Old January 11, 2002, 02:01   #1
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 15:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Score!
Ah, I can once again begin work on Kyokujitsu. I have scored the greatest tresure of all.

I have found a backup .zip file containing all my original work which was lost during my HD crash. I found it while looking through an older hard drive @ home over the Christmas break.

Hallelujah!

I'll try to spend some time each day on Kyokujitsu starting the 14th when I get back. I hope to finish it within 30 days and bring some conclusion to my civ2 legacy before I start getting grey hairs.

All I have to do is write 24 more events files...

I've been having some ideas about how I'm going to run the parts between 1941-1945. Right now I have an objective based system in China.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how you people would like the war run between 1941-1945? To the letter realism/historical accuracy? Red Front style that just challenges the player but allows some interesting things to happen? (For example a takeover of australia).
Old January 11, 2002, 14:07   #2
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 13:12
Quote:
To the letter realism/historical accuracy? Red Front style that just challenges the player but allows some interesting things to happen? (For example a takeover of australia).
I would like to see some realism, but have independent playability. I don't want it to be that if you don't do everything exactly the way the Allies did, you lose the war. There should be some flexibility.
Old January 11, 2002, 14:12   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 20:12
Nice to see you at work again, Darthie!!!

A present for you...

www.italeri.com
Old January 11, 2002, 20:17   #4
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
To a certain extent the war in the Pacific followed an inevitable path - Japan never had a hope of winning once the US revved up its industrial muscle.
I've read that even if Japan had totally destroyed the US Pacific fleet in 1942 and not lost any ships in the process, and then gone on to complete its planned ship construction, the US Navy would still have been strong enough to thrash the Japanese in 1944!

A good idea would be to let players try to follow a course of action which would keep America out of the War (eg by only attacking the British and the Dutch posessions).

If America does enter the war it would be interesting to include strategies such as bombing the Panama Cannal in order to slow down the American build up.
Old January 12, 2002, 02:10   #5
Jimmywax
Prince

Local Time: 13:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Prometeus
A present for you...
Just for DV or is it for everyone? I am quite grateful for it too.
Old January 12, 2002, 03:22   #6
DarthVeda
Emperor

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to implement a point system (ie score x points by objectives/blowing up ships to continue), and I'm going to have to see if I can use future tech or something to allow me to work with that or if I'm going to have to use Angelo's CSPL.

Or I might just go with a standard civ2 objective system (ie each city is worth x points).
Old January 12, 2002, 13:50   #7
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 20:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax

Just for DV or is it for everyone? I am quite grateful for it too.
I'm glad I could be useful to Apolyton community...

To DV

nice sig... anyway, it believe the second word fits better... after all Civ2 is not garbage...
PS have you noticed Giappo airplanes in Italeri site? Nice mimetics colours...
Old January 13, 2002, 13:15   #8
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I've read that even if Japan had totally destroyed the US Pacific fleet in 1942 and not lost any ships in the process, and then gone on to complete its planned ship construction, the US Navy would still have been strong enough to thrash the Japanese in 1944!

What about morale issues?
Old January 14, 2002, 01:19   #9
ravagon
King

Local Time: 03:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
To a certain extent the war in the Pacific followed an inevitable path - Japan never had a hope of winning once the US revved up its industrial muscle.
I think the bigger issue dealt with what the IJN would have been doing with its Fleet in the meantime assuming no effective US opposition. ie: It'd be a lot harder for the USN to stage a counter-attacking pacific campaign from San Diego if the IJN had gone on to occupy the Hawaiian islands.

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
If America does enter the war it would be interesting to include strategies such as bombing the Panama Cannal in order to slow down the American build up.
Now this sounds very much like something that came out of Pacific General!
Definately not a bd idea though, scenario-wise...
Old January 14, 2002, 02:51   #10
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

The Japanese actually built some big aircraft carrying submarines to mount an attack on the Panama Cannal, but they never got around to actually making the attack (the subs kept being diverted to supply isolated garrisons)
Old January 17, 2002, 13:53   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

27 Months and counting
Have I been working on this that long?

Anyway I just wrote the header for the 29th event file. If my scratchings are correct, Kyokujtisu will have exactly 100 turns.

As for the scoring system, I think I might take a Spreadsheet approach ala Cruel Sea.

Or I might just go traditional objective-city scoring or just go with what I have right now.

--or I might just make a little C++ or VB program of my own-
Old January 18, 2002, 03:32   #12
ravagon
King

Local Time: 03:12
Re: 27 Months and counting
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda

Anyway I just wrote the header for the 29th event file. If my scratchings are correct, Kyokujtisu will have exactly 100 turns.

You go through a whole events.txt on average every 4 turns!!
Bloody hell. This think must be packed ...
Old January 18, 2002, 19:52   #13
DarthVeda
Emperor

hey...
Does anybody know how to make a type 3 unit use fuel (like an airplane)?

Or is there a way to make it like a helicopter as type 3 but not be able to take cities?

can it be done?
Old January 18, 2002, 20:32   #14
Case
Emperor

Re: hey...
Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Or is there a way to make it like a helicopter as type 3 but not be able to take cities?
Have you tried giving it the submarine flag?
Old January 18, 2002, 22:39   #15
DarthVeda
Emperor

The unit I'm working with is the G3M3, and I want it to be able to attack land and sea units, not take cities, and not be able to land on carriers.

I can accomplish this with the Type 3 unit, the only problem is that it never runs out of fuel (it gets a full tank at the beginning of the next turn). There are some toss-ups with this but the disadvantage is that unscrupulous players could use bombers from japan to bomb the Hawaii or the west coast...

Giving the unit a sub ability unfortunately costs me the ability to attack land units.