Old January 10, 2002, 21:32   #1
Yxklyx
Warlord

Local Time: 19:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI Aircraft Bug?
The Drones have built bombers with a range of 14 and fighters with a range of 11. How was that done? I know they don't have the tech for fuel nano fuel cells. Does the Cloudbase Academy (which they have) give +2 movement as well? Also, they moved a dozen or so of these long range bombers next to my city without attacking. I surrounded them completely with fighters and bombers so they couldn't return to base - I emptied the base so they wouldn't attack it. Next turn they're still alive - my planes have to return to base and they all return home. What's up with that? Bug?
Old January 10, 2002, 22:21   #2
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:12
Yup, the CA gives +2 movement to aircraft.

As to the AIs planes being able to hang in mid air:

Yes, I have heard of this happening before(I think I may have seen it too). I have also seen them crash, because I had a unit in the way. I think it may have to do with, do they *try* to get home. If there is no place to move, and they *know* they cannot get home, they may just hang. On the other hand, if they think they can get home, and something unexpected comes up, then they crash. (And a stack of 20, will crash one after the other, exactly following the same track).

I hope someone else has something more definite to add.
Old January 11, 2002, 00:15   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 14:12
I've heard that planes that are on "auto" may do things like that sometimes (and if anything uses "auto" a lot, I suppose that it would be the AI) and I've seen my own planes on "patrol" do that too - it looks like they just use up all your movement and then stop where it runs out (I wasn't trying to do it, it just happened - for what it is worth, they passed through a base frequently enough, just didn't stop there). I would hope that these are bugs (but if they were bugs I would have hoped that they would have been fixed too).