Old October 22, 2000, 19:47   #1
Tim White
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Units units units!!!!
More units! And make them more advanced, like certain units would fit with a certain civ, like the legions would be built by the Romans only, and the Marines would be only for the US. Here is a list of units to change form civ 2, and some new ones I suggest:

1. US navy SEAL-THis unit could make paradrops in the water, make amphibious assaults when NOT in a ship, and swim in and out to sea 2 squars. after it would be out at sea for more then 2 turns, it has a 50% chance of drowning. iT could also be held and picked up by subs.

2. Siberian Special Forces-This unit would be imune to weather(I would like to see seasons in civ 3), he would be like an Alpine Troop, except for elite.

3. King Tiger Tank-This unit would be a heavy tank, an ugrade from the Bradley Tank.

4. Air Transport- This unit would be the Helicopter in civ 2, it would be changed to an air Transport. It could transport up to 10 inf. units, and up to 4 vehicles. IT would also drop Navy SEALS and Paratroopers.

5. Bradley Tank- This unit would be the most basic tank, it would move one more space then the Tiger, This Tank would also have a mounted machine gun for taking out any infantry units.

6. M1A1 MBT(main battle tank)- THis would be an upgrade from the Tiger Tank.

7. Tank Destroyer- This unit would be especialy used for taking out tanks. like a howitzer, except x2 attack against tanks.

8. Apache Attack Helicopter- this unit would be like the helicopter, mainly used for hit and run missions. It would carry 8 helfire missiles, as well as a machine gun.

Special Notes - Certain Units would carry a machine gun, which would to x10 on attack vs. infantry units. Hellfire missiles would be like a downgrade from the cruise missile.

I have more units in mind, but for now this is good. I am thinking about other units, and there abilities, I'll add them to this page in a couple of days.

Old October 22, 2000, 20:16   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:29
Air transport has been suggested before - it's a good idea. But I also once dared to suggest APC (personnel carrier)and everyone jumped on me...

Do a search for unit related threads, and I'm sure you'll find some good stuff (I'm not doing it cause I can't recall any good threads off the top of my head )

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 22, 2000, 20:41   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Navy SEAL unit; type in frogmen or SEAL units into the search and find many recent discussions on this... however new ideas are always appreciated.

*August 11... Another Unit Idea... Last post by Adm. Naismith*
[This message has been edited by DarkCloud (edited October 22, 2000).]
Old October 22, 2000, 20:44   #4
Tim White
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 10-22-2000 08:16 PM
Air transport has been suggested before - it's a good idea. But I also once dared to suggest APC (personnel carrier)and everyone jumped on me...

Do a search for unit related threads, and I'm sure you'll find some good stuff (I'm not doing it cause I can't recall any good threads off the top of my head )

I would personnaly like the APC unit in there. Give me some sites on suggested units, and ill look em up.
Old October 22, 2000, 21:03   #5
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 19:29
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Try the links on this page to look up military stuff...
http://www.tb3.org.uk/forums/Forum1/HTML/000019.html

------------------
Webmaster of Shadowstrike's Civilization II Site
Emperor of The Gamer's Abode Forums
Old October 23, 2000, 04:01   #6
UltraSonix
King

Here's the APC thread:

Army Transports

Bewarned, people here do not like the idea.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 23, 2000, 22:08   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

I personally like the APC idea.
Old October 24, 2000, 02:06   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
I really don't understand you, Ultrasonix. First, you said that the crux of the argument against leaders/commanders is "Unit-mania" (very messy game with tons of units), and now you are proposing APC's ????

Like somebody posted (right) before: "Mechanized Infantry unit was soldiers in APCs and other troop carrying vehicles". With other words, Mechanized Infantry includes APC's. There's no need for a separate APC unit.
Old October 24, 2000, 02:17   #9
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
Regarding to the rest of the units proposed: some of them I like, but the problem is that no matter how much units the game will have, the players will very quickly figure out which are the best/strongest units, will build only those units and will ignore the rest of them, while the AI will build only those it has absolutely no need.
Old October 24, 2000, 02:58   #10
UltraSonix
King

quote:

now you are proposing APC's ????

That's why I don't like it anymore.

------------------
Old October 24, 2000, 13:04   #11
Tim White
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Tiberius on 10-24-2000 02:17 AM
Regarding to the rest of the units proposed: some of them I like, but the problem is that no matter how much units the game will have, the players will very quickly figure out which are the best/strongest units, will build only those units and will ignore the rest of them, while the AI will build only those it has absolutely no need.

I realize that, and these extra units would come in at different times, not just at the end of the game. Just look at how many different fighting armed forces there are around the world today, hundreds of different kinds of soldiery.