Old January 13, 2002, 22:39   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Who should design CivIV?
Who would you like to design CivIV? Should it be Sid again? Maybe Brian? Or a startup company that demonstrates the necessary passion for the genre?
Old January 13, 2002, 23:00   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 15:19
Firaxis needs to move on. Gettsyburg was great, so there is still potential yet. But with Sid basically showing NO interest in the Civ line anymore, leaving it up to whoever happens to show up to work that day results in, well, Civ3 -- actually.

It would be a pity to see such a Civ4.

So my answer is: Not Firaxis.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old January 13, 2002, 23:17   #3
Yolky
Prince

Only one true answer for that.
Brian Renylods(did i spell it correctly?)

anyways what is he working on now? I know he started his own company (cow something?) but havn't herd since. anyone know?

Davor
Old January 13, 2002, 23:58   #4
DaShi
Emperor

He's working for Microsoft producing RTS games. You can check the BigHugGames forum, but there isn't much activity since he hasn't announced any new games yet.
Old January 14, 2002, 00:07   #5
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 14:19
Brian would get my vote by a large margin. I would rather see him do SMAC2 however.

For Civ4 I would like to see someone start with a blank sheet of paper and build a brand new game system.
Old January 14, 2002, 00:18   #6
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

I'd say Brian Reynolds, the guy who made Civ 2.

I think he could fix all the little details/issues in Civ3 that Sid and his programmers have overlooked.
Old January 14, 2002, 01:28   #7
TechWins
King

Local Time: 12:19
Quote:
I think he could fix all the little details/issues in Civ3 that Sid and his programmers have overlooked.
I don't neccasarily think, at least I hope, that Firaxis overlooked the flaws of Civ3, yet, they didn't/don't have the time/money/people/resources to overcome them.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old January 14, 2002, 02:58   #8
Yook
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:19
*Yook sneaks out from behind the couch to de-lurk and say something*

Neat question. I agree with jimmytrick. I would love to see Brian do SMAC2, I think that would really neat.

Civ4...not Firaxis. I'm enjoying playing Civ3 at the moment, but not anything at all like how it was designed to be played. It's an amusing diversion, but I set it up so that everything goes down in the Ancient Age and I can just have a quick little game. It's not a Civ game for me, not anymore.

So, Civ4...I'd like to see someone else come in and start fresh. Turn-based, still. And with the scope we're used to. But with more modern sensibilities and a different perspective. Not beholden to the past. And aimed not at the hardcore nor the noobs, but at people like me, who just want to play a fun, challenging game.

-Yook
Old January 14, 2002, 03:22   #9
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Brain Reynolds or someone like him. Anyone remember Gary Grigsby?

Sid only had one big idea and he got that off an old board game called, guess what? Civilisation

Civ III just isn't as polished a product as civ II. Its quite disappointing really. Not a true heir.

The best outcome would be for someone to take the best of Civ II and CTP II and make a new title. There's a huge opportunity there. Civ III is okay but it doesn't cut it.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 14, 2002, 03:27   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:19
Quote:
The best outcome would be for someone to take the best of Civ II and CTP II and make a new title.
Agreed. I wonder why Firaxis didn't approach it this way. Copyrights? Throw in a refined culture model and resources... Bliss.

Salve
Old January 14, 2002, 04:03   #11
Jamison
Settler

Who should develop Civ4? Brain Reyonlds all the way. I think he did a wonderful job on SMAC. Only thing I don't like about SMAC is, a faction that builds a city a tile away from your city, takes a row of tiles from you. I find this very annoying, I have workers working the tiles and here come the Gaians, and they take away my tile
Old January 14, 2002, 05:31   #12
The Templar
Prince

Who should develop civ 4?

Activision - that's who!
Old January 14, 2002, 05:46   #13
Calorman
Chieftain

I think a monkey in a tuxedo suit should design Civ4.

Personal opinions are great things eh?
Old January 14, 2002, 05:55   #14
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calorman
I think a monkey in a tuxedo suit should design Civ4.

Personal opinions are great things eh?
Yes, but I think that it would have to be a blue tuxedo.
Old January 14, 2002, 07:54   #15
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:19
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Who should develop civ 4?

Activision - that's who!
After they ballsed up CTP II? You MUST be joking.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old January 14, 2002, 08:01   #16
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
After they ballsed up CTP II? You MUST be joking.
Activision's programmers, but with Brian leading the team, and working for a company who recognises that deadlines are less important that getting the game finished? If CtP II was finished, it would be great. In some ways its a similar situation to that of Civ3. A little more time to fix the bugs, and balance the game and it could be amazing. Luckily CtP2 had more potential to improve via SLIC, but hopefully Firaxis have more long-term commitment to patches etc.
Old January 14, 2002, 08:04   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
I'd say Brian Reynolds, the guy who made Civ 2.
After he ballsed up Civ III? You MUST be joking.

Seriously, its because of him leaving during development that Civ 3 is the unpolished, unfinished game that it is. Why would you want him to do that again?!?
Old January 14, 2002, 08:54   #18
Thoth
King

Re: Who should design CivIV?
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Who would you like to design CivIV?
How about Velocyrix, Korn, the Aussie Lurker and a few of the other creative Civ playing Modders?
Old January 14, 2002, 09:16   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 21:19
I'd say Sid Meyer

Brian shouldn't even have designed Civ2.
Old January 14, 2002, 09:52   #20
Mannamagnus
Prince

Brain Reynolds

Last edited by Mannamagnus; January 14, 2002 at 10:01.
Old January 14, 2002, 13:27   #21
ACooper
Prince

YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN, YIN
Old January 14, 2002, 15:46   #22
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Here's a quote from a guy who used to post in these forums. He seems to have some pretty good ideas on game design:

Quote:

"Turn Offs" -- Negative Game Experiences

... we can all remember examples of flaws which ruined an otherwise pleasant game. Turn offs are the pitfalls to be avoided in crafting and polishing a game.

Fallen and I Can't Get Up. It is dull to keep playing after you know you've "lost" and can't possibly win. If you can get "stuck" where there is no hope to complete the game, or fall so far behind in the competition that you have absolutely no chance to catch up, that's a major turn off. In a multiplayer game, it's no fun to have to keep playing "to be a good sport" after you know you can no longer win. Even worse, when two players remain in the competition, but a third player is kept in the game and put in a position of a "spoiler," who cannot win himself but can ruin the position of one or the other player.

The Rich get Richer and the Poor get Poorer. Similarly (though perhaps more surprisingly), it is dull to have to keep playing after you know you've "won." Players lose interest the moment the game ceases to be a competition and merely becomes a mopping up operation. Both of these first two problems are classic symptoms of what I call the "Rich get Richer" syndrome: the farther ahead a player is the easier it becomes to get further ahead, and the farther behind a player falls the harder it is for him to catch up. This is one of the easiest traps for a game system to fall into and one of the hardest to correct for. In "rich get richer" games, players may start on even ground, but once one-layer gains a slight advantage, the game system enters a positive feedback loop which compounds that advantage until the player is unstoppable.

Uninteresting/Linear Decisions. It is dull to be required to make decisions that aren't interesting. For instance if the decision is "fight, bribe, or flee" and "fight" is always the answer which advances you furthest in the game, then it making that decision rapidly loses its interest. If it is always right to give the ring to the princess, but you still get to "decide" whether or not to do so, once you know the right answer the decision becomes uninteresting.

Micromanagement. It is likewise dull to have to make decisions that aren't important. A decision's importance is proportional to the effect that decision can have on the outcome of the game. In a game about the entire Eastern Front of WW2, having to make decisions about individual squads and platoons misses the forest for the trees. Players want to "cut to the chase" and concentrate on the key decisions which directly make the difference between victory and defeat.
Nothing Happening. It's dull to reach a long period of "stagnation" where you aren't really moving forward in the game, or it isn't obvious what you need to do to move forward in the game. Players expect to be entertained by the game, so when the game stagnates they aren't getting the stimulation they expect.

Bang, You're Dead. Sudden and arbitrary setbacks don't go over well. It is simply human nature that people don't like to have things taken away from them, especially when the decision seems arbitrary and capricious. Players don't want to spend hours building a beautiful city to have it suddenly and arbitrarily disappear into a crevasse. This is particularly true of major setbacks, but is true of setbacks in general.

Bang, Your Head. It is frustrating to "bang your head" repeatedly against a problem without making noticeable progress. When I play the same scenario for the twelfth time and once again get pounded into the dirt with no real clue as to what I'm doing wrong, I'm pretty much ready to turn the computer off. Frustration is not entertaining-in fact, the opposite. I am stunned by how often games seem to go well out of their way to annoy and irritate their players!
Old January 14, 2002, 16:21   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote saved.
Old January 14, 2002, 16:37   #24
pg
Prince

civ4?
i'd like to see civ4 designed by some fans hired by whatever company gets to do civ4(hopefully not firaxis they seemed burned out) along with fresh talent. honestly, i think civ style needs drastic reinnovation, and someone with a strong creative, and fresh vision to rework the game. it needs more added complexity while still being easy and fast to play. the civ1 style(which civ3 is more or less) is too dated, imo, to continue for civ4. btw, by civ style i mean updated gfx, and rehashed gameplay.

i'd like to see more complex systems for everything, while introducing new concepts that make sense. stuff like religion, and being able to emulate all the different ages that took place on earth would be important, if they could actually do such without it just being copies of each other with new gfx. i hope they get their heads out of the sand and realize making a game for the hardcore people is better in the long run because people don't stay newbies forever. remember good gameplay is what it is all about and that same good gameplay also gave civ the famous name.

be interesting if civ4 took some ideas from koei's romance series, which i like a lot. looking over this forum i can find so many good ideas, it is really mind boggling. i honestly don't have any hope for civ4. once a good developper makes a good game it seems their creative vision dies and willingness to take a risk at innovation dies(i play the corporations!). all the classics are just more of the same with rehashed gameplay, and new gfx. i am much more interested in the opensource civ games being developed by fans and newer upstart game companies that have to innovative to make a name for themselves.
Old January 14, 2002, 20:10   #25
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

After he messed up Civ III? You MUST be joking.

Seriously, its because of him leaving during development that Civ 3 is the unpolished, unfinished game that it is. Why would you want him to do that again?!?
Why do you think it's Brian's problem that there are unfinished elements in CivIII? If he was not there, wouldn't the responsibility be on other people? Unless you mean if he had of been there it would have turned out to be a much more polished game.

BTW, does anyone REALLY know why he left Firaxis?

Last edited by Kevin Ar18; January 14, 2002 at 20:23.
Old January 14, 2002, 20:12   #26
Kevin Ar18
Warlord

Here's a quote from the Civ2 manual (in the Designer Notes section)
Civilization II began as a day long brainstorming session around Sid Meir's round table with Sid, Biran Reynolds, and Jeff Briggs. Brian then retreated to the dales of Yorkshire for a year to formulate the design and put together a series of prototypes which eventually became the game engine. Meanwhile, Jeff began putting a first-rate team together and Doug Kaufman, one of our most experienced designers as well as one of the world's great emeritus Civ experts, pounded away at the prototype, finding loopholes and making sure it was actually possible to beit Deity level. If you like the fact that you need an Aqueduct to get a city past size 8 now, you can thank Doug!

P.S. Brian Reynolds name and signature are at the end of the designer notes, thus I assume he must have written them.
Old January 14, 2002, 23:38   #27
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

If they asked me to sign on, I certainly would! LOL...yeah, like THAT'LL happen, but hey! I can dream, right? And, I still have a heckuva lot of faith in the series....a bit of disenchantment won't chase that away....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old January 23, 2002, 21:55   #28
Gromit
Warlord

here, here Velociryx