Local Date: October 31, 2010
Could I ask for a few things?
Old November 27, 2002, 21:30   #932
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 11:16
EL: No one's stopping you, we agreed to allow you input on this, it's just that we have veto power at this point, but so long as it's reasonable, I wouldn't arbitrarily say no to something.
Old November 27, 2002, 22:28   #933
winterfritz
Prince

Local Time: 19:16
The whole point of the Rhine frontier is that it works because river squares give an added defense bonus. So Anzac, I'm not going to move my forts off the river tiles.

As said before, France is standing firm by the proposed frontier at this point. We will of course be more than happy to consider amendments, should there be evidence after the restoration that the defense network hinders the operation of Germany as an independent nation. Should any alterations to the frontier then be necessary, they will be discussed by Germany and France, and at that later date. Theres no point discussing it further now, when there is no evidence that it is a bad thing at all.

El: like Kirk said, you should feel free to ask for anything you like... we can only attack and argue over proposals that are actually out in the open But if your requests are reasonable, France doesn't see why they shouldn't be fulfilled, thus promoting goodwill between Germany and the Allies.

Last edited by winterfritz; November 27, 2002 at 22:36.
Old November 27, 2002, 23:00   #934
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

So what's going on with setting everything up at this point, is fritz supposed to play his turn, or are we waiting for something?
Old November 27, 2002, 23:07   #935
winterfritz
Prince

Case needs to play his turn first. Then I'll play mine, and then I'll set up Germany and post the save, allowing El to play his first turn.
Old November 27, 2002, 23:23   #936
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 16:16
Well, perhaps Germany can be given full fortifications and such to prevent another quick cluster****, as well as a formidable number of defensive units.

Regarding the Rhine, I'd like no more than one fortress every three squares and exclusive economic use of all the squares on the Rhine. Those with French fortresses can be compensated by using squares falling officially under French jurisdiction to be made usable to Germany.
Old November 27, 2002, 23:52   #937
winterfritz
Prince

El: you don't need to worry about Germany's safety. I know I'm not going to the trouble of bringing Germany back just to see it get gobbled up all over again.

About the Rhine: if its the frontier, then we should get half of the river squares each, as well as exclusive rights to the squares on our respective sides of the river. Your scheme would see Germany owning close to the entire river in addition to squares on the French side, and is both unfair and unacceptable to France.

Also, AFAIK the forts are distributed about 2-3 squares away from each other along the river, so the spacing should be roughly within your request.
Old November 28, 2002, 00:24   #938
Dr. Nick
Deity

Well, France is still keeping areas with lots of German nationals, it's only fair that Germany gets to exploit the river.
Old November 28, 2002, 10:20   #939
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:16
How about the Russian proposal of having forts on either side of the Rhine, but have the Rhine as a demilitarized zone?
Old November 28, 2002, 18:05   #940
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Italian government is willing to establish a mandate over the Rhine cities in order to create a DMZ between France and Germany
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old November 28, 2002, 19:38   #941
Dr. Nick
Deity

Fortresses on either side of the Rhine are fine by me.
Old November 28, 2002, 19:46   #942
winterfritz
Prince

France will not move her forts off the Rhine, where they will lose their river square defensive bonuses. There will be no DMZ. As stated previously, France will review the fortification system once there is actual evidence that it hinders the very existence of Germany as a viable nation state, but only then.

As for the German nationals... its an established precedent in this thread (see somewhere in the 50 odd pages ) that minorities within democratic governments (such as France) are more than adequately represented and not persecuted in any way. The ethnic Germans on the French side of the Rhine are very happy (latest poll: 91% very happy, 6% happy, 3% undecided) and couldn't give a damn whether they are administered from Paris or Berlin. Germany thus needs no 'compensation' for having lost German cities to France, Britain, Italy and Russia (meaning the cities which are not going to be given back in the restoration). So France stands by her earlier proposal, that France and Germany each get half of the Rhine squares and exclusive administration of the tiles on their respective sides of the river.

Last edited by winterfritz; November 28, 2002 at 19:56.
Old November 28, 2002, 21:51   #943
The ANZAC
King

Russia stands by the DMZ proposal. Any movement of combat units into that zone would result in war. It would serve as a buffer and would not block development.

Also France should give back the rights to the squares as control of those squares come and go with the cities. Also we are trying to reconcile, not incite here

Herr Awrence: when this game gets up to speed, where should we contact you at? An email might help.
Old November 28, 2002, 21:56   #944
Dr. Nick
Deity

*points to sig*
Old December 3, 2002, 23:37   #945
The ANZAC
King

So.............................Case
Old December 4, 2002, 05:46   #946
Case
Emperor

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry, for some dumb reason I was waiting for Fritz to restore Germany before playing my turn. In fact, I was about to bump him!

----------

The Italian people grow more productive, with factories and dockyards opening across the nation.
Attached Files:
File Type: net italy1907jan.net (204.9 KB, 2 views)
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 4, 2002, 23:25   #947
winterfritz
Prince

Ok, I have played my turn and returned Rostock, Magdeburg, Erfurt, Berlin, Dresden and Leipzig to Germany using CivTweak and CivCity.

One snag. I did all this by simply changing the file extension from .net to .sav, so that the utilities would recognise the file. But the .sav file still remembers the passwords, so I can't turn on cheat mode and get rid of the English/Russian conscripts still in the cities, or gift Germany techs, or destroy all France's enemies using ctrl-shift-D

Should we just give the techs to Germany the usual way during our turns? And have Britain and Russia hand over their conscripts too? And in that case, how will we give Germany her unique tech?
Old December 4, 2002, 23:30   #948
The ANZAC
King

I am pretty sure I removed all my conscripts and left only the German-style ones there.

I guess if the passwords need to go, we should do that then. And yes, they should have the same techs as before they were anihilated

These Christmas smilies are great: I forgot about them
Old December 4, 2002, 23:34   #949
winterfritz
Prince

The conscripts are the German style; its just that you still own them, rather than Germany
Old December 4, 2002, 23:35   #950
The ANZAC
King

Well, when the cities are handed over, they'll get them back.
Old December 5, 2002, 00:35   #951
Choke
Prince

You can turn on cheat mode when there are passwords, it's really, really simple. You should be able to do those changes without any external programs.
Old December 5, 2002, 19:13   #952
The ANZAC
King

Yeah, I think he knows that, but was just asking permission first.
Old December 5, 2002, 20:18   #953
winterfritz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The ANZAC
Yeah, I think he knows that, but was just asking permission first.
Actually, I don't

So unless someone would care to enlighten me with the forbidden knowledge (like Prometheus ) I guess I'll just post the save and let someone else add techs etc.
Old December 5, 2002, 20:38   #954
winterfritz
Prince

Oops, forgot the file.
Attached Files:
File Type: net fj1907.net (205.0 KB, 3 views)
Old December 5, 2002, 20:54   #955
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Yeah Choke figured it out a few days ago, all it takes is a little intuition, no programs. What do you need done to it? I only need the French password and I can do it if you want.

As far as I can read:

1) As Germany, capture the indicated cities and cheat-build any improvements destroyed by their being captured.

2) Create an alliance between each nation and Germany.

3) Give the techless new Germany all the techs it had before being destroyed, plus a few more.*

* - What are the extra techs you guys think they should have?

Edits: added tasks as I read through the thread.

Last edited by Darius871; December 5, 2002 at 21:13.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:08   #956
The ANZAC
King

Sure, that sounds fine, but we can just hand over the ciites diplomatically and that should work fine.

Also, no extra techs yet for Germany. Just the ones it had before
Old December 5, 2002, 21:25   #957
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The ANZAC
Sure, that sounds fine, but we can just hand over the ciites diplomatically and that should work fine.
Fine either way, but if I just capture them and replace the destroyed improvements/units, you don't have to arrange meeting times.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:30   #958
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Doesn't trading online destroy happines improvements anyway?
Old December 5, 2002, 21:32   #959
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Nope, that's the advantage of doing it that way.
Old December 5, 2002, 21:35   #960
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

oh, well then I really don't care, if just taking them over and putting everything back's easier, then by all means do that though