Old January 15, 2002, 14:07   #1
edub
Settler

Local Time: 13:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Spaceships in the 1800's ! How!?!
Hi again all-

From looking at some of the tournament results, it would appear some folks are able to get space victories as early as the mid to late 1800's.

I hope this doesn't come across too dumb...but how!?! I push research pretty hard, but never even get flight much before 1900. What am I missing here?

Regards,
Ethan
Old January 15, 2002, 15:00   #2
Achnor
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:23
Well, you should read all the strategy guides floating around in here.

Basically (regarding science and not how to build you empire) : Buy, sell, sell, buy, sell, buy and continue!

I generally do not invent anything until pretty late in the game. I up my economy max and start looking for the other civs. Just when you find a civ (prefferably more than two) , find out who's the "strong" one science-wise, buy from him and sell to the others. After doing this you will end up having all techs and a healthy income. Now is the time to do your own science. Cranck up max science and sell, sell, sell. If all your opponents are forced to buy from you 1) They won't attack you, 2) They can't afford their own research.

Also. When speaking to another civ and you ask for so and so much per turn you reach a limit. However, this limit is *only* for the current trade. If you max the limit, say bye, and trade again they have a new limit.

I think the AI balances how much goes to science and how much are profit. The AI's limit is obviously it's profit. When you say Bye, the AI will recalculate the balance, giving a new limit. In this way you can milk your opponent to bankrupcy(?) in a few turns, ensuring that you are the supreme tech-leader throughout the rest of the game.

/end babbling

Achnor
Old January 15, 2002, 16:45   #3
pchang
King

play harder
Try a harder difficulty setting. Believe it or not, technology advancement goes faster the harder the setting.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old January 15, 2002, 18:00   #4
inca911
Warlord

Tech Trading is the Key
The key to accelerating the scientific progress in the game is to actively trade/sell tech to everyone so that each AI is always researching a new undiscovered technology. The tech advancement of the entire game is thereby accelerated resulting in early AC launches. I have not tried to research every tech by myself to attempt an 1800s launch but I do not think it is likely unless you leverage the AIs research to augment your own.
Old January 16, 2002, 09:00   #5
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 21:23
Play on huge map, with 16 opponent and follow Achnor's advice.

First victory (Regent) : 1774, cultural => disable cultural victory: too easy.
Second victory (Monarch): 1822, spaceship

Note: I started many more games, but I get bored before official victory.
Old January 16, 2002, 10:28   #6
Qilue
King

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Disable Diplomatic victory too. Too easy to win if you've been peacefull for most of the game.
Old January 16, 2002, 21:02   #7
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Another factor is the map size used in the game. The smaller the map, the lower the cost of research for all civs. The cost on a standard map is double that of a tiny one. The cost doubles again when using a huge map. Launches in the 1600's are common on tiny maps.
Old January 18, 2002, 00:30   #8
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry
First victory (Regent) : 1774, cultural => disable cultural victory: too easy.
That was because you were on regent. Every kind of victory(except possibly diplomatic, which I like, having to jockey for the UN helps make the late game more interesting) is easier on lower difficulty levels, because you can get all those good culture wonders easily and early.
Old January 18, 2002, 00:42   #9
gnomos
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:23
AIs get research bonuses on higher difficulty levels, so tech advances faster. By buying and selling you get the max tech advance possible.
Old January 18, 2002, 20:50   #10
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 14:23
First, play a small map with India, France, and Iroquois as your rivals. Now when you start (any civ will do), just pump out settlers untill you either can't build any more cities or you have about 15 - 20 cities. Now, invest about 60% into tech. Use your best judgment on what to do, but don't invest less then 30% in tech. Build you tech building like university and never turn down a wonder of any kind. Make sure you have the right resources, if not, trade. I can win the space race circa 1900. This system dosn't work well under monarch, those Iroquois are not always peaceful