Old January 13, 2002, 08:26   #1
Lewk
Settler

Local Time: 19:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Newbie help :)
right, i used to play civ 2 a lot. but i only ever played it on chieftain, because i never had the guts to go up a level. so now i have civ 3, and have played it in chieftain a few times,i was thinking of going to regent. does this make the game a lot harder?

Also, is REX a good tactic? and i have this thing where i fear using any military power whatsoever. should i fear war? I just have this fear i am going to get whupped.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
Old January 13, 2002, 12:26   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
Re: Newbie help :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Lewk
right, i used to play civ 2 a lot. but i only ever played it on chieftain, because i never had the guts to go up a level. so now i have civ 3, and have played it in chieftain a few times,i was thinking of going to regent. does this make the game a lot harder?

Also, is REX a good tactic? and i have this thing where i fear using any military power whatsoever. should i fear war? I just have this fear i am going to get whupped.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
In Civ I & II, I've always played at the Regent equivalent, and for the most part I've always been assured of coming out on top in the end, and getting most of the Wonders. But with this version, it's a whole new ball game. I actually have to work hard to stay on top, if I can even get there. I always seem to be outnumbered/outsized, and usually end up taking a sound beating in any war. So yes, it is harder. But it's also the level where there's no bonuses/restrictions for either the player or the AI.

As for REX, it's about the only tactic to use really. The AI tries to expand so rapidly, you have to hussle in order to keep up. It helps a lot if you can expand right in front of him/her and cut off the opportunity for further expansion. But forget about building units in them, just cultural improvements and courthouses. Reinforce from your main empire.
Old January 13, 2002, 15:00   #3
Lewk
Settler

Ah thanks. im rubbish at these games though, i always come out at the end as "the pathetic"
Old January 13, 2002, 15:24   #4
Taarkin
Settler

Does difficulty have anything to do with your ranking at the end? I conquered the world on chieftan and I was ranked 3rd fro mthe bottom.
Old January 13, 2002, 17:47   #5
Lewk
Settler

I think it must do.
Old January 13, 2002, 18:33   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:18
Lewk.

Why not just start a war, just for the hell of it? Do something, judge results, do something a bit different, etc. In the end you may loose your first war (and second, maybe). So what? Regard those games as trainers or simulations. ie your training yourself. In a trainer, reloading autosaves is no big deal. It is for training right?

They did do a good job for the AI at war, but any committed player should be able to figure out how to best it. After all, it will not change, but you will as you learn. That is your advantage. That is what Soren cannot overcome (yet).

This reminds me of that scene in a Conan movie. What gives the most pleasure? To crush the enemy, drive them before you and to hear the lamentations of their women. Think happy thoughts.

Salve
Old January 13, 2002, 21:49   #7
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 14:18
They ripped that line off from Ghengis Khan.
Old January 14, 2002, 11:03   #8
Lewk
Settler

I started a war against the romans, and wiped them out. but then, i was on chieftain. i was playing as the aztecs.

i learned this.

Impi warriors are rubbish offensive, but good defence
Archers are good offence but rubbish defence
Swordsmen are average offence and defence

they are the only 3 units i used. am i correct? have i learned?
Old January 14, 2002, 12:07   #9
Aeson
Emperor

Try using veteran Horsemen exclusively next time. Make sure to build up a sizeable force before attacking (and don't attack the Zulu's). In any non-Zulu war, horsemen are by far the most effective units in my experience. Later on in the game, upgrade them to Knights, and then Calvary.
Old January 14, 2002, 13:07   #10
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Lewk
I started a war against the romans, and wiped them out. but then, i was on chieftain. i was playing as the aztecs.

i learned this.

Impi warriors are rubbish offensive, but good defence
Archers are good offence but rubbish defence
Swordsmen are average offence and defence

they are the only 3 units i used. am i correct? have i learned?
Archers aren't bad if you stick them up in a mountain, especially against Barbarians. I generally use them just for lookouts.
Old January 14, 2002, 14:20   #11
Lewk
Settler

hah i said i as playing as z\tecs, im actually playing zulu, hehe.
woops
Old January 14, 2002, 15:11   #12
Aeson
Emperor

Ah, the Zulu's are the perfect Civ to use for a Horseman rush, as Impies make for great support units. Wasn't sure if you meant Zulu's instead of Aztecs, or Jag Warriors instead of Impies, so included the warning against attacking the Zulu's.
Old January 14, 2002, 17:38   #13
Lewk
Settler

Aha, thanks to all your help i just successfully trok out the babylonians. I'm now on one continent with the persians the only ones left, howeveer theres another 5 civs somewhere, that i cant discover yet due to lack of proper boats. dammit i hate galleys.