Old January 28, 2002, 23:35   #31
moi
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by moi

*slaps self with brick*

i dont know how i missed the sweet spot.

oh well. I will play another turn at approx 15:00 EST tomorrow. (gotta get sleep now)
*slaps self with another brick*

i hadnt realized that smash hadnt played yet. i REALLY need some sleep.
Old January 29, 2002, 02:26   #32
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
go ahead and play.Just be sure to post your(anyone) intention to play a turn set so we don't have players playing the same time period and creating confusion.

moi has the ball
Old January 29, 2002, 03:08   #33
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 20:35
Quote:
Originally posted by moi
*slaps self with brick*
Don't do that: it hurts.
We all make mistakes (and sometimes learn from them).
Please let me know when you notice one of mine.

About wonders, here's my opinion:

This game is an heroic epic. IMO this means that we try to play our best. This means researching Marco and Cope (4 caravans each).

More generally, given the size of the map, the maximal number of cities will probably be reached if we choose to play conquest. This means that we shall probably still be playing it in 2004.

On the contrary, if we play peacefully (with help of Marco and Cope), we might be able to launch a beautiful SS (max size) within a more reasonable amount of time. I vote for peace (even if I love ironclads).
Old January 29, 2002, 15:29   #34
Smash
Emperor

actually that would be 6 for Cope's making 10.
Impossible

with our current set up we will be lucky to build 4 caravans before the ai finished those wonders IMO.

I'd like to have em all,but I don't think we will have a choice.

My intentions are to extend our reach to the entire globe.
Old January 29, 2002, 16:29   #35
La Fayette
King

smash
Thank you for correcting me about Cope: 6 caravans, of course.
But I think you are wrong if you believe that we are late: about 3 turns before my savegame (let us say 380AD), there was an anouncement that the English started building Cope.
Do you agree that this probably means that they had just discovered Astro? (which would mean that we are well ahead of them in research?).
Anyway I think we should ask Julius and moi (and any other willing to join us) whether we are willing to play this game as a pure succession game, anyone of us playing exactly as he likes during 10 turns, or more like some kind of 'democracy game', trying to agree about the general strategy?
I confess that it would be fun if you have a target named 'conquest' and I have a target named SS...
moi? Julius? what do you think?
Old January 29, 2002, 19:41   #36
moi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
go ahead and play.Just be sure to post your(anyone) intention to play a turn set so we don't have players playing the same time period and creating confusion.

moi has the ball
very well; i will play a turn within one hour of now.
Old January 29, 2002, 20:17   #37
Smash
Emperor

I think we should rule as we see fit.Thruout history some leaders were better than others...had different visions of their Utopias.Heck, you could even choose to play your turns as a Pol Pot or similiar and wreck your/our country.Sometimes nations fall under the control of Hitler or a Stalin etc..take your pick.I don't know how popular you'd be if you chose to play this way ...but it would leave a legacy

We will find out soon enough about our immediate wonder future.I got notices of wonders starting just as I finished my turns last time(25bc).Have they been built yet?....a look at the recent save's top five and wonders built seems to indicate there are at least 2 wonders out there that are fairly well along.They will switch when they get a chance.I'm surprised Marco's is still available.I think there may be some trading/stealing of tech going on with the ais.Some of them are in contact and "working" together...sorta..for the ai.If the English started out on the Isle,then I don't beleive there is any way they got Astronomy on their own.More likely,a mainland Europe civ that is getting lots of huts.

We may have find ourselves looking at military action to secure a "vital" wonder or 2.Remember,we need at least one of the happy wonders very soon.The riot factor must be kicking now without the Gardens....
Old January 29, 2002, 20:29   #38
moi
Chieftain

440 Port Grapes founded. First citizen is unhappy
460 Hut tapped; horseback riding.
480 whee! vet phalanx from barb attack.
500 Hut tapped, 50g.
520 Diplomate reaches west coast of austarila.
540 Russains have nearly built copernicus's observatory. Hut tapped, advanced tribe of Divinity founded on west coast of Austrailia.
560 Moscow Builds copernicus.
580 Republic discovered. worth the switch over? I dont think so; many of our cities just arent putting out enough shields. Someone else can have the next revolution As a side note: I see nothing wrong with doing marco polo's.
600 Throne room: we now have the BIGGEST CHAIR ALLOWABLE BY LAW. ohh yeah
620 nada happens. gave saved as mu_a620. moi steps down.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mu_a620.zip (29.4 KB, 4 views)
Old January 29, 2002, 21:31   #39
Smash
Emperor

Ok I go next I guess.D'led and play now.
Old January 29, 2002, 22:16   #40
Smash
Emperor

well not too much to report.
University researched.I had 2 huts showing so I played a hunch and took Poly and got it from a hut....but Mono was not offered.I chose Banking.

Some units were found in huts in SA and that should keep the colony on solid ground against barbs and come what may.This is a fertile area and we should develop it ASAP.There must be someone in NA.We should be seeing a unit or 2 soon the way the ai beelines.
Another advanced tribe in Australia.Not well placed but at least a foothold.Defenses are very lean here.We must use caution with huts here less we have our colony wiped out by 1 wrong move.

I sold off the granary of God Haven.It serves only to drain the coffers of maintainence fees.Who kept building that?
Attached Files:
File Type: zip 820ad.zip (34.1 KB, 4 views)
Old January 29, 2002, 23:06   #41
moi
Chieftain

dunno, it was already building in progress, so i really didnt think twice about continuing it.
Old January 30, 2002, 05:26   #42
La Fayette
King

granary
I did start building it and I am sorry you sold it (but I agree with you, smash, it's just like Hitler coming to power and ordering autodafe burning books ).
I haven't seen the last savegame, so I can't judge whether it is already wise to switch to Republic. My plan was to grow God Haven even before switching and using WLTCD. Bye, bye!...

Anyway I completely agree that it can be great fun to play hardcore succession, with a new king or consul destroying what the previous one tried to build.
When I look back at History, I see quite clearly that this is much more realistic than wise democratic decisions taken in advance.
Let us be ruthless despots (and shouting loud when we dislike what the previous one did).
I shall be one within 1 hour from now (just enough time to download your savegame).
Old January 30, 2002, 11:09   #43
La Fayette
King

ruthless despot report
820: It appears that, even on this huge map, we have 12 cities and only red faces. Next city will bring us a black face somewhere. I hate black faces.
That's why I decide to stop settling, hurry up scouting and run for Mono and Mike.
860: hut gives legion
880: hut gives Medicine
960: Banking discovered (Mono researched, of course)
hut gives Theory of Gravity
980: MARCO POLO, hallelujah!

My hypothesis was right: 'We are #1 in science, noble leader!' (but our power is 'inadequate', not a great surprise!)
Here is what Marco tells us:
4 foreign civs left: Russians in Despotism at war with English and Vikings, both Monarchies + Mongol monarchy without any contact.

Russians: 12 cities, 18 techs
Vikings: 18 cities, 15 techs
English: 12 cities, 21 techs
Mongols: 19 cities, 16 techs

Our target civ is dark blue. I do massive tech gifting to the Vikings, thus reducing our number of beakers required for Mono from 572 to 462. The English are now ahead of us in techs (with help of the GL during tech gifting) but we just don't care: we need Mono swiftly, in order to build Mike ASAP.
I say ASAP! (and you do what you will, of course ).
But I say ASAP!
1020: hut gives Hamadan (nice seaside resort in Western Australia with 2 improvements inside; still I hate black faces so much that I refused to check where we got one)

(La Fayette, getting sunburnt in Hamadan, happy owner of Marco)
Old February 1, 2002, 06:04   #44
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 19:35
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
I'm ready to jump back into the game.
But LaFayette, where is the last save
Old February 1, 2002, 09:03   #45
La Fayette
King

It seems that i forgot to attach the same game. Excuse me , Julius. Enjoy!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mu_a1020.zip (36.4 KB, 5 views)
Old February 1, 2002, 13:54   #46
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game downloaded. I'm going to play it this evening or tomorrow morning.
Old February 1, 2002, 13:57   #47
Julius Brenzaida
King

Sorry, new problem : I can't download it properly
It is called "attachement" when I download and not mu_ ...
Maybe the problem is with my computer. Would some be king enough to send it to my email
julius.brenzaida@infomaniak.ch
Otherwise, I shall try again tomorrow morning
Old February 1, 2002, 16:12   #48
Smash
Emperor

just add .zip to it.Everything likes to come thru as attachment.I have to add .zip-.sav-etc all the time.
Old February 1, 2002, 16:26   #49
La Fayette
King

Same here. It didn't work without renaming.
Rename it after downloading and before unzipping, and it should work all right. (you can use your girlfriend's name AFAIK, but the end of it must be '.zip').
enjoy!
Old February 1, 2002, 16:27   #50
Julius Brenzaida
King

Yes, it is what I did, and it worked. Thanks Smash, I went to the forum to post that everything was ok and then I saw your message
I'm going to play tomorrow morning
Old February 1, 2002, 16:33   #51
Julius Brenzaida
King

And thanks LaFayette too.
You just posted while I was writing my message
Old February 1, 2002, 17:07   #52
La Fayette
King

I think you may even rename the file before downloading ( yet don't ask me too many questions in that field, because I think I am definitely better at playing than at downloading and the like)
Old February 2, 2002, 07:33   #53
Julius Brenzaida
King

1020 AD Julius Brznd’akil steps on the throne. He stands up for an agressive policy following the advices of the Smash party. We need to find and kill our ennemies. Only us can understand the true gifts of the Gods and we do not need to fear anything. We’re going to explore, to open huts and to look for the building of the greatest wonders Michelangelo, for the beauty of the Gods and the Statue of (Eastern Islands) Liberty to reach the form of government who truly worships the Gods.
1040 AD A nomad tribe of settlers join us in South America. In a bold plan, Brznd’akil plans to settle them far North, near Panama to ensure that the whole continent is under the Gods rules. A trireme heads to South East Asia : God shall be known everywhere.
1060 AD Horsemen join us from a hut. The Gods are really with us in S America.
1080 AD 100 gold in Austalia !
1100 AD Incredible : once nomad settlers in the Atlantic Coast of Brazil.
1120 AD We discover economics in the south jungle of Amazony. Advanced tribe of Darisuh Kabir in South East Australia. Not the best place, but size 4 with temple, marketplace and granary. The huts are the true gifts of the gods, not the human intelligence ! Porto Alegre is founded.
1140 AD We discover physics in western Amazony. Elephants join us still in S America. I swear to the Gods, I am not cheating at all. They truly are blessing us.
1160 AD We step in, I think, the Mekong delta. We have yet to meet anybody. But the Vikings have build Sun Tzu quite fast ...
1180 AD English have started Magellan. I am afraid we won’t have all the wonders.we would like. But the Gods, yes the Gods : advance tribe of Ghulaman, size 4, on the Mekong. With all the new cities, we need Michelangelo ! Another Nomad settlers near Panama. Truly unbelievable.
1200 AD Fittingly, we discover Monotheism and then warrior code, yes once more in Amazon, the kingdom of knowledge, obviously. Our horseman goes up the Mekong, still nobody in sight.
1220 AD You won’t believe me, but another advance tribe, Zohak, in upper Mekong. Soon we will be a force in Asia.
1240 AD More Nomad settlers, I lack words to thank the gods. With so much luck brought upon our nation, I think it is time to resign and die an happy man. May the next king accept and receive from the gods too.
Old February 2, 2002, 07:38   #54
Julius Brenzaida
King

I think that Moi is next. The power of hut hunting on gigamaps is awesome. I plan to bring caravans to God Heaven for the next wonder (Mike ?). Some are already there.
I’m deforesting jungle south of Panama. A city there should allow us to cross from Pacific to Atlantic and allow us to defend easily South America. A settler is on the right 3 specials spot in Peru (western S America at least). There’s another none settler near the delta of the Amazon. I think we should head for democracy, SoL and fundamentalism. All the lands are prosperous.
Old February 2, 2002, 08:14   #55
Julius Brenzaida
King

Ah yes, here’s the saved game. That was real fun to play. I’ve never seen anything like this with huts. When the human is behind in power, and especially with new continents, advanced tribe are quite common, but that common !!!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mu_1240.zip (38.4 KB, 4 views)
Old February 3, 2002, 06:19   #56
Marcel I
Warlord

What version of Civ2 do you guys use
I have 2.42 at my PC, but I'm constantly getting a "failed to load" message
Old February 3, 2002, 11:52   #57
moi
Chieftain

MGE. i used to have 2.42, and i found an upgrade somewhere (cant remember where) that MGEd me.
Old February 3, 2002, 11:54   #58
moi
Chieftain

i will play a turn within the next two hours.
Old February 3, 2002, 14:21   #59
moi
Chieftain

log

1260 Hut tapped - The Wheel
1280 Hut tapped - Horde of barbs (fuxor!)
1300 city of fester founded. first citizen is black . but, the city has bananas, everybody's favorite, so all will be well eventually. hut tapped - free legion
1320 hut tapped - horde of barbs, and pretty close to zohak as well . Hut tapped- 100g.
1340 Happiest civs in the world we are number 4
1360 zohak's single phalanx fends off 2 barb horsemen. I sneeze all over monitor. Hut tapped-atomic theory.
1380 Hut tapped - iron working.
1400 Hut tapped - free settler. Hutt tapped - free legion. Game saved as mu_a1400.sav King moi steps down after a short reign - i just dont have time to play anymore today.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip mu_a1400.zip (36.3 KB, 4 views)
Old February 3, 2002, 19:21   #60
Smash
Emperor

Playing now.