Old October 1, 2000, 13:36   #1
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
Local Date: October 30, 2010
City View
The City View was one thing I really liked about the original Civ, and was forgotten (replaced by a really pathetic model).

I'd like to see in Civ3 a decent 3D graphci representative of the city, its inhabitants, its improvements and wondeers, units stationed there and whatever else could spruce up a city.

Ideally, the city view could be an extreme zoom in of the map. These cities would grow and spawl in later times, and wouldn't require much animating on the normal zoom (you can barely see them). They would represent your culture (i.e. buildings pertain to your civ) and would represent your current state (i.e. if you are an agricultural nation, you get a lot of windmills, farms and market squares, if you are industrial, you get a lot of factories and smog, etc.)
Old October 1, 2000, 22:26   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think this idea is pretty much a given - the only thing is that when I play civ2 on my computer, the city view (as in the nice one you have to click the button for - not the one with the nutrients) took quite a while to generate and was very jerky when I scrolled. I hope they take system requirements into consideration when they implement the thing.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 2, 2000, 18:22   #3
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Look, the city view in Civ2 is pathetic. Civ 1 was kind of cartoony with this, but with Civ2, it went out the window. The graphics were horrible...

This is a call to bring it back, in a detailed 3-D view that looks real...
Old October 2, 2000, 21:07   #4
OrangeSfwr

Shadowstrike - right on man! I started a few threads actually about this same topic, LONG LONG time ago. Don't remember what was said, but I think the general concensus was to take the Civ 1 - tight packed look and combine it with Civ 2 and beyond graphics. I hated the Civ2 city view. And why were some improvements and wonders not shown?

------------------
"One day I will become a master at every woman's favourite game,'Guess what I'm upset about'" ~ LatG
"Dookie doesn't spam, he just makes funposts" ~ Dookie
"I duct taped myself to the wall" ~ Fallen Angel Lord
"You have a dangerous degree of obesssion with modern chivalry" ~ EvC on Speer
"um...Geez, I don't know. I'm mature for my age or something?" ~ Bill3000
"It's a good bunch here!...better than my miserable social life in Hull" ~ Provost on Apolyton

Old October 3, 2000, 00:43   #5
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
I definatley agree, i liked seeing the city be _built_ when an improvement was added. it added to the whole feel of accomplishment, and helped put you in the game. same with the castle/throne room, the castle had options to choose from - not just "click here" to upgrade you chair. both of the orignal concepts (city view and castle) from civ I added to the game depth and really added to the feel of acomplishment within your civilization.

------------------
"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."
-Michael Sinz
[This message has been edited by Nemo (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old October 3, 2000, 01:02   #6
Par4
King

Local Time: 16:28
Yeah more power to the City view

OT orange remember back in the daze When we weren't corrupted by the OT
Old October 3, 2000, 01:37   #7
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:28
Good to see you Par4 in Civ3 again - and I have to say, *sigh*, that I too, have joined the ranks of OT...

I was just thinking that if the city view of Civ2 was so bad despite the system requirements, then maybe having a good city view will take too much processing power - "requires GeForce 2 or higher"...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 3, 2000, 17:53   #8
Shadowstrike
Emperor

What would be really neat would be to have the city view as an extreme zoom in of the entire map. When you click on a city, you should "zoom" into it. The city management should be super-imposed on it, and you can take away those screens to see your city. Furthermore, you should be able to see your citizens and the buildings should be time-appropriate, i.e. no skyscrapers in the Bronze Age, etc.
Old October 4, 2000, 17:47   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:28
Ehi, we have The coliseum at Rome today: is a bit ruined, but still exist, as many roman bridges, medieval castles and palaces and so on.

Why don't simply change a bit their picture into city view, just to reflect their older age?
We have to add a bit of "tradition feeling" into oldest cities, they aren't all "glass and steel", are they?

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
[This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited October 04, 2000).]
Old October 5, 2000, 00:31   #10
wernazuma

Yes, and the other way around no coliseums in the industrial age.

Old October 7, 2000, 21:41   #11
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:28
Yes, the city view should be as in the original, with roughly 4 different city plans
for each city as a choice.

Some improvements should have to be upgraded- i.e. colosseum, temple, cathedral into
Arcades, Sports Stadiums, Churches
Old October 15, 2000, 13:24   #12
red_jon
NationStates
King

The city view should be different for different nations- you don't see skyscrapers in London as large as they are in New York, and you don't see medieval buildings in Sydney.

The main problem with the view in Civ2 was that skyscrapers/ larger buildings never appeared- the largest you could get were single family homes!

Also, perhaps you could choose where an improvement went on the city view screen?
Old October 15, 2000, 15:05   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

There's my point. Cities are pretty drab and nodescript from one to another in Civ2 (they looked all the same) but cities are supposed to be vibrant places. Make each and every city distinct! That's the way it is. The City Screen in Civ 1 did that. Every city was (rather cartoonishly) portrayed as different. The improvements moved around, and you could see a new one being added every time. It gave you the sense that you were actually building a civilization one building at a time.
Old October 15, 2000, 19:39   #14
Dom Pedro II
King

I assume that you guys are not talking about the city screen where you make changes in production, placement of labor, etc. You're talking about that screen when you built cities, built wonders and improvements, and invaded cities, right? I have to say that I do miss it. It was fun. I think it should be back in the game too. And it would be nice to have something different for each city and definitely different for each civ.

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Dom Pedro II.... aka Hannibal3
Old October 20, 2000, 16:14   #15
Builder

yeah, I miss the old Civ1...

it was great, made me feel like i'm really there...