Old January 12, 2002, 20:32   #1
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 19:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD Sim games
hey..i just recently got a lap top and on there, i have a bunch of SIM games. Except these don't look like the SIms that are coming out now, with the familes and houses etc. I have SIm Earth (which reminds me vaguely of civ), SIm Ant, and Sim Life. THese tends to have completely inferior graphics to what is produced today. Also, the copyright dates are back in the early 90's. so..how long have SIm games been around? what was the first one? when did it become popular? and WHY? and any hints on playing these games that i have?
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old January 12, 2002, 22:34   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

The first one was Sim City, which was released sometime in the 80's (I'm guessing '86 or '87 - Sim Earth was the second sim game, and made in '88.) Sim City was also what made Maxis, and sim games in general popular. Why? probably because Maxis was the first to succesfully create a simulation game of this nature - and is still pretty much the only company in the market for these types of games.

I'll make a list of the other lesser known sim games of the past.
  • Sim City
  • Sim City 2000
  • Sim Island
  • Sim Farm
  • Sim Golf (not the one which sid is involved in, an older version)
  • Sim Tower
  • Sim Copter
  • Streets of Sim City
  • Sim Health
  • Sim Town (kiddy version of sim city)
  • Sim Park (kiddy version of sim isle)
  • Sim Earth
  • Sim Life
  • Sim Ant

Do It Ourselves
Old January 13, 2002, 20:01   #3
MattyBoy
Prince

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This URL has plenty of SimAnt details. Sounds pretty good and the page includes other links that might answer your questions (see the bottom of the page).
Old January 14, 2002, 01:20   #4
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:17
Sim Ant was a pretty fun game, too bad I bought it the exact same trip that I bought MOO.

Sim Earth is the most abstract of the Sim line, imho, and kinda played like a math formula... "hmmm. If I set rain to x, and temperature to y, and make evolution to be this easy then what will happen in 300 million years?"
Old January 14, 2002, 03:40   #5
devilmunchkin
Warlord

did anyone else kinda feel like SImEarth reminded them of civ to an extent?
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old January 14, 2002, 07:46   #6
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 21:17
there is also a Sim Safari.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old January 14, 2002, 15:19   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
In 1997 a gamemagazine had a Simcity 3000 contest, where they mentioned many times that the first SimCity was released 10 years earlier, now the question was to figure out when the first SimCity was released
Old January 16, 2002, 09:38   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:17
Btw, you can play the classic Sim City here :
http://simcity.ea.com

(press the "Classic Live!" link).
Old January 16, 2002, 11:28   #9
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

SimEarth didn't seem too much like Civ to me, since wars and technology advances were extremely abstracted. My Earth simulation might have fifty different cultures on it or it might have only one, but that doesn't affect the workings of my planet until they run out of fossil fuels (and begin a world war).

I never actually played the scenarios for SimEarth; I just gave myself infinite energy and played around with floods and earthquakes. Whooo!
Old January 16, 2002, 12:22   #10
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

By the way, if you feel like starting a world war, have the civilization on your planet advance to the Indusrial age, and have them exclusively use fossil fuels to gather their energy. Within no time they'll use up all of the fossil fuels, and BAM, instant world war.

For a nuclear war, advance the civilization to the Atomic age, and have them use up both their fossil fuels and their atomic fuels. BAM! Global thermonuclear war, complete with nuclear winter. Wutang!