Old January 10, 2002, 18:06   #1
jadien
Settler

Local Time: 14:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ II Production AI Problems
Hey there. I posted to Civ II : Creation, but wasn't able to recieve a solution.

In a scenario I've almost completed, there is a problem with the computer's city production: They almost always refuse to build military units, and instead only build the settler equivalent or improvements. To answer your first questions...

-Yes, the computer is capable of building the units. When played as a human, there is no problem with building them.

-No, there are no issues involving unit slot placement. The Musketeer and Knight slots are unused, and the three units that one can build at the start are in the Settler, Warrior, and Archer slots.

-No, the computer is not failing to build the units because there is a better unit available. None of the three units available is in the same role (One is Settle, one is Attack, and one is Defend).

-Yes, the computers have all been set to be militaristic Not that it would make a difference; We're talking about building maybe three military units over a fifty-turn period.

-No, the units are not too expensive. The most expensive among them (The Settler equivalent) only costs 30 shields. The terrain is almost identical to the regular set.

-I am using Fantastic Worlds.

-Yes, I have read the Scenario Creation Tips on the Apolyton site, and I have also read another manifesto on scenario creation that I was reccomended to. Neither was of help.

Please, this problem is ruining the scenario which was over a month in the making. Can anyone identify the problem? Thanks in advance.
Old January 10, 2002, 18:56   #2
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

I think that if you give settlers a defense value of zero, and/or give them 1HP, then the AI will build trillions of them. Don't know why, but a good solution is to make settlers 0/(X>0)/X 2/0.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old January 10, 2002, 20:40   #3
jadien
Settler

You were entirely correct! Giving my Settler units stats identical to the ones in regular Civ solved the problem entirely. Thanks for saving my scenario, and loads of time on my part.