Old January 17, 2002, 03:14   #1
BlueO
Warlord

Local Time: 11:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
GFX: new road/rails tiles
Okay, gonna try again to post this. New road/rails graphics! This graphic set simulates the city sprawl.

The roads have slight changes to it, not a big deal, but I included it anyways.

The rails now has urban buildings on them, espeically on the 8-intersection rail tiles. What does this mean? Urban sprawl! Ever viewed simcity from the maximum zoom? Well, that's what it'll look like on your little civ3 worlds. At a glance, you can easily tell a totally developed nation versus a undeveloped one. I wished the civ3 team had implmented their own version of city sprawl, but oh well, this is as good as it'll get.

Enjoy!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip roadrail.zip (433.4 KB, 2449 views)
BlueO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 05:30   #2
BlueO
Warlord

Behold!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-2.gif
Views:	7313
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	8687  
Old January 17, 2002, 14:10   #3
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 13:27
That looks pretty freakin cool man! I was just about to try this with my thin roads graphic, but me no have no time...

GOOD JOB!
Old January 17, 2002, 19:29   #4
Jer8m8
Warlord

Local Time: 14:27
what's the pentagon doing north of your city?

But actually, if you put it there, it's a good idea-we can finally put wonders on the map!
Jer8m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2002, 22:14   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Re: GFX: new road/rails tiles
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueO
Okay, gonna try again to post this. New road/rails graphics! This graphic set simulates the city sprawl.

The roads have slight changes to it, not a big deal, but I included it anyways.

The rails now has urban buildings on them, espeically on the 8-intersection rail tiles. What does this mean? Urban sprawl! Ever viewed simcity from the maximum zoom? Well, that's what it'll look like on your little civ3 worlds. At a glance, you can easily tell a totally developed nation versus a undeveloped one. I wished the civ3 team had implmented their own version of city sprawl, but oh well, this is as good as it'll get.

Enjoy!
Nice job! I'd definitely prefer to look at that as opposed to those ugly railroads every where! Good work!
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2002, 03:24   #6
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 13:27
I imagine the Pentagons in the screenshot are either forts or one of the rail tile graphics...
Old January 18, 2002, 04:38   #7
Captain
King

ew!
in that case, I'd rather not RR anything but the immediate area around my city centre.

but it's kind of cool. definitely reflects urban sprawl!
nice work, though it hurts my eyes if I look at it too long (then again, that bright blue firaxis sea also does that... maybe i have some visual impairment?)

what gives with that pentagon? putting wonders on the map seems like a really really good idea!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2002, 05:11   #8
BlueO
Warlord

You guys also missed the UN buliding. As well as the pyramid, though, you can't see it because its being covered by the pollution at the moment.

I have to admit, the urban buildings do look strangly cluttered at first. You can't see what's underneath the buildings...like a missing irrigation spot or something. But, I only build massive rails immediately around my cities, so the urban sprawl reflects perfectly. And the single line rails connecting the cities is still uncluttered, and looks pretty cool. The CIV3 rails set is pretty good actually, when they aren't been overbuilt. Too bad, the AI never stops buildings rails, and their whole land will eventually become a messy urban wasteland. Sorry Captain, but I'm afraid your eyes might explode, if you ever see the AI's version of urban sprawl.
Old January 18, 2002, 09:16   #9
soufie77
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:27
You know, BlueO...

That is a stroke of genius. I am truly impressed and ashamed I didn't think of it first. This concept reflects the gradual urbanisation of cities as they spread towards the periphery. Truely inspired stuff, I take my hat off to you.

I just have one request, and it's for you to make them less like inner urban areas but more like suburban regions. That would be more reflective of reality, and it would probably be easier on the eyes. I'm downloading the mod now. Can't wait to try it out.
soufie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2002, 12:40   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by soufie77
You know, BlueO...

That is a stroke of genius. I am truly impressed and ashamed I didn't think of it first. This concept reflects the gradual urbanisation of cities as they spread towards the periphery. Truely inspired stuff, I take my hat off to you.

I just have one request, and it's for you to make them less like inner urban areas but more like suburban regions. That would be more reflective of reality, and it would probably be easier on the eyes. I'm downloading the mod now. Can't wait to try it out.
Agreed. If you could tone it down a notch and show a bit of the farmland as well as the urban sprawl it would be great. After all, one square represents a lot of land, and you wouldn't see skyscrapers for hundreds of miles. Maybe even make it more of an outlying village thing. BTW, will it show up in the city view like this as well? If so, it might make rather hard to know what's underneath the graphic. I hope you decide to work on it since I would dearly love to have an alternative to the railroads. But this particular graphic might be a bit much for me. Keep up the good work.
Old January 18, 2002, 19:22   #11
BlueO
Warlord

Actually, I thought about that, toward the end. But by that time, I've already filled most of the tiles with skyscrapers. Hmm, maybe I'll redo it again some other time, with suburban buildings for the outlying areas. But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.
Old January 18, 2002, 20:09   #12
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Actually, I thought about that, toward the end. But by that time, I've already filled most of the tiles with skyscrapers. Hmm, maybe I'll redo it again some other time, with suburban buildings for the outlying areas. But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.
Hey, don't give up now! I speak on behalf of all those players that despise the current railway graphics, "We want you to continue!! Please give us something that we can enjoy looking at for hours at a time!!" The fate of the Civ world rests in your hands.
Old January 19, 2002, 04:34   #13
Chuckles
King

Where did you get your cool irrigation graphics from?
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2002, 09:07   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
But if someone else would like to take a shot at it, it would be great.
I thought about adding urban sprawl to one of my railroad version. Then I realised it was way above my copy-and-paste talents!!
I build railroads like the AI, im afraid, so this version would be the death of me!
Old January 19, 2002, 09:28   #15
Slartibartfast
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:27
Keep up the good work!
I tried the railways and roads, and like them much better than the original ones. Thanx! I agree with some of the others, though, could you (or someone else) please make the buildings smaller (so that they don't hide your cities) , and include a mix of suburbs, smaller cities etc.

Even more elegant would be to have different graphics in the industrial age and the modern age...
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2002, 09:32   #16
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Where did you get your cool irrigation graphics from?
They were done by Zeb_Fisher. You can find them in a thread called "New Terrain Graphics."
Old January 19, 2002, 09:39   #17
Willem
Emperor

Re: Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast

Even more elegant would be to have different graphics in the industrial age and the modern age...
I don't think that's possible, it can only be tied to the railroad graphics.
Old January 19, 2002, 18:56   #18
dannyevilcat
Chieftain

Why is it that when I download this file, it saves only as an "attachment" with no extension or anything? I really want to use this but so far I can't
dannyevilcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2002, 19:45   #19
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyevilcat
Why is it that when I download this file, it saves only as an "attachment" with no extension or anything? I really want to use this but so far I can't
There's some sort of glitch with the files since they've moved to this temporary server. Just add .zip on to the name (or rename it if you want) and it should be fine. Although I've read that occasionaly some files get corrupted for some reason. Ask Gramphos, he seems to know something about it.
Old January 21, 2002, 12:55   #20
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
To me it looks to much like chaos

But what about those wonders, how did you make them be outside the cities?
Old January 22, 2002, 01:43   #21
kittenOFchaos
Prince

This could lead to some very exciting changes to the face of civ3!!!

If the graphics were less scarey I'd take them on like a shot.

we could have them period based...(loading up like how we used to change graphics for winter in civ2 "The Third Reich" or mybe have a bat.file a'la "Red Front")...so like at the start of the industrial period that we have small outlying small hamlets, cool looking farms and inns and pubs! Then it progresses to mill towns, then starts to sprawl as time goes on!

Gosh...If I was good at art I'd be joining in...this could lead to some beautiful maps.

P.S is there a terrain editor to allow us to make loads more types of terrain...that way we can make REALLY good world maps.

GOOD JOB!

Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 22, 2002 at 01:49.
kittenOFchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2002, 01:46   #22
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Can someone upload this to civfanatics.com or e-mail me it at c.w.hutchinson@dur.ac.uk as I can't seem to download anything fully from apolyton FORUMS at the moment...
kittenOFchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2002, 05:32   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
*BUMP*
Old January 30, 2002, 09:15   #24
BlueO
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Its simple. Just paste one of the wonder pics into one of the rail tiles.
Old February 1, 2002, 16:46   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Its simple. Just paste one of the wonder pics into one of the rail tiles.
oh, ok, thx
Old February 11, 2002, 08:34   #26
kaigun
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010

great mod ..this mod and the Amazon units are by far the best Ive downloaded.The slow city sprawl is really atmospheric and brightens the map up a LOT .Small houses and a few farms I loved it till the railways came.Then it became a ugly but realistic blotch that consumed the screen.Love it or hate it cant decide which......is it possible to take out the sprawl or visually reduce it as said the atmosphere and imagery it creates in earlier periods is simply excellent.Hope its possible.
kaigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2002, 16:23   #27
BlueO
Warlord

Sorry, I have no plans to tone down the city sprawl graphics at the moment. I kinda like it the way it is, except for a few graphic glitches here and there. (buildings over the tile edge)

If anyone else would like to do it, its quite easy. Just cut and paste, and a bit of twitching to place the buildings just pixel right. Besides, I've moved on to Diablo2x graphic modding. I'm replacing the Assassin char right now, and its lotta fun. Can't wait until I finish and play the new assassin.
Old February 12, 2002, 21:40   #28
NeOmega
Prince

I did this for Civ 2, but I didn't have internet to post it. I made roads have little houses, and rails have buildings. The cool stuff happens during nuclear attack or pillaging, where the damage becomes apparent real fast. Maybe I'll work on one, althought his time there seems to be 4 times the road and rail tiles, and it was very tedious the first time doing it by hand.
NeOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2002, 01:40   #29
Shadow975
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

There's some sort of glitch with the files since they've moved to this temporary server. Just add .zip on to the name (or rename it if you want) and it should be fine. Although I've read that occasionaly some files get corrupted for some reason. Ask Gramphos, he seems to know something about it.

I think it has something to do with the way you download it. On my computer The "Save As Type" selection (at the bottom of the save dialog window) has 2 options one is Saving as Document and the other is save as All Files. I believe you should save it as all files and just give the name a .zip extension it should work fine then.
Old February 13, 2002, 02:44   #30
Mizaq
Prince

if you're having problems opening zip files after downloading them, check out this thread.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=39969
Mizaq is offline   Reply With Quote