Old October 18, 2000, 16:49   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unit Production
With all of the talk recently about units, I decided to bring up unit production. I've mentioned it here and there, but now I want to make it its own topic. In my opinion, I think units should be bought not produced.

The #1 reason I think this should be used is because I think its dumb that you have to wait 500 years to produce units in the early years. The #2 reason is that it's more realistic to have countries purchasing their units. Countries almost always contracted factories and corporations to produce weapons for them. Some countries have had the government producing weapons, but even then those weapons aren't free. Not to mention that this would stop the ridiculousness of having to "make" infantry units. Why should a factory affect the ability to produce a division of soldiers?

Under this plan, I think certain units should not be able to be produced without the proper industry. I think a factory should be required for a city to produce things like planes and tanks. This would prevent players from founding a tiny city on an enemy continent and buying up tons of weapons from that little city.

Also, the more industry a city has, the less it costs to produce the unit. For example, producing a tank could cost $500 with only one factory, but with four it would cost half that much or less. The only time this wouldn't be true is for infantry or cavalry units. Still, mobilization of troops costs money, and the cost would remain very much the same for all cities. Although maybe technologies affect the cost. Feudalism and Conscription could alter the costs of mobilization of cavalry or infantry units.

------------------
"...The highest realization of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans; next is to attack their alliances; next to attack their army; and the lowest is to attack their fortified cities." - Sun Tzu

Dom Pedro II.... aka Hannibal3

Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).
[This message has been edited by Dom Pedro II (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 21:49   #2
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
I say unit production should be empire wide - like public works in CTP (only much better )

I also agree with your Idea
Old October 18, 2000, 22:01   #3
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Why should a factory affect the ability to produce a division of soldiers?

Soldiers still need weapons, uniforms, helmets and other gear. factories can make this stuff faster than other ways. so factories should make unit production faster.

Further, you can buy units in civ2 if you have enough gold to buy out the production.
Old October 20, 2000, 16:32   #4
Dom Pedro II
King

*BUMP!*

Ok, maybe factories do provide supplies for troops more easily, but that really wasn't my point.

Yes, you CAN rush build units, but they are ridiculously expensive if you do this immediately. Just buying units is not the only reason I like this idea. I also think its good because then it only takes one turn to get a unit which is much more realistic. I mean any time it takes centuries to build a unit, something is wrong. And its not just about being ABLE to buy units, its about ONLY buying units. I just don't think the current method is realistic.

The other reason that I think that units should cost money is that it also makes a strong economy much more important. A poor country can not have a large military.
Old October 23, 2000, 01:00   #5
Tim White
Chieftain

Great Idea!!! I like the unit buying, instead of making. I especially like the idea of units can only be built with certain buildings. I also would like to see in civ3 that military units be taken out of the population, and the more the military, the more unhappy people there are. I mean, where do units come from in civ2, the air??