Old January 15, 2002, 15:46   #1
pchang
King

Local Time: 19:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Chasing the Capital Does Not Work
Going after the AI's capitals only works with the 1st capital. After that, it appears the culture production is not automatic. I have captured many AI capitals and then gone after the new capital only a few turns later. If the new capital only had 1 pop (this was often the case because the AI pop rushed defenders), it was destroyed.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old January 15, 2002, 15:57   #2
dadacp
Settler

I've seen the same thing. A later capital with pop 1 was captured and autorazed.
Old January 15, 2002, 17:02   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:23
A question: Did you capture the size-1 capitol on the same turn that you had nailed the previous capitol? It is possible, I think, once you've really beaten a civ down, for the capitol to move to a city that has yet to produce any culture. Now, the palace produces some every turn, but if you capture the city prior to the end of the turn, perhaps no culture has accumulated and the city is autorazed?

-Arrian

EDIT: Doh! Upon closer reading of the first post, it clearly states that the razed capitol was taken several turns later.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 15, 2002, 18:35   #4
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 13:23
I think a city has to have their borders expand before it stops auto-razing when they are captured. I've had size 2 cities that only had the 3x3 cultural borders that were auto-razed, but have captured and kept many size 1 cities (mostly capitols, but some that weren't) that had the full 21 tile cultural boundary.
Old January 15, 2002, 19:03   #5
pchang
King

Size 2 autorazed?
Are you sure it was size 2? The release notes said size 1 only. And, I have never seen size 2 auto razed. Lately, I have been trying to see how early I can conquer the world and so have been capturing a lot of small cities in recent games.

Old January 15, 2002, 19:28   #6
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 13:23
I'm pretty sure about it. One I remember was in a game about a week ago. The second Persian city was built by a cow, and I waited with my archers until it grew, then attacked. I could have just been seeing things though, or even an accidental click at the right moment to raze it myself without noticing? It certainly was a suprise to me when it happened.
Old January 16, 2002, 15:55   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:23
Size 2 Cities destroyed at capture
Sometimes there is a population reduction from combat. That could cause a city to have only 1 population and then either be destroyed or survive with the 1.

I do not yet understand the why's and wherefore's -- perhaps it is random. A little uncertainty is good!
Old January 17, 2002, 14:20   #8
barefootbadass
Prince

Chasing the capital does not work to do what? Are you trying to avoid destroying the cities?
Old January 17, 2002, 15:00   #9
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:23
Maybe capitol needs to have 2+ city radius (10+ culture), not only "some" culture.
Old January 17, 2002, 15:06   #10
pchang
King

maybe that's it
I have never been able to capture an enemy capital before it's culture radius expanded. Maybe that is the key.

Old January 18, 2002, 21:24   #11
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 14:23
I never go after the capital, I rather capture all of their cities surrounding their captial and cuting their capital off. Since the AI seems to only move the captial if it was captured.