Old January 15, 2002, 11:37   #1
Ghidera
Settler

Local Time: 11:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Non-flame suggestions to improve gameplay
I don't want to change how gameplay works, just add some convenience things:

1) Do not "wake" units when a mass upgrade is done (shift-U). Had almost 200 Infantry that I upgraded to mechs last night (ugh!).

2) Add a "go to unrest" button. When you're playing a huge map and own half the world, finding the city in unrest can take a while. Yes, I do look at the list of cities and try to find the ones with zero production. Hard looking at a wall of numbers after 15 hours playing though =)

3) Add stacked movement like so many people are asking for. All units in a stack move at the rate of the slowest unit in the stack. No bonuses for a stack.

4) Add a "mass disband" for workers. I usually have a virtual army of workers by the time I hit steam power (had 96 last night). Once all the railroads are built though, its time for some massive downsizing. Finding and disbanding 67 workers takes a LOOOONG time. Perhaps an option for "Disband idle workers" or even if its just a "disband stack" it would be very helpful (had 18 playing poker in a city waiting for work-orders).

No, I'm not going to complain about between-turn delays. I realize that Civ really is a processor intensive game and if I want shorter delays I have to get a faster computer.
Old January 15, 2002, 12:50   #2
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:22
Ask for non-flame suggestions and nobody responds.

I have a few ideas (most of this has already been posted by other people) in no particular order and incomplete

1. "Sentry" mode!
2. Negotiate peace (or hire a mercenary) between to 2 other civs.
3. Other civs Units respect borders
4. More civ's
5. Minor Civ's
6. Civil Wars

Opps, gotta go (I'm at work) I'll post more later.
Old January 15, 2002, 14:22   #3
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 13:22
All four of your ideas sound good to me. The mass disband could be a bit dangerous, tho... The civil disorder in particular would be handy. It's frustrating to lose a wonder only because you forget to appease some grumbling masses.

One good idea to enforce borders that I read somewhere on the forum is a no-nationality land unit (like the privateer). If someone won't leave, you kill him - with no blow to your reputation or diplomatic stance.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old January 15, 2002, 14:50   #4
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 14:22
Quote:
Ask for non-flame suggestions and nobody responds.

I have a few ideas (most of this has already been posted by other people) in no particular order and incomplete

1. "Sentry" mode!
2. Negotiate peace (or hire a mercenary) between to 2 other civs.
3. Other civs Units respect borders
4. More civ's
5. Minor Civ's
6. Civil Wars
1.) Yes please!

2.)
a.) Definetly would like to be able to help negotiate peace between two of my friends. But it would be interesting if this also forced you into a peacekeeping role . . .

b.) Mercenary empires, i assume you mean just paying someone to go to war against someone else, no strings attached? Its fun, but very easy to abuse.

3.) Hmm. Not sure what you mean.

4.) Turns take long enough as it is.

5.) Um. No. All civs should be created equal!

6.) YES YES YES. This should definetly be here, and should have been firaxis's prefered method of combating overly large empires. Just have the too corrupt parts split off, assuming there's less than 16 civs. I'd much rather this than the annoying culture revolts.
If i have 6 mechanized infantry units in that city, it is NOT going to split, cause if it tries i would make the streets run red with blood.
Old January 15, 2002, 15:02   #5
aschatz
Settler

1) Do not allow cities to culture revert during wartime. I continuously have situations where I am attacked by an enemy, defend myself, take one of his cities, and then lose it to a culture revert before he will make peace with me.

2) When cities culture revert, do not lose units in that city! Transfer them to nearest friendly city, perhaps.

3) Domestic victory is a joke! The worst part is, I built the UN, gave tons of stuff to the other civs to make them like me, held a vote, and LOST. That's the end of the game! Despite having the most culture and power I lost, with no warning. Even if they don't want to change the UN, they need to have the domestic advisor WARN YOU not to have the UN vote if you are going to LOSE.

4) Wonder graphics need to tell you what the wonder does.

I'll think of more later.

Aaron
Old January 15, 2002, 16:42   #6
Ivanho
Settler

I would like to see interface that makes sense. I hate going to diplomacy screen just to see what kind of trade agreements I have with that civ. There are numerous things in the UI that were left out because of the Christmas release date (or so it seems - it is the same way where I work so I can relate
Old January 15, 2002, 21:22   #7
Ironikinit
Prince

When you have a big stack of bombard units, it would be nice if you could coordinate fire. They would all attack the same thing until the visible defender is down to 1 hit point. They could call that "surpression" or so. In the case of a city, it would be nice if there were two options for mass fire: fire until defender is broken to one hit point or fire all units.

Warn the player somehow when the threat of reversion is high. Like the signal for WLTK day. Make sure this option can be turned off for people who like the current rules.
Old January 16, 2002, 04:25   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 21:22
non-flame suggestions? prepare to be called a 'fanboy' LOL
seriously, your points are spot on....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.