civ3...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 21, 2000, 18:31   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Yes, if there is a SMAC2 his idea would be better for it. You would
meet the Usurpers and Caretakers as well as 5 other new alien factions,
or indigenous life forms on each planet; each with their own particular
'way' of fighting.
Old September 21, 2000, 20:34   #7
Hannibal3

I say, if you want to go that far into the game, go out and get TOT and make yourself a scenario. Then you can go from Earth to space to wherever else you wanna go. I just don't think conquest of space is for civ. Especially since the game would just go on and on for a VERY long time...

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Old September 22, 2000, 05:02   #8
Nick-oh
Settler

I agree that space conquest is not for Civ. Sure, be innovative when producing a sequel, but you're talking about the construction of an entirely new game. (A sensational game, but a new one)

------------------
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire