Old January 17, 2002, 23:13   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What? No disk?
I was finishing a two of my PBEM games, and then zipping the turns for e-mail. I was in Explorer and noticed something odd: I didn't have my SMAX disk in the drive. What? I had just finished 2 PBEM games! I through one of the major irritations with SMAX was that the disk was required to fire up the game.

So, I discovered something new, with a little experimentation. I can run Classic without the CD, but when I chose Alien Crossfire I get a 'No CD' message. What is strange is that I had never realized this before! Now I can run SMAC on my laptop when traveling and not have to worry about the SMAX CD being munched by my errant laptop drive (I almost lost my valuable SMAX CD to that drive recently, and was able to repair it with Game Doctor repair kit)! I'll be limited to SMAC, but that's OK.

Learn something new every day!

Hydro
Old January 18, 2002, 13:18   #2
Darius
Prince

Local Time: 14:31
If you want to play SMAX on your laptop, you may want to download the file that lets you play without the disk. (As long as you own a legal copy of the disk, of course ) There was a thread here recently describing where to get it.
Old January 18, 2002, 15:18   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
I hung it on my Rynn's Gallery site. Go to:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id8.html

Cheers,

G.