Local Date: October 31, 2010
Leader generated on defense!
I had a leader generated by defending in a game. FYI
Old January 10, 2002, 15:03   #2
The Hun
Settler

Local Time: 13:11
That would seem to make sense as I have had units gain experience from defensive battles.

-Craig
Old January 10, 2002, 16:08   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
I've gotten several leaders from defensive victories... many more from attacking, but that's because I do much more attacking than defending.

The best leader-generating wars I have fought have involved either:

large numbers of knights, or
large numbers of Tanks/Modern Armor.

Multiple victories in one turn give almost guaranteed promotions. This is why Tanks and Modern Armor are great... they get to elite quickly, and have good chances of popping out a leader. Knights, on the other hand, do well on both offense and defense, so they often survive AI counterattacks, which leads to promotions... etc. Also, Knights are very good units, but they don't have quite the rush ability that Cavalry do. Consequently, it takes a bit longer to conquer people. From the standpoint of leader generation, that's good. Cav just runs people over.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 11, 2002, 01:33   #4
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:11
I like leaders, but there is one stupid thing that happened the other day:

A barbarian Warrior attacked my cannon, and sure enough, I get a great leader Tojo! Cannons shouldn't be able to generate leaders on defence, they can't defend themselves.
Old January 11, 2002, 01:59   #5
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Very odd indeed, Grrr. For one thing, a cannon should lose any fight automatically, it doesn't have any hitpoints. For another, as I understand it, leaders aren't generated from fighting barbarians.

Are you pulling our leg?
Old January 11, 2002, 02:33   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Grrr.

There is no combat against a Cannon. The enemy moves, the cannon is theirs.

Are you mistaken?

Salve
Old January 11, 2002, 16:13   #7
Grrr
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Grrr.

There is no combat against a Cannon. The enemy moves, the cannon is theirs.

Are you mistaken?

Salve
I don't think so. However I don't have a savegame to check either.
Old January 11, 2002, 16:40   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
No bombard unit (catapult, cannon, artillery or radar artillery) can defend itself. If a barb hit a cannon, the cannon would be destroyed (bombard units can only be captured by an opponent who has the tech to use them... math/metallury/replaceable parts/robotics). Second, battles vs. barbarians cannot result in Great Leaders - it has to war vs. another civ. You must have had a unit protecting your cannon, and that unit must have been elite, and the unit that hit it must have been foreign, not barbarian...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 11, 2002, 16:44   #9
Grrr
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
No bombard unit (catapult, cannon, artillery or radar artillery) can defend itself. If a barb hit a cannon, the cannon would be destroyed (bombard units can only be captured by an opponent who has the tech to use them... math/metallury/replaceable parts/robotics). Second, battles vs. barbarians cannot result in Great Leaders - it has to war vs. another civ. You must have had a unit protecting your cannon, and that unit must have been elite, and the unit that hit it must have been foreign, not barbarian...

-Arrian
Come to think of it, this is probably a result of playing around in the Civ3mod.bic file, along with the text docs.
Old January 11, 2002, 18:26   #10
Stryfe
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr

Come to think of it, this is probably a result of playing around in the Civ3mod.bic file, along with the text docs.
That's not too surprising. I've had some really weird stuff occur thanks to messing with Civ3mod.bic also. The game can start to go crazy if you mess with too much (I produced a game which crashed whenever I viewed the histograph and then moved the map).
Old January 11, 2002, 18:33   #11
Grrr
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryfe
That's not too surprising. I've had some really weird stuff occur thanks to messing with Civ3mod.bic also. The game can start to go crazy if you mess with too much (I produced a game which crashed whenever I viewed the histograph and then moved the map).
That is SHOCKING! that should really go under a bugs thread!
Old January 12, 2002, 19:03   #12
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Stryfe

Yeah, and don't ever mess with the worker jobs in the Terrain screen, you're just asking for trouble from the AI.
Old January 12, 2002, 19:07   #13
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
Aaah, so that's why I never seem to get a leader. I've been avoiding war with other Civs, so my battles have mainly been with Barbarians.