Old January 14, 2002, 19:55   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3.1, An Idea For a Variant.
Age of Discovery

Start all 16 Civs on one fairly large continent. Then put lots of other islands and continents around for them to fight over, with different luxuries on each. Make the luxuries into a form of unit that must be transported on a ship and can be stolen. When it arrives at home it lasts a certain amount of time, perhaps depending on the size of your Civ, and you can sell it to your own people as well as other Civs. Other Civs will try to take it on the high seas.

Also, put much less advanced tribes on these other land masses that can be enslaved as subject races which might rebel, or even your own colonists might rebel.

I'm not certain how a winner might be defined. I'd like to lop off the end game and bring it to a conclusion after the age of sail.

Also, limit the ironclads to operating in the areas surrounding cities you own. Coaling stations needed to be nearby for quite a long time. The early ones tended to burn to the waterline and sink as well, being wooden ships 'clad' in iron with hot furnaces blazing away. They should just burn up and sink every so often. It wasn't until steel and steel hulls that coal fired ships went intercontinental.

Anyhoo, I'm off my subject. Anyone think Civ 3.1 a good idea?
Old January 14, 2002, 20:15   #2
Zealot
King

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Seems like a good idea for a scenario!
Don't you think you should discuss this in the Creation forum?