Old February 25, 2002, 23:00   #481
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 14:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Guess you haven't seen B5: Legend of the Rangers yet. The second ship is a Minbari Ranger ship, built 12 or so years before the Shadow War. Countrary to appearences, it is not organic.
Thats what happens when you don't have a TV available with Cable or Satellite or Digital and not being able to fit into the schedule of life Currently with my billeting family which as satellite, but all of the good channels are not available
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2002, 23:03   #482
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 15:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian

Thats what happens when you don't have a TV available with Cable or Satellite or Digital and not being able to fit into the schedule of life Currently with my billeting family which as satellite, but all of the good channels are not available
Pretty good flick.

...as Series Pilots go. Kicked the crap out of "The Gathering", that's for sure.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2002, 00:10   #483
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 09:29
saw every B5 episode there is....except Crusade, which I thought was fooey!

Legend o' da Rangers? Me saw, me like. Me like how evil look bad. Me like 'Turk' who is Drahzi strong-arm of crew. When he explain what his name mean, me laugh.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2002, 00:37   #484
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
saw every B5 episode there is....except Crusade, which I thought was fooey!

Yeah, well, I think Crusade was pretty damn good. The ship was kick ass, especially.

Now we have to wait for the LOTR series to find out about the Drakh plague....

Incidently, The Protectorate, in the next post or the one after, is going to bring up the new Flagship, the 2.6 km Victory. Has no Marines, is a strictly Space faring vessel.

Guess what it looks like.
Old February 26, 2002, 09:32   #485
Lonestar
inmate
King

Sovereign, this may be a case of the Pot complaining of the Kettle's complexition..or vice versa...I'm not too good with metaphors, but when you have a big confontation with my boys, CHECK IT OUT FIRST!

Second, You have somehow completely misread Protectorate culture. The Protectorate does not "broadcast" transmissions. No signals leave or enter the system except on narrow band frequencies aimed at the "Ansible" (the collection of Tachyon Transmission relays the Protectorate has established. The relays are 2 ft x 2ft, so don't waste your time trying to find them.).

A Culture built around isolation wouldn't be making transmissions capable of being heard from outside the solar system. Certainly not uncoded transmissions.

Thrid: Uncoded transmissions. It's astonishing that you would be able to find out we're Human and speak English, what our government does (as if that's a regular broadcast anyway. Except on PBS). Especially as all our transmissions that would be leaving system (hell, planet to ship or planet) are heavily encoded. Like, encoded as you need another machine at the end, and you need to know what pi to the 34th decimal has to do with it.

-----------------------------------------------

So, how do we fix this snafu? Well, you could have simply read the names off the hulls, less dramatic but you would have found out we were humans that way. ("San Jacinto...why the hell would aliens speak Spanish?")

I'll aknowledge you probaly have the ability to sneak into the Roving system...it's not devolped, doesn't have Gravity wells set up to yank in-coming ships into realspace. So, the actual sneaking in doesn't need to be fixed.

But you need to do something about those "Intercepted transmissions", pronto.

But good post besides the complete mess up of Protectorate Culture/Protocol. I, of course, would never create such a screw-up.
Old February 26, 2002, 10:43   #486
Sovereign
Prince

ack! Sorry about that... I thought I sent you a PM about that, guess it didn't go through

I was under the assumption that civilizations would have some sort of enterainment, like movies, holo-vids, radio, etc. and Magellan picked these everyday chatter of the Roving populace. Suppose aliens explored our solar system, discovered signals emanating from Earth, and read these tranmissions as these Satellite TV uplinks showing the 500 channels. The same idea applies to the movie CONTACT, or was it ARRIVAL where aliens recieved Hitler's speech and sent it back to Earth with instructions to build the ring structure to teleport the ship to the alien landscape.

I'm not saying I dechipered your military stuff or top secret stuff Lonestar, just your populace's chatter and enterainment, phone calls, radio chatter, intercontiental tachyon signals (remember UCS has tachyon tech), and various on-planet tranmissions, NOT interstellar (if thats what you're referring to).

How shall we proceed to fix up this fiasco? I'm willing to edit some content. Remember, this is my very first time doing this kind of story stuff, and you can be assured I'll know exactly what to do next time. Sorry about the fiasco
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2002, 11:00   #487
Mellian
Queen

Quote:

So, how do we fix this snafu? Well, you could have simply read the names off the hulls, less dramatic but you would have found out we were humans that way. ("San Jacinto...why the hell would aliens speak Spanish?")
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! the Spanish have survive the nuke bombarments in WW3 ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! wait, i wonder if they have tacos?

Quote:
I'll aknowledge you probaly have the ability to sneak into the Roving system...it's not devolped, doesn't have Gravity wells set up to yank in-coming ships into realspace. So, the actual sneaking in doesn't need to be fixed.
What have i told you about those Gravity Wells, hmm? If you still want them, just have them at the mostly likely entry points into the system from various nearby systems.... then after pulling them out of FTL (not like a magnet), the GravWell prevents them from jumping away.... but can try to out run the Protectorate ships and try to get out of range of the Grav Well, then Jump. They could also try to destroy the Gravwell Doubt the Grav well in powerful enough to act like a Star, which requires a lot of power to do that. So while covering the most like directions ships will come in from, ships that knows what they are doing will be able to sneak around them by jumping to the middle of nowhere and then jump towards a Protectorate system so, making it still nescessary for the Protectorate to patrol their entire system....and have ships at the GravWell locations............ Fine with you? GravWells help, but not the perfect solution.

Quote:
But good post besides the complete mess up of Protectorate Culture/Protocol. I, of course, would never create such a screw-up.
sure sure
Old February 26, 2002, 11:12   #488
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
I was under the assumption that civilizations would have some sort of enterainment, like movies, holo-vids, radio, etc. and Magellan picked these everyday chatter of the Roving populace. Suppose aliens explored our solar system, discovered signals emanating from Earth, and read these tranmissions as these Satellite TV uplinks showing the 500 channels. The same idea applies to the movie CONTACT, or was it ARRIVAL where aliens recieved Hitler's speech and sent it back to Earth with instructions to build the ring structure to teleport the ship to the alien landscape.
Never assume in BAC actually, don't make assumptions and act upon it without being sure. unless you absolutly have no choice to assume................. "Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups" -from a Steven Seagal movie. the hitler thing is from CONTACT...never saw ARRIVAL. Don't expect all societies to be like the Western Civilizations now...... Chiron would be like that before, but not as bad as Earth concerning radio signals and so on, especially when technology advances to the point where don't have to pollute space with "radio" waves, as future communications will be more focus i would think. And radio signals take a long time to get to places too....... the Protectorate is a Facist government (not to be confused with nazism) after all, and secretive........

Quote:
I'm not saying I dechipered your military stuff or top secret stuff Lonestar, just your populace's chatter and enterainment, phone calls, radio chatter, intercontiental tachyon signals (remember UCS has tachyon tech), and various on-planet tranmissions, NOT interstellar (if thats what you're referring to).
like above, future societies i would think will use something better then radio signals. Tachyon Signals would be more direct and focus, not echo and spread all over the place like Radio signals. Only way to intercept Tachyon signals if your in its way

Quote:
How shall we proceed to fix up this fiasco? I'm willing to edit some content. Remember, this is my very first time doing this kind of story stuff, and you can be assured I'll know exactly what to do next time. Sorry about the fiasco
It is okay

-LMP
Old February 26, 2002, 11:29   #489
Sovereign
Prince

guys...

I'd like to know what kind of tranmissions planetary populaces use in BAC's era. I'm sure scout ships or explorers in that era are able to detect general populace chatter whether it be radio, tachyon, PSI, etc. This is how first contact is usually made, to my knowledge, detect sufficient advancement and communications, and invesgiate the source... Thats what UCSS Magellan did, before it was chased away by the Procterate ship. Besides, Magellan was already surveying the system, scanning for all particle waves, emissions, planetary surfaces, and your general mapping stuff.

I could make it so that Magellan picked up a Procterate signal purely by luck, being in the right place at the right time, if signals are so difficult that scouts or explorers of BAC era cannot detect BAC era communications, which is a little silly. Every era had its own methods of communications AND ALSO methods for discovering communications.

Besides, information on Procterate's ships and nature has already been transmitted to Randius, as well as the position of Roving, so if Magellan IS destroyed, Randius will send a group of ships to invesigate. Either way, Procterate will be discovered by UCS.

My Brussard Ramscoops are much more advanced than they appear. They can decieve the enemy into thinking UCS ships are inferior then they get a nasty surprise coming for them. UCS Brussards can be used as weapons, and in addition, they are able to gather all known material from space, call it space dust or small micro meteorites, and stores them in the Resource Tanks for UCS field repair or extra energy. @ Lonestar
Old February 26, 2002, 12:28   #490
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign
guys...

I'd like to know what kind of tranmissions planetary populaces use in BAC's era. I'm sure scout ships or explorers in that era are able to detect general populace chatter whether it be radio, tachyon, PSI, etc. This is how first contact is usually made, to my knowledge, detect sufficient advancement and communications, and invesgiate the source... Thats what UCSS Magellan did, before it was chased away by the Procterate ship. Besides, Magellan was already surveying the system, scanning for all particle waves, emissions, planetary surfaces, and your general mapping stuff.
Well, ya see, nowadays we have these things called Satellites which eliminate the need for broadcast.

Again, As we want to remain unkown, even our commercial/entertainment shows would be sent on narrow band frequencies. (This is why SETI is a waste of money. The only damn way to hear them is if they point a radio telescope at us and fire.)

Quote:
I could make it so that Magellan picked up a Procterate signal purely by luck, being in the right place at the right time, if signals are so difficult that scouts or explorers of BAC era cannot detect BAC era communications, which is a little silly. Every era had its own methods of communications AND ALSO methods for discovering communications.
Well, here's the deal with Procterate "Ranging Ships"; They use High-powered Optical Telescopes to search for Habitable planets within 100 lys of where they are. (which is the absolute maximum of optical resolution). Obviously, if we see large amounts of green on a planet, we can assume it's chloropyhll and check it out.

Quote:
Besides, information on Procterate's ships and nature has already been transmitted to Randius, as well as the position of Roving, so if Magellan IS destroyed, Randius will send a group of ships to invesigate. Either way, Procterate will be discovered by UCS.
Oh-ho? Did you read the early Roving post? Most of the ships there have older Ceramic/metal alloy "smart Materials" hulls, so when/if you run up to a Protectorate mainline Battleship, it will be a big surprise on your part.

Quote:
My Brussard Ramscoops are much more advanced than they appear. They can decieve the enemy into thinking UCS ships are inferior then they get a nasty surprise coming for them. UCS Brussards can be used as weapons, and in addition, they are able to gather all known material from space, call it space dust or small micro meteorites, and stores them in the Resource Tanks for UCS field repair or extra energy. @ Lonestar
Bah. Primative and cumbersome. No sir, Matter/Antimatter reactors for us!
Old February 26, 2002, 12:49   #491
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
guys...
Oh my goodness Sovereign, i just finish reading your military post in the Datalinks and now this one..... your all over the place man Need to focus and not to depend so much on other sci-fi ships.... will reply the stuff in this post and then state my comments concerning your post in the datalinks....

Quote:
I haven't read your story post yet, but should First, don't base your first contacts like an alien maybe would when discovering humanity due to the modern days radio waves and so on on all over the place. Not all factions are Communication maniacs....... only place with the most back and forth communications is in Sol, a heavily populated system with multiple factions living in. As for Chiron factions, they weren't as bad do to some discipline and the advancements of Planetary Datalink Networks and so on.... and finding alternatives after defeating the Proginators, to avoid attract more of them to Chiron, just incase. depends on a Society really..... FTL Communication was invented by the Cyborgs, which is generally Tachyon Communications, which they gave to all factions and later on to the Terrans. Will state the effects of Tachyon Communications later in the Datalinks... tachyon isn't as wide band and polluting as radio waves all over the place. BAC Chironians would generally use focus Datalink communications for Planetary and local communications, and depending on the faction (like the Hive, Protectorate and so on), they will be strict on the use of Tachyon Communications and wide band base planetary communications. So an alien or whoever as an higher chance discoving the Drones, Morganites and Peacekeepers then the Hive, Protectorate, Spartans and so on by trying to tract down tachyon signals, which is focus unlike radio signals. Tachyon Communications isn't good enough for inter-system wide constant Datalink networks and system wide ones needs Tachyon Comm arrays.....and Tachyon Comm arrays are need for inter-system communications. ONLY the cyborgs is rumoured to have an better alternative to Tachyon Communications (Subpace or Hyperspace or maybe Quantum base Communications....using the MOO2 tech tree here), as their Consciousness Network seem to be constant..... Cyborgs also rumoured to be spying on Tachyon Communications......as they ARE the Communications experts in Human Space it seems... they also act like Comstar in battletech, where they have Tachyon Arrays and tachyon Comm Centers all over friendly human space. another thing, University may be advance, but doesn't mean they are advance in all fields of technologies. There is no set tech tree in BAC, but we do generally refer....atleast I... to SMAC and MOO2 tech trees...and the MOO3 tech tree concepts of Fields and Applications of technologies. Another thing, there is such thing as pulsars and so on making Tachyon singals all over the place, as well with radio waves, which as no sense to it..........

Quote:
they can, if they have good sensors........ but we are also talking about the Protectorate who is secretive and would be strick about outbound tachyon comms....reserving it strickly to their military/government. If on the other hand you were looking for the Morganites, if you weren't already in contact with, you would have easier time discovering them base on their tachyon comm signals which are use by the public, military, government, workers, etc..... but they are still no wide band as radio, where can detect anywhere and tachyon signals is FTL base.... so tachyon signals would be hard to catch

Quote:
May know what one Protectorate ship looks like, with basic scans of a Protectorate ship, but have trouble scanning their ships internals.

Quote:
I suggest you avoid getting to much into Startrek....as BAC is pretty much, anti-trek. Can get ideas, but to base any technologies on Startrek techs is a no no. Just call them Ramscoops as Bussard is the guy who created it in Startrek, and Univerisity is the only one currently using them......the Pirates is too mainly for extra antimatter fuel to power thier FTLs, so Pirate ships can have incredible range and stay in space forever..... but can get into a situation where they FTL more often then they can produce a bit of extra energy power. Can also gather some resources, but not much unless you have big ramscoops and go into nebulas or gas giants to gather gases and so on.... som energy ramscoop produces can be put to weapons, but cannot be use like weapons or whatever liek Startrek

As for your ships listed in the Datalinks thread....... avoid Federation starship designs..... don't need "warp nacelles" for BAC FTL travel and federation ships are designed with so many weak points because the assume their all powerful shields will protect the ship, where in basic simple BAC shields are crappy against most BAC weapons....have good armor and point defence systems/grids as more chances of protecting the ship then shields. don't go overboard with the Neutronium Armor and don't make so powerful....stronger then the average chironian armor yes, but not almost invincible to the point they can survive multiple Yamato shots and Ion Beam Cannons shots (Ion Beams are not meant for instant kills, just causes a lot of damage like carving ships up, punching through big holes, etc and big crater marks on Neutronium Armor ships. Try to be constant with ship design styles, then having all sort of different styles from Federation to Adromoda to Protoss and etc... can have good looking ships, but dont make it federation like....it is oversilly and easy to destroy due to weak points in BAC. Don't have to describe the looks of all the ships too or have pictures for all of them. As for styles, avoid getting to high tech looking like Adromoda and the Protoss ships.....even if University is concidered more advance then the average Chironian Faction.... don't forget the Cyborgs now, they higher research stats then university in SMAX

-LMP
Old February 26, 2002, 12:54   #492
Mellian
Queen

Like Lonestar says, there is such thing as Satellites, Comm Relays, Comm Arrays and so on, eliminating the need for wide band broadcast........ and then there is Tachyon Communications, replacing radio which is way to slow.
Old February 26, 2002, 13:38   #493
Sovereign
Prince

man, thanks for all the feedback.

Should you suggest I drop Star Trek ships except for Promethus, and use Einstein, Omega, Galileo, Enterprise, and Darwin classes instead?

My understanding is that aircraft carriers can take quite some damage, if I remember right, USS Enterprise or another carrier in WW2 took several kamikaze hits and wasn't sunk. They were able to patch it up. I'm trying to apply this concept to carriers in space. Should I keep the Protoss carriers, since it has better hull design than Star Trek ships?

In addition, two federation ship stands out for BAC style of war. The Defiant has a sturdy structure, without saucers and swept nacelles. It's a ship with two decks, a ship built for both shielded and shield-less combat. Another ship is the Promethus. It has an arrow shape, has a solid build without obvious weak points, and is able to do multiple vectors (which can be attained with Pre-Sentient Algortihms. However, to keep it fair, only one will be in service at the time of the story, the prototype itself. Regular Promethus vessels would be in service in maybe 50 years after the story, so it's one-of-a-kind during the story period.

To be honest, I suck at creativity for ship specifications and thats why I had to borrow a lot of other sci-fi ships. Its ironic though, I'm pretty creative with stories and events, but not specifications or what ships should be

For communications, I don't want to flame or upset anyone, but surely there would be communications between colonists, and Magellan picks these communications up. Magellan does not pick up the other communications such as military or off-planet communications.

If that communication thing does not work, then what would you suggest for the Magellan to detect Procterate civilization? I'd like to have that as a good spring-off board so that UCS would have a violent contact with Procterate, setting off a cold war between the two equal technological factions.

I had no idea my story was that whacked out of phase

LMP, I'll go revise my shipfleet, and eliminate almost 3/4 of my ships
Old February 26, 2002, 17:46   #494
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:29
Stop talking about seeing something else then the original B5, not to mention cable or sat channels.
*sulks in the corner*

Quote:
man, thanks for all the feedback.

Should you suggest I drop Star Trek ships except for Promethus, and use Einstein, Omega, Galileo, Enterprise, and Darwin classes instead?
I saw this coming. I wonder what I should name the Terran science ships... Excerpt from my to-be modified future update on mah BAC-site - feel free to take them, think of this as a gift, albeit the names aren't too imaginitive :

Quote:

Ships and fields of research:

CRS Fernando Magalhaes - Deep space exploration
CRS Nicholas Copernicus - Astronomy and Cometology
CRS Vasco da Gama - Stellar cartography

Discovery class
CRS Albert Einstein - Astrophysics
CRS Marie Curie - General Physics
CRS Niels Bohr - Sub-Atomic Mechanics
CRS Stephen Hawking - Cosmology

Enterprise class
CRS Florence Nightingale - Medical Science
CRS Louis Pasteur - Chemistry
CRS Sir Charles Darwin - Biology and physiology
CRS Sir Isaac Newton - Gravitational Physics
But I would like to have dibs on the two Xperimental ships;

Quote:
Strider class
CXS Legacy - Superluminal Drive Mechanics
CXS Nautilus - Sublight Propulsion Mechanics

Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 26, 2002 at 18:06.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2002, 18:38   #495
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 19:29
Sorry I been busy, I probley won't be able to post untill the weekend.
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2002, 18:43   #496
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

So the University finally shows up!

I think that the post was done rather well. Since the University is supposed to be the most technologically superior faction in BAC, it might be that the Magellan could have very sophisticated communication systems installed. Maybe that's how they picked up on Protectorate 'background' transmissions.

Lonestar: Hold off destroying the ship until Hive ships arrive! Since they are 9 ly's away from LP 658-2, I think the Hive station will be able to intercept the University's distress call. Not going to have a Protectorate-Hive war start just yet though...gotta build up the drama.

Last edited by Frankychan; February 26, 2002 at 19:04.
Old February 26, 2002, 23:24   #497
Lonestar
inmate
King

I promise all of you, I shall not destroy the Magellen.

Capture it? Yes. Strip it down? Yes. Send the crew to a "Burnell Village" where we can practice fighting them? Almost certainly.

If you want, one of the last statements in my post can be "Sir, Hive vessels incoming...", right before we activate our stardrive and enter Null-Space. Hauling the battered Magellen, of course.
Old February 27, 2002, 00:12   #498
Mellian
Queen

Okay, since we are having discussion about Tachyon Communications, which i say is BAC's FTL Communication because tachyon comm as being use by many sci-fis and there is useful theories by Einstein and so on about tachyons. So i went exploring for information on tachyon communication on google.... so here is some snippets of information i got on tachyon communications.............

tachyon comm info snippets

Radio communication has been replaced by tachyon communication. This is instantaneous across any interstellar distance.

StellarCom - Communications system used for sending long range messages through tachyon signals from solar system to solar system.

Tachyon - Theoretical particle capable of traveling faster than light. Tachyons are the mainstay of faster than light sensors and communication systems.

Tachyon Communication - Means of real-time communication signals over the span of many light years. No lag time was ever seen by any race, using Tachyon Communications.

Tachyon communication is a recent discovery. Tachyons travel at extremely fast speeds, and reach their destination almost instantly, but the signal degrades very rapidly, making it almost impossible to get a signal farther than a fraction of a parsec. To transmit messages long distances, the Interstellar Communications Network (ICNet, "Icenet") was constructed connecting the more highly populated worlds. This is a series of tachyon transmitters which relay signals picked up from one transmitter onto the next. In this way, planets which are a part of the net get virtually instantaneous communication with all other planets. Transceivers on the fringes of the net are equipped with hyperwave transceivers to allow communication between the net and those outside it. Also, a starship which is close enough to a transmitter (which is anywhere, if it is inside the space the network covers), can send and receive signals normally.

Tachyons are particles which travels faster than light. According to Einstein's equations of special relativity, a particle with an rest mass and a velocity greater than c (speed of light or 300,000 Km/s) would have a real momentum and energy. Ironically, the greater the kinetic energy of a tachyon, the slower it travels, approaching c asymptotically (from above) as its energy approaches infinity. Alternatively, a tachyon losing kinetic energy travels faster and faster, until as the kinetic energy approaches zero, the speed of the tachyon approaches infinity; such a tachyon with zero energy and infinite speed is called transcendent. Tachyons travels around 100 c with the current technology.
Tachyon particles were first detected in the early 21st century. Within 30 years Tachyons were being used to send information at speeds at about 100 c.

opinions and ideas:

As far as i am concern, you cannot detect background tachyon echoes, so hoot no way Magellan can detect focus tachyon signal without being in the right place to intercept. Tachyon signals do go in FTL speeds and can easily bypass a ship...and it does degrades the further it gets. Knowing the protectorate, they wouldn't allow people to simply use the tachyon comm in broadbands... and makes lot more sense for Planetary bound communications to be direct links by data networks and bouncing focus comm signals off Satellites.... to focus to detect and besides, if it is focus only to reach the Satellite, won't go further then that. For Sovereign's post, Magellan will be very lucky to intercept a protectorate tachyon comm signal, yet encrypted. , with their tachyon sensors. Lets say the comm signal was ment for a protectorate agent, which University will not know as it is way to encrypted and low powered to find out.... so Magellan detects it at a nearby system where it was surveying and exploring... then, by figuring out what direction the signal was going too, the Magellan it is towards a nearby star and FTL jumps to it..... when getting there, starts getting hunted down by protectorate ships.......... then Magellan does a broadband tachyon comm distress call, so any ships with tachyon sensors within certain amount of lightyears gets it.... in some cases, can so a Cone effect with tachyon signals, to focus more in one paticular area.

the different applications using Tachyons in BAC would be:

Tachyon Communication - tachyon comm signals degrades the further it goes, so there is a limiting range and disallow for a constant inter-system Datalinks/Grid Network. So it is required to have Tachyon Comm Arrays and Satellites all over the place, establishing a tachyon comm network... Each faction would have their own comm networks i would think.... but the Cyborgs maintain a Public one, where all factions can use. Cyborgs also have a nack with tachyon communications, and since they are litterally everywhere with their Comm Arrays/Stations and Comm Centers, they can easily intercept signals all over the place and literally passively spy on other Factions. Focus tachyon signals are harder to intercept then broader signals. tachyons comms is mainly use for communicating in large distances, not on planets.

Tachyon Sensors/Detectors - most commonly use to detect cloak ships and intercepting tachyon signals. can also be use for other scanning stuff. tachyon detectors are solely ment for detecting Cloak ships and intercepting signals where sensors are less focus on detecting and use to mainly for scanning.

Tachyon Buoys - Buoys are commonly use by ships to lock on and FTL to it, making safer to literally FTL to a system "blind", especially when you don't much sensor data on a system. Buoys are also use to for transmitting broadband short range messages...usually to warn off or make the listener aware of a danger and so on.

Tachyon Bolt - base on Einsteins theory, more power you put into a tachyon, the slower it gets.... even if it gets slower, can use tachyons as a weapon. Tachyon Beams is possible, but requires more power to keep it the beam constant, even temporally, so making it slower and useless, and less damage then a Bolt of tachyon energy. Only University is knowns to use tachyon bolt weaponry so far in human space.

So now, is everyone clear about tachyon communication and its possible uses base on the info snippets above?

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 00:46   #499
Mellian
Queen

[QUOTE] I saw this coming. I wonder what I should name the Terran science ships... Excerpt from my to-be modified future update on mah BAC-site - feel free to take them, think of this as a gift, albeit the names aren't too imaginitive :
[quote]

yes, University can do that, name their ships of famous scientists, philosophers, theorists and etc from past to present real life reality and to fiction future from 2002 to 2700 also name university ships with scientific/tech names like tachyon, antimatter, photon, atom, algorithm, hyperwave, admantium, neutronium, silver, gold, bronze, quantum, fusion, fission, laser, etc.....

As for ship styles and ship uses..... start with the ship sizes and then figure out how you want University's military to operate....University Military can have the reputation in human space for being unorthodox, oddballs, weird, and overlly silly Then think up various kinds of ships for various roles in University's military. then figure out a ship style, which would be general common among Univ ships while making sure a ship design and specs allows the ship to achieve it's role(s). If you want to borrow ship designs from other sci-fi universes, make sure it fits in your ship design styles you want for university ships and how that borrow design would work out in their given roles. Do realize, many ship designs from other sci-fis are base on ship styles the society likes, how their military is like and how ships are use... in Startrek, ships depend way more on Shields then Armor as shields are quite powerful enough, allowing to make fancy looking ships, which usually have a lot of weak points you can easily blow off. All of the Federation ships are under 1000meters long too. Warp nacelles are base on using Warp as their FTL. Defiant is generally a oversize fighter, with very fast STL drives, Impulse engines... allow it to travel from earth to pluto in 5-20 minutes. In BAC, shields are crap and mainly only use to protect a ship from small meteorites, radiation and so on. So BAC ships depends more on Armor and Point Defence Grids for protection. BAC ships are also design in such ways not to allow 'weak' points and not allow the enemy know where the bridge is and open to be nock out pretty easily. The fastest STL drives would take a couple days to get from Earth to pluto, so no fast ships like the Defiant or the Andromoda (1.7km long i think, with a very fast STL speeds, like 70% of Light Speed.... pretty fast for a large capital ship, that like big arse fighter surprising that an advance ship like that uses missiles and so on as weapons ). BAC ships don't need naccelles for 'Quantum Tunneling' FTL , and ramscoops don't depend on nacelles either.

so, understand where i am going with this? if you have creativity and an imagination for something, you have a good imagination for everything.

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 02:40   #500
Sovereign
Prince

Hmm...

LMP how would a Defiant style of ship with toned down speed sound? Replace the Defiant's engines with BAC's engines and it'll make a good University destroyer, with solid build and good weapon ratios.

As for the Promethus, that would be one of my two secret projects. A multi-purpose dreadnought, has solid build like the Defiant without fancy shapes or saucers, and has the triple assault vectors. I think that multiple assault vector is possible in BAC universe with the current level of technology. It has three computer cores able to communicate with each other, and these computer cores are the prototypes of Pre-Sentient Algorithms, also used in UCS robotic units.

LMP, I edited my military list... basing most designs on the Farscape Levithian class, using metals and alloys instead of the organic stuff. The basic ship shape is similiar, a 3-D elongated oval shape, but UCS put cannons on its hull like modern naval vessels. Something like that.

I agree, no shields in BAC or on my ships. Neutronium can provide almost complete immunity to asteroid collisions, ship ramming, ballistic missiles, and mostly any projectiles. Keep in mind, due to the extreme density of Neutronium hulls, projectiles of lesser density cannot pierce the hulls. But energy weapons can damage the Neutronium hulls, since they can split or damage the atomic structure of it.

As for the communications thing... here's my idea how to fix this.

How about a slip-up or malfunction at your relay that allows UCS to pick up only several tranmissions. Basically chatter that identifies your faction, that you're human, and that your government is pseudo-facist. No more specific information or details about government or whatever.

Humans are fated to make mistakes and slip-ups... so I was thinking, maybe we could factor that into the communication thing in my post. Here's my idea for a revisement:

"Captain! We just picked up several garbled civilian tranmissions from a relay station in this system. It is apparent that the relay station suffered some malfunction of some kind, or got overloaded."

"Sara, are you certain? find out what the tranmissions mean or its contents?"

"From what the language tanks and literary sub-processors could analyze, it's clear that there is a human faction presence in this system, who call themselves the Procterate. They call their government pseudo-facism. No further information could be gleaned from the tranmissions. The relay station has re-cloaked and we cannot establish their new location for a bit."

(Then enter Procterate ship trying to destroy Magellan and knowledge that it gleaned)

How does this revision sound? Remember, UCS has very good detection technologies and exploration sensors. Also, for a good example of what I'm coming from would be USA finding out German sub communications during WW2 in the Atlantic, and deciphering them. We could apply this to the situation in my post, using BAC versions of communication and detection instead of radio and telegraphs from WW2.

One other thing... I will dispatch one of my massive 7 kilometer Enterprise Carriers to the spot Magellan is transmitting distress signals. It warps into realspace right in between Magellan and the Procterate ship. They trade shots, but the Procterate ship cannot hope to destroy a huge 7 kilometer carrier by itself. then Hive ships arrive, Procterate ship has to retreat, and Hive - UCS relationships is established.

I'm saying this because if the Procterate captures my ship, then there would be no way of Hive - UCS contact from occurring that I was planning with FC. Either Magellan puts up a heroic battle, and gets further damaged, just in time for Hive to come to its aid... or use the Enterprise Carrier idea.

I'm honestly not trying to put you down or anything Lonestar, but I planned on this with FC for a week or two.
Old February 27, 2002, 02:44   #501
Frankychan
King

Lonestar: Sovereign and I were going to use this incident to open diplomatic channels between our two governments! Can you leave some survivors or something for us to reply to?

As for your "Burnell Village"...

I was thinking about it and you guys might have a hard time assessing GHE command. Hive warriors would work together to either escape, kill captors, or whatever. Main point would be that they would work together no matter what the outcome.

Hope you can use this in your next post.

Damn Sovereign beat me to the post.

But yeah, we kinda were collaborating on this incident for a while and are going to use this to open Hive/University channels.

Sovereign---> <---Me===Us==>

Last edited by Frankychan; February 27, 2002 at 04:02.
Old February 27, 2002, 11:02   #502
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Hmm...

LMP how would a Defiant style of ship with toned down speed sound? Replace the Defiant's engines with BAC's engines and it'll make a good University destroyer, with solid build and good weapon ratios.
Now, using the ship sizes below versus the size giving in startrek tech sites and books, the Defiant is techinicly a Frigate in BAC standards. Then, there is the case of weaponry....how would they look on the defiant, as no humans have "Phasers", only the Fraal does. Quantum Torpedoe launchers could be normal BAC Torp/Anti-Ship Msl launchers (won't allow quantum torps). the four forward Pulse Phaser Cannons could be Tachyon Bolt Cannons and won't be as rapid of fire as the pulse phasers.... Warp Engines could be where the Ramscoops are and storage containers. Can have a single Matter/Antimatter Reactor in the middle...so Lonestar won't be the only HUmans to have that As for other weapons, it would look rediculus on the defiant and only having 4 forward arc Tachyon Bolt Cannons and 4 Torp launchers (2 front, 2 back) could make the Defiant undergunned compare to a lot of Frigates out there..... unless Tachyon Bolts are heavy ones and it has 2-3 capital grade STL engines....which would make a little ship one of the fastest out there, plus with maneuvering thrusters? wohohoho but the Neutronium armor would not be to thick on the ship thought, but it use Agility and Speed to make it up.

Fighter = 10-50 meters
Scout = 50-100 meters
Corvette = 100-200 meters
Frigate = 200-300 meters
Destroyer = 300-400 meters
Light Cruiser = 400-500 meters
Cruiser = 500-700 meters
Heavy Cruiser = 700-1000 meters
Battlecruiser = 1000-2000 meters
Battleship = 2000-3000 meters
Dreadnought = 3000-4000 meters
Superdreadnought = 4000-5000 meters

Escort Carrier = 500-1000 meters
Carrier = 1000-2000 meters
Heavy Carrier = 2000-3000 meters
Super Carrier = 3000-5000 meters

Quote:
As for the Promethus, that would be one of my two secret projects. A multi-purpose dreadnought, has solid build like the Defiant without fancy shapes or saucers, and has the triple assault vectors. I think that multiple assault vector is possible in BAC universe with the current level of technology. It has three computer cores able to communicate with each other, and these computer cores are the prototypes of Pre-Sentient Algorithms, also used in UCS robotic units.
3-4km Multi-Vector ships? and being secret? i don't think other Factions or other ships out there have much to worry about Multi-Vector ships, or ship seperations in general. What made the Multi-Vector ship good in Startrek is because of Shields and Phasers..... in BAC, won't have those advantages and wouldn't make a big deal....just a Dreadnought seperating into smaller ships which not make a big of deal in Fleet vs Fleet combat... maybe against a one to a few ships, but not against a Fleet of ships. Multi-Vector idea was geared for Startrek, not for BAC...and as nothing to do with technology.. Of course, University can do their crazy projects and having a strange military, which could be one of the factors as to why no other factions is interested in taking on University...... but whenever the "Unification War" (big human war with various sides), University will learn to smart up and focus on one form of Military ships another thing, Sentient AIs are alowed, just not common and people prefer not to, especially after watching some of the Morganites silly holomovies about Sentient Androids eliminating the humans, its creators

Quote:
LMP, I edited my military list... basing most designs on the Farscape Levithian class, using metals and alloys instead of the organic stuff. The basic ship shape is similiar, a 3-D elongated oval shape, but UCS put cannons on its hull like modern naval vessels. Something like that.
Can you provide a pic of that Leviathan class ship? I was never able to get into Farscape.

Quote:
I agree, no shields in BAC or on my ships. Neutronium can provide almost complete immunity to asteroid collisions, ship ramming, ballistic missiles, and mostly any projectiles. Keep in mind, due to the extreme density of Neutronium hulls, projectiles of lesser density cannot pierce the hulls. But energy weapons can damage the Neutronium hulls, since they can split or damage the atomic structure of it.
Depends on the Projectile weapon.... Gauss/Impact weaponry may not be effective against Neutronium Armor, but about Gracers (name and idea from Honor Harrington books) which fires a needle metal dart at Light Speeds just then maybe it can pierce Neutronium hulls........ as for Anti-Ship MSLs/Torpedoes, they would be able to damage Neutronium hulls, just not pierce them and not as effective against other hulls..... as they do have Fusion to Antimatter warheads.

Quote:
As for the communications thing... here's my idea how to fix this.

How does this revision sound? Remember, UCS has very good detection technologies and exploration sensors. Also, for a good example of what I'm coming from would be USA finding out German sub communications during WW2 in the Atlantic, and deciphering them. We could apply this to the situation in my post, using BAC versions of communication and detection instead of radio and telegraphs from WW2.
How about Magellan being so lucky to discover a Protectorate Comm Array at the edge of the system and Hack it and record various tachyon comms signals (no civilian ones, like i said before...and military/gov would be encrypted) so they can decrypt them later. Protectorate notices that one of their Comm Arrays is being played around with and sends a ship to investigate, discovers the Magellan and then tries to destroy the ship. less cornier that way and more sense when you deal with the ultra secretive and FASCIST (read some articles on this form of government) Protectorate.

Quote:
One other thing... I will dispatch one of my massive 7 kilometer Enterprise Carriers to the spot Magellan is transmitting distress signals. It warps into realspace right in between Magellan and the Procterate ship. They trade shots, but the Procterate ship cannot hope to destroy a huge 7 kilometer carrier by itself. then Hive ships arrive, Procterate ship has to retreat, and Hive - UCS relationships is established.
7km? hmmmm, No. Check ship sizes above and that is BAC average standard to make things simple and not confusing if we have different ship standards faction to faction. If you are keen in have Warship-Carrier........ then have a Super Carrier that carries same amount of fighters as a normal Carrier so the rest of the space is geared to weapons and thicker armor...but doesn't mean that the ship is invincible. and FTL isn't fast enough for Carriers to show out of nowhere between Magellan and Protectorate ship.......... Have we even decided yet where University would be in relative to rest of the factions, like the Protectorate? I know your first suggestion is to be in the Protectorate and Hive region, but it is a crowded area with the Peacekeepers, Believers, Hive and Protectorate...... even if Protectorate is very high on the Z axis. If University is located where Sprayber reserved for University, won't be able to send Carriers and get there in time to prevent the destruction/capture of the Magellan....unless the Carriers are in the neighbourhood in Peacekeeper space or whatever....but will still take an hour or two to get there by FTL. another thing, tachyon distress signal wouldn't reach to University, unless it bounces off Tachyon Comm Arrays towards it.....which requires using the public comm network which the cyborgs setup for everybody.

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 11:44   #503
Silence
Warlord

I am pretty sure that Grasers are Gamma X-Ray lasers.
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Old February 27, 2002, 13:02   #504
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
Lonestar: Sovereign and I were going to use this incident to open diplomatic channels between our two governments! Can you leave some survivors or something for us to reply to?

As for your "Burnell Village"...

I was thinking about it and you guys might have a hard time assessing GHE command. Hive warriors would work together to either escape, kill captors, or whatever. Main point would be that they would work together no matter what the outcome.
They better be doing their absolute best to try to escape. We didn't build them this compound on a airless planet for nothing!

(hell, we'll even have a few real wepons scattered in the compound for them to use.)
Old February 27, 2002, 22:05   #505
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
I am pretty sure that Grasers are Gamma X-Ray lasers.
In Honor Harrington? no, it shows in the technical pages in the older books and some of the newer ones. Grasers fires a projectile at light speed. the Shrike LAC fighters is built around a Gracer cannon

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 22:12   #506
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

They better be doing their absolute best to try to escape. We didn't build them this compound on a airless planet for nothing!

(hell, we'll even have a few real wepons scattered in the compound for them to use.)

Leave it to university people to think up of crazy unorthodox tactics to get away... like release an Antimatter Bomb in the Protectorate Ship's way...... or do something to mess up sensor readings and targetting systems like double-triple echoes..... or something

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 22:13   #507
Silence
Warlord

Well Grasers are for one listed as energy weapons. And for the bit about accelerating actuall matter at the speed of light is simply impossibile, and anybody who reads his starfire series nows what happens when somebody commits an impossiblity.

If you want I could bring it the entire Cult of Weber at spacebattles and end the matter, since I am not 100% sure, but only 90% sure.

David Weber
Old February 27, 2002, 22:49   #508
Lonestar
inmate
King

Hey, Frankychan, I just got a wild idea for the start of a GHE/Protectorate War. (But we'll need whoever the Gaians are in on this)

The Gaian's have a colony on the Moon of the GHE's Throneworld, right? Ever read The Moon is a Harsj Mistress?
Old February 27, 2002, 23:16   #509
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
Well Grasers are for one listed as energy weapons. And for the bit about accelerating actuall matter at the speed of light is simply impossibile, and anybody who reads his starfire series nows what happens when somebody commits an impossiblity.

If you want I could bring it the entire Cult of Weber at spacebattles and end the matter, since I am not 100% sure, but only 90% sure.
simply impossible? they said splitting the atom was simply impossible. they said going on the moon was simply impossible. In my opinion, nothing is impossible.......

if accelerating actual matter at the speed of light is impossible, then i guess FTL travel is impossible, no? Grasers are listed as energy weapons, but the description of Grasers does say it fires 'matter' at the speed of light.... so visually, may look like another beam weapon, but with a high kinetic piercing damage. The Graser cannons in Honor Harrington were pretty big, and requires a lot of power, which a single Fusion generator can supply.

another thing, i never read anything in the starfire series... never heard of it. Cult of Weber?

-LMP
Old February 27, 2002, 23:54   #510
Mellian
Queen

out of the blue question
I was wondering.........

how would you people describe your factions relationship and thoughts about the Fraal? It seems to be widely ignored in the story, which is okay as the Fraal not much involve in Human affairs....well, without humanity realizing it lol. Fraal does have more fondness of the Scions, Gaians, Cyborgs, University and the Peacekeepers. They would have interest on the Terran Alliance in general and the pirates and so on. that the average Fraal...there may be individual fraals who have their own individual interests of course

there would be Fraal motherships (10-15 kilometers) about Human space, but not commonly seen. A human as an higher chance of seeing a Fraal saucer Scout ships and triangular Explorers ships.

What are peoples thoughts to have a percentage of Fraals wanting to colonize a world.... would be younger Fraals and they would be allowed to go off colonizing, but without advance Fraal technologies and so on..... the Fraals, dubbed as the Builders or whatever by Humanity (later on if this happens), wouldn't mind as their advance techs would ruined the fun of colonizing a world and start anew. Won't be a seperate factions, just a neutral world colonized by Fraals somewhere in Human Space, without seriously caring whoes territory they be violating, and etc.... won't much make difference in the story, but human factions would notice i would think.

anyway, just some of my wonderings.........

-LMP