Old September 14, 2000, 13:35   #1
Evil Capitalist
King

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
'Dud' Wonders
I don't know about you, but when I play civ II I make a be line to certain wonders- Michaelangelo's Chapel, Adam Smith's co., etc. This obviously unbalances the game.

My solution is to have more wonders, say 35-50, and some of these are duds- the maginot lines of the world. I know this could be a serious iritation, but it could add a nice element of chance.
Old September 14, 2000, 13:57   #2
The Call of Snapcase

That is way nasty. How about just letting the player place only one wonder in x number of turns instead?

Old September 14, 2000, 15:04   #3
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'd prefer to allow options: No wonders, mini-wonders (&/or world's greatest), and 'build-your-own' wonders.

Of course the ones presented to players originally should be balanced vs. each other. When a player has a choice between SoL and Sheakspeare's there's usually no contest.
Old September 14, 2000, 19:04   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:27
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 09-14-2000 03:04 PMWhen a player has a choice between SoL and Sheakspeare's there's usually no contest.

Hmmm, that depends, doesn't it? In OCC, Shake's is the way to go, but for controlled warfare you want SoL to go into Communism asap.

But options is always good

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old September 16, 2000, 00:16   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:27
quote:

I don't know about you, but when I play civ II I make a be line to certain wonders- Michaelangelo's Chapel, Adam Smith's co., etc. This obviously unbalances the game.
My solution is to have more wonders, say 35-50, and some of these are duds- the maginot lines of the world. I know this could be a serious iritation, but it could add a nice element of chance.

Of course, the other solution is to trim down wonders so that the ones left are the good ones - it'll make wonders more "wonderful".

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards...
Old September 16, 2000, 17:27   #6
Hannibal3

Maybe it would be better to limit the number of functioning wonders to only the best of the best, but to make lots more that only serve to increase the score or something. Owning these would just boost your civ. They have no specific function.

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Old September 16, 2000, 17:57   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Heck. I don't care if some wonders are duds. Excepting the Colossus which is trash and should be deleted.

I believe there should be another age of wonders for the game between the ancient and renaissance. Or they should have 8 wonders for each age (which won't happen)
Old September 16, 2000, 23:33   #8
UltraSonix
King

quote:

Maybe it would be better to limit the number of functioning wonders to only the best of the best, but to make lots more that only serve to increase the score or something. Owning these would just boost your civ. They have no specific function.

Maybe there should be two types of wonders:
*specific ones that actually do something (eg Hoover Dam, Apollo Program)
*ego-boosting ones that randomly increase either happiness, trade, science, etc. (eg Cure for Cancer, and the aforementioned Colossus)

------------------
Old September 17, 2000, 00:17   #9
OrangeSfwr

one more vote for limiting the # of wonders rather than expanding them.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - well who am I?~~~
- "When man first discovered that milk comes from a cow, what did he THINK he was doing?"
- "Women's breasts are like toys: They're meant for kids, but usually it's the fathers who wind up playin' with them."
- "Practice makes perfect, but if nobody's perfect...why practice?"
~~~Oh well oh well so here we stand, but we stand for nothing~~~
- Apolyton Picture Contest IV

Old September 19, 2000, 23:10   #10
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:27
I think this can be balanced by the cost of the wonder. Right now the cost of any wonder is determined by the Era (or Age) and not what actually it does. If the cost is changed to reflect the capabilities of a wonder then it would make sense.
Old September 20, 2000, 02:18   #11
UltraSonix
King

But if the cost was related to the worthiness of the wonder, then the good wonders'll be too hard to build - it was done by era so that the cities of that era'll be able to build the wonder.

------------------
Old September 20, 2000, 08:26   #12
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 17:27
some of the wonders are duds for some of us and gold for others. Darkcloud hates the collossus, and when I read his post I thought he was a heretic. I almost always build the collossus.
Like Ribannah says, it depends on your playing style, too.

But are there wonders which are duds for everyone? I have my personal duds, but if some people find them invaluable, then lets keep them.
in civ1, I never built shakespeare because it expired too fast to be useful. now it's of vast use.

After looking over the list, I have 2 that I NEVER build. Sun Tzu's and Marco Polo's. I can get the benefits (well, most of) of Sun Tzu's by building barracks, but I can't do without the barracks because of the repair function. And I never saw much advantage in Marco.
Old September 20, 2000, 09:06   #13
Father Beast
King

Hmmmnnn... Come to think of it, I shy away from wonders that just give me a ____ in every city. unless the maintenance cost is high, and my buddy Adam usually helps with that.
absolutely DESPISE wonders that don't give my civ an advantage, like apollo and Manhattan. OK, Apollo does reveal the map for me,BFHD. Does anyone actually race for these wonders? If I hear another civ has started on one of those, I'll quit and let them do it. Save my production when I'm going to get the benefits of the wonder for free.
Old September 20, 2000, 11:28   #14
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:27
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by Father Beast on 09-20-2000 08:26 AMAfter looking over the list, I have 2 that I NEVER build. Sun Tzu's and Marco Polo's. I can get the benefits (well, most of) of Sun Tzu's by building barracks, but I can't do without the barracks because of the repair function. And I never saw much advantage in Marco.

Marco Polo can be essential on a large map, if all the other civs are too far away. Also notice that it costs only slightly more than 6 diplomats.

Sun Tzu can be of great use if your high-production cities are not at the frontline, which is usually the case. Also note that Barracks have upkeep costs.

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old September 20, 2000, 21:28   #15
Father Beast
King

Allright, Ribannah (and probably others) do use Marco and Sun Tzu from time to time, so all the wonders do get used.
But evil capitalist has a point. Some are more used than others. some are indispensible, and some are useful iff you have some extra production you're not using.
Old September 22, 2000, 04:41   #16
Nick-oh
Settler

Many's the grand scheme of history which has failed miserably. The Legue of Nations, for all it's great intentions, failed to avoid two world wars.

There should be some small chance (remote but there none the less) that your marvellous wonder turns out to be useless. After spending all those resources, you get zip for it; neither does anyone else. Adds a nice touch of natsiness.

------------------
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Old September 22, 2000, 07:18   #17
UltraSonix
King

quote:

There should be some small chance (remote but there none the less) that your marvellous wonder turns out to be useless. After spending all those resources, you get zip for it; neither does anyone else. Adds a nice touch of natsiness.

Just as well there's the save/load feature...

------------------
Old September 22, 2000, 17:57   #18
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:27
quote:

Just as well there's the save/load feature...

You mean you really use that.....

Hmm... that reminds me, the League of Nations should be a wonder too. How about this: All wonders have an effect, but there is a random percent chance that it may not work. Simple and concise.

Good idea?
Old September 22, 2000, 23:40   #19
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
quote:

Originally posted by Shadowstrike on 09-22-2000 05:57 PM
How about this: All wonders have an effect, but there is a random percent chance that it may not work. Simple and concise.

Good idea?

The wonder may not work, or parts of it may not work?

I'd be more inclined to allow a Mike's Pigeon Hut to have a random chance to not affect random cities, as opposed to being a total dud.

BTW, I too find Sun Tzu's & Marco Polo's to be immensely useful. MP espec. if the Great Lib not built yet. But that's for another forum.
Old September 22, 2000, 23:45   #20
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 18:27
I also vote for reducing the number of wonders....