inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 14:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
So, What's Your Favorite Civ ?
I decided on mine, for now. I think.
Aztec. Military-Religous.
Starts with Jaguar Warrior that moves 2 and adds an expansionist aspect to the Civ.
What's yours. and why?
Old January 12, 2002, 14:09   #2
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 21:17
I voted Britain
The english are it for me. As for playing style, I'm an empire builder. Thus expansionist is great for me. Let's you get a good tech lead (especially on huge maps). Commercial is good for reaping in those bucks, and thus getting even further ahead in tech

Asmodean
Old January 12, 2002, 14:23   #3
QuickGold
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 19:17
I voted for Germany. My strategy is to concentrate on expansion and peace for the beginning of the game, and I usually begin my military strike around the Industrial age. The Panzer is a great unit that reminds me the true meaning of Blitzkrieg Creating dominance in the Industrial age sets up Germany for great things for the years to follow.
Old January 12, 2002, 16:55   #4
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 20:17
I choose Rome, because of a misplaced sense of nationalism.
Old January 12, 2002, 17:05   #5
Dejango
Settler

I put Egypt because they are religious, and get anarchy bonus plus temple/cathedral bonuses (good for democracy) and they are industrious...thus better workers, which means for a fast expansion. I'm an economic/political person. My empire with egypt now is dominating the culture so much that it is almost 12 civs equal my one culture rating.

---Ayn Rand
Old January 12, 2002, 18:31   #6
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
Well, mine wasn't listed. It's Civ2!

John-SJ
Old January 13, 2002, 00:26   #7
satyajedi
Chieftain

Greeks. I think they are the ultimate in the building / pacifistic strategy. The commercial gives me an edge in the rampant corruption problem, the scientific helps me with cheap libraries and universities that so dramatically help my culture. And the Hopilite gives me an easy way to defend my cities in the ancient period (plus, I like getting the early golden age from the Hops).

-Satya
Old January 13, 2002, 00:54   #8
Ironikinit
Prince

My favorite one used to be Babylon, but lately it's been Japan.

Scientific ability takes a back seat to the leaders a properly managed militaristic country can produce, and religion is worth it just for the cheap temples alone.

Add to that a fast unique unit that requires only iron, has a good attack and defense, and comes along at an opportune time for a solid golden age, Japan rocks.

Apparently people don't agree. At the time of my vote, I was the only one who voted for Japan and Babylon had none.
Old January 13, 2002, 00:56   #9
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:17
The sakkra
The Sakkra: their increased population growth and their subtarrenean abilities, leading to Huge gaia planets with pop. 42 and... Wait, I think this is the wrong forum! Whoops, my bad!

P.S. Will this be posted on the Civilizations forum as well?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old January 13, 2002, 01:59   #10
TechWins
King

Local Time: 12:17
Sorry but I haven't voted yet, but you did give me an idea for a poll. What is your favorite Civ game to play?

BtW, John-Sj, I did read your post, but I thought of that idea before I read your post (as soon as I read the subject title in fact), so it's not like I'm trying to steal your idea. I just wanted to have that settled, ok?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old January 13, 2002, 12:30   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I think I'm clearing in my mind on this.

Science is nice, but it can be controlled.
Commercial, I'll try to wipe out that Civ early.
Expansionist, nice but not what I need.
Industrious is really nice, but I can only pick 2.

For me:
Militaristic, I like how the progression to elite hastens.
Religious, culture is a big deal.

All III needs is to be MP.

Last edited by SlowwHand; January 13, 2002 at 15:09.
Old January 13, 2002, 13:44   #12
TinCow
Chieftain

I voted French, but that's only partially true. I like the French industrial and commercial power in large games with fewer civs where I can expand peacefully. Their UU I don't find to be that usefull (especially because I can't upgrade to it), but it does appear at a perfect time to get a fabulously prosperous Golden Age.

However, in smaller games and/or games with lots of competition (i.e. Standard w/ 16 civs) I prefer the Romans. Militaristic is a must for early warfare, and the UU is pretty damn useful in combat. It large numbers, Legions can take cities very effectively and hold them as well... Legions become a moving wall of military expansion.
Old January 13, 2002, 18:26   #13
quicksilver417
Settler

i choose American because they rule iun the later game and cuz im american baby!!!
oh yea, i noticed that they get a lot more respect from other qorld leaders

and last of all, they are the best civ in real life so its the best
Old January 13, 2002, 19:54   #14
Dienstag
Warlord

I choose Germany too, because: (1) Panzers, (2) the Scientific trait fits my personality nicely, (3) my favorite color is blue, (4) I don't have to worry about fighting against them.
Old January 13, 2002, 20:02   #15
Ironikinit
Prince

I think the U.S. would be cooler if they were commercial/industrious and had a special cavalry unit sim. to the russians or a special artillery unit. An infantry special unit could be cool, with a +2 offense. Post industrial revolution UU should get +2 to their ability. (The base number is significantly higher for offense and defence of all units.) That would also give the Germans a bigger attack, too.

I haven't seen a modern era golden age, but it sounds like it would just make a lot of pollution. Does it?

Persians have a better UU than Roman

Try the samauri. Good unit, militaristic country.
Old January 14, 2002, 05:22   #16
Calorman
Chieftain

I like the barbarians.
Old January 14, 2002, 05:33   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Rome. The Gods (and the Legions) are on your side.

Barbarians are a cool second. *To crush the enemy, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their women.* One of my all time fav movie quotes.

Salve
Old January 14, 2002, 05:38   #18
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

France! France?

Who could pick France?

Were it not for Rome, those North of the mountains would be living in tents, painting themselves blue and dancing around camp fires.

France! Ptuuuuee!

Salve
Old January 14, 2002, 07:51   #19
Bambul
Warlord

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
French all the way baby!
I just can't go by the commercial and industrious traits of the French. Commercial gives me alphabet and puts me 2 techs off Great Library and also keeps corruption down. Industrious is for those workers, especially all the captured workers which I take during wars (they are my main gains).

The UU is probably the most ordinary of all the UU's, but a quick dab in the Editor to give them a defensive bonus rather than offence quickly changes that.
Old January 14, 2002, 08:08   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like the Iroquois. Their UU is very nice, a retreating early attack unit that actually does some decent damage. While the Aztecs are nice (and deadly), theres something about sending 5 units to their death just to defeat a single enemy that seems cold and heartless to me
Old January 14, 2002, 10:33   #21
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I'd say you need work on your Aztec strategy then.

Lot of Roman and French advocates voting.

Last edited by SlowwHand; January 14, 2002 at 12:33.
Old January 14, 2002, 11:50   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:17
Babylon is #1 in my book, with Egypt a close second. Religious is my favorite trait, and both industrious and scientific work well w/religious.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 14, 2002, 13:09   #23
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 20:17
I agree with Arrian, religious is the best trait and Babs and Egypts have the best trait mix. But both civs tend to have a GA in the ancient era, where it is completely useless. Twenty quick turns of increased production and some more bucks for a tech (which I can usually buy cheap) and that was it. To avoid this, I must either not build my UU (which would really suck) or avoid wars, which is a disadvantage in the land grab phase and not always possible.

I use to be either the Germans (vote), though I'm not much a war monger, but I can't stand the face of Bismarck as my enemy , or the Babylonians (see above).
Old January 14, 2002, 13:22   #24
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:17
I must join the fans of Babylon (the civ or the series Babylon 5, all the same). I play pacifistically, and so Bab is the Culture Machine.
Though the Germans have their points, as do the Japanese who combine the best of the two civs.
Old January 14, 2002, 13:29   #25
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Good deal.
If/when it becomes MP, I won't have all rushing for Aztecs.
Old January 15, 2002, 22:45   #26
Zarn
Chieftain

I like the French for two reasons

1. Their characteristics are the best. Low corruption and high production

2. Joan of Arc
Old January 15, 2002, 23:29   #27
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Aztec all the way, baby! Pound for pound, there simply is no more deadly UU in the game, and it's all too easy to coast to victory when all your nearby opponents are dead and buried (or entirely submissive) in 1000BC, leaving you to fill up the continent at your leisure.

If the next patch tones down the fast unit withdraw abilitly tho, it'd have to go back to the Babs....nothing creates turn advantage like half-price almost everything!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old January 16, 2002, 00:57   #28
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 15:17
tsk tsk

Sloww, you have turned your back on the boycott. For shame. Please tell me you got a pirated copy.

(and if so, hook a brotha up)

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old January 16, 2002, 01:03   #29
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

eeehhh

well, hmm

I haven't played in a while, and this is a copy off of my exact same thread!! JK, that one is obsolete.

because my answer would be different. While I have played the aztecs more than any other civ, my favourite civ (the last civ I played with a month ago) is the Japanese. The same attributes as the aztecs, but a uu at a later age. This way I avoid ancient age golden ages.

If I ever play again it will be as the japanese.
Old January 16, 2002, 01:11   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

eeehhh

well, hmm

I haven't played in a while, and this is a copy off of my exact same thread!! JK, that one is obsolete.

because my answer would be different. While I have played the aztecs more than any other civ, my favourite civ (the last civ I played with a month ago) is the Japanese. The same attributes as the aztecs, but a uu at a later age. This way I avoid ancient age golden ages.

If I ever play again it will be as the japanese.