Old January 16, 2002, 10:54   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 19:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Mod With No Name - Alpha
Coming soon....watch this thread for the file attachment!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2002, 12:58   #2
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 14:24
Jeeze, I've been watching this thread for the last hour. Actually, just kidding, I'm patient (ly waiting that is).
Old January 16, 2002, 13:45   #3
Sevorak
Warlord

The mod with no name Alpha:

Firstly: the list of changes (nonamechanges.txt) isn't very accurate. I suggest you play the game to discover the changes. I tried to fix it up best I could, but there are bound to be inaccuracies.

Secondly: Please post all bug reports here on Apolyton, not on the Portal forums. Don't PM me. With the scale of the changes, I may have made some pretty serious errors (example: I just caught the fact that I hadn't changed Amp War's prereq about a minute ago), so report as soon as possible.

Thirdly: Read the entire readme, or, if you know how to install it, at least the five important points at the end.
Here goes.

-Sev

EDIT: Crash located and fixed. Redownload noname1a.zip.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noname1a.zip (479.0 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by Sevorak; January 16, 2002 at 23:38.
Sevorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2002, 14:28   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

WhooooHooooo! Master Sev, you are THE MAN! I'm now counting down the hours till I get home and can try her out!

-=Vel=-
(who is suddenly jealous of everyone who can test it NOW! LOL)
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old January 16, 2002, 14:48   #5
Velociryx
staff

LOL @ the new Civlopedia Entries! Those rock, dude! 'specially the ones for Light Tank and Horseless Bas...er...Man At Arms....

-=Vel=-
Old January 16, 2002, 16:26   #6
Sevorak
Warlord

Shhh...I want people to discover those for themselves...

-Sev
Old January 16, 2002, 16:33   #7
David Weldon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:24
Problems Downloading...
I'm unable to download the .zip file successfully. Actually I had the same problem trying to get Aussie_Lurker's file as well. The problem is that the downloaded file isn't as big as the file is supposed to be. I only get 478K of 479K. Then I can't open the archive because it doesn't recognize the file type. With Aussie's stuff I only got about 200K of 400K, so I know it's not just a rounding error.

Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong?
Experience to extremes" -RUSH 'The Enemy Within'
David Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2002, 16:46   #8
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 20:24
When I played my first game with the mod the game crashed the turn after I had had diplomatic contact with the Russians...
And the Interceptor fighter doesn't have any civilopedia graphic...

Just wanted to let you know!

The mod looks cool though!
Old January 16, 2002, 16:56   #9
Sevorak
Warlord

Just fixed the civilopedia icon error.

It'll be posted in a few hours after I pick up a few more bug reports.

For now, add the lines

#ICON_PRTO_Interceptor_Fighter
art\civilopedia\icons\units\44JetFighterlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\44JetFightersmall.pcx

to the end of the units entry in PediaIcons.txt.

As for the crash, do you have any idea how that occurred? What time was it around (i.e., approximately what kinds of units would be built?) I'm fairly positive that only viewing Warrior Code in the Civilopedia will crash the game, but if there's another problem it has to be the units.

I will be watching this thread the whole day, so feel free to post often.

-Sev
Old January 16, 2002, 18:01   #10
Gutz
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:24
I once had the same download probelm for the lwc mod. Once the file is downloaded to your computer, rename it to anything.zip (i would recomend modwithnoname.zip) and from there you should be able to unzip it as normal.
Old January 16, 2002, 20:15   #11
Sevorak
Warlord

This possible crash is driving me crazy. I've been in and out of the files all day and I still can't figure out what's going wrong, if anything. If anyone experiences a crash, I want details!

Let me say, though, that 90% of crashes will definitely be people making spelling errors in renaming their copied folders (i.e. Guerrilla - two r's and two l's, NOT any other spelling) or not renaming the .INI files inside the copied folders. THESE MUST BE DONE or you'll crash into the wall harder than a frenzied yak. Remember - properly spelled renamed folders, properly spelled renamed INI files.

-Sev
Old January 16, 2002, 23:39   #12
Sevorak
Warlord

Found and fixed a crash. Dunno if it's the one that was talked about, but I do feel much better now. If two hours of agonizing doesn't get it, try three more

My initial post has been edited with a new attachment to reflect it.

-Sev
Old January 17, 2002, 08:04   #13
ChrisShaffer
Prince

What changes were made in your fix? Could you perhaps number the versions of the mod - i.e. the first one was 1.0, the second is 1.1 (or 1.01), etc?

Instructions on installing just the fixed files would help. It took me 20 minutes to install the mod in the first place, I don't think I want to reinstall the whole thing if you just changed one or two files.

And, btw, I would much prefer a huge download with all the new unit folders and such in the future. It might take longer to download, but it's worth it as I can do other things during the download. Perhaps you could provide two versions, small and large?

Last edited by ChrisShaffer; January 17, 2002 at 08:52.
ChrisShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 08:36   #14
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Coracle bug
Installed the mod. Everything works fine. Verified the Warrior Code bug. Checked out the civiliopedia for the new units. Neat.

Then, started a game as the Iroquois. No Coracle. I did see an Oasis - neat. Started another game as America. Still no Coracle. Sigh. It is nice to be able to build Coracles, but I thought I was supposed to start with one?
Old January 17, 2002, 09:03   #15
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Also started a game where the Iroquois were landlocked. The Coracle was useless until well after Galleys were available.
Old January 17, 2002, 12:05   #16
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Chris,

You should not start with a coracle unit (like the scout), but you should have the ability to build one immediately if you are on the coast.

Sorry Guys, did not get a chance to try the mod myself last night. The wife made me take her out to dinner. Doesn't she understand that me want to play!
Old January 17, 2002, 12:22   #17
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
You should not start with a coracle unit (like the scout), but you should have the ability to build one immediately if you are on the coast.
According to nonamechanges.txt, Expansionists: Get the Coracle at game start, cos we'll set it to have a pre-req of Pottery. 0/0/2 Carries 1 unit, coastal ship only.

Perhaps I misread this, or misread the previous discussions about the Coracle, but I was pretty sure that Expansionist civs were supposed to start with a Coracle unit, just like the Scout.

I've gone into the editor and discovered that you can't give civs extra starting units. Sigh.

I also learned that the Coracle can only be built by the five expansionist civilization, which is nice. It will surely give them a boost in early exploration and contact. I would argue in favor of the Coracle having "sink in sea" unchecked and only "sink in ocean" checked - to give it a slightly greater range.

Last edited by ChrisShaffer; January 17, 2002 at 12:56.
Old January 17, 2002, 12:40   #18
ChrisShaffer
Prince

sigh - saved games crash
I've just realized I won't be able to load savegames created with unmodded Civ3, so I can't really compare/contrast by playing stretches of the game with one, then switching to the other. Nor can I start a game with unmodded Civ3, then reload the 4000 BC with this mod to see the differences.
Old January 17, 2002, 12:52   #19
ChrisShaffer
Prince

What a disappointment to research Animal Husbandry and find that there are no cows on my entire continent!
Old January 17, 2002, 15:28   #20
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 20:24
EDIT: Oops. Fixed now. I hadn't unzipped it correctly... When I unzipped I made one of those "Check Out" folders, but they where only cpies so when I started the game it could only see the shortcuts but not the files (wich were in the zip).

Sorry. Me dumb...

The mod looks excelent! Escpecially the Attack Chopper! You should use more of the already-made unit graphics, they look great! Keep on the great work!

Last edited by hetairoi22; January 17, 2002 at 15:56.
hetairoi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 15:57   #21
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hey, don't know if this is the problem or not but looked in the pediaicons.txt file and noticed that the pointer to the picture may be misspelled (unless the graphic is also misspelled; don;t have the game here at work to check). If you look under the
#start resources section and go down to saltpeter, you will see that both the icon pointers are misspelled saltpetre (with the last e and r reversed). I bet the fix would be to correct the spelling, or verify the spelling of the graphic. No telling what the program will do when it cannot find the graphic that it is looking for.
Old January 17, 2002, 16:05   #22
Sevorak
Warlord

hetairoi,

Good to see it all worked out. Check out BlueO's thread on the Files forum for more of his work. I agree, he did a great job on the Attack Chopper.

RPM,

In fact, the graphics are spelled "saltpetrelarge" and "saltpetresmall". British spelling.

Some of the names are less intuitive than you might expect: "shermantank" for the Tank unit and "galley(trireme)" for the Galley.

-Sev
Old January 17, 2002, 16:09   #23
Sevorak
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisShaffer
Instructions on installing just the fixed files would help. It took me 20 minutes to install the mod in the first place, I don't think I want to reinstall the whole thing if you just changed one or two files.
The only altered files were civ3mod.bic and PediaIcons.txt. Replace those and nothing else is needed. I'll clarify in the future what I've changed.

Quote:
And, btw, I would much prefer a huge download with all the new unit folders and such in the future. It might take longer to download, but it's worth it as I can do other things during the download. Perhaps you could provide two versions, small and large?
If there's enough demand for it.

-Sev
Old January 17, 2002, 16:36   #24
Velociryx
staff

'bout the Coracle: That was my bad....the wording should be that Expansionist civs have access to that unit immediately (since they start with pottery).

Sorry for the confusion all!

-=Vel=-
PS: Sev....what can I say but....it rocks! I'm LOVIN' it! Had to stay pretty late at work last night, so I didn't get too far, and I'll prolly restart tonight and play til sunup....
Old January 17, 2002, 17:12   #25
Sevorak
Warlord

Actually, the Coracle is only available to Expansionists, to prevent people from undoing the Expansionist advantage just by tapping a hut for Pottery.

Post bug reports immediately - I don't believe I could have only made two mistakes, so I'm still watching this thread closely.

-Sev
Old January 17, 2002, 21:22   #26
Thoth
King

Local Time: 15:24
I'm up to 400 AD, no crashes yet. So far it's a great deal of fun, with one exception: gold rushbuying. At 8:1 early Republics and Monarchys are much less desireable than Despotism. I think this should be reset to 4:1. We can adjust the costs of late game units/improvements if necessary to balance out the Industrial/Modern eras.
Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 21:46   #27
ChrisShaffer
Prince

How about 4:1 the entire game?
Old January 18, 2002, 11:11   #28
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Minor bug - the Civilopedia entry for Highwayman does not say that the unit treats all terrain as roads (as the Explorer does).

Those barbarians really are terrifying now. The privateers are almost broken. Really impeding my ability to send out exploring Coracles and Galleys. I like it.
Old January 18, 2002, 12:05   #29
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Another bug - Frigate has been moved to Nautical Tradition, which makes it available at the beginning of the Middle Ages. The English Man-o-War, which is a Frigate upgrade, is still linked to Magnetism at the end of the Middle Ages. Quite a drawback for an already questionable special unit.
Old January 18, 2002, 15:11   #30
Sevorak
Warlord

Thanks, Chris. Got 'em. Download and replace these two files to fix it.

-Sev
Attached Files:
File Type: zip noname1b.zip (157.9 KB, 93 views)