Old January 21, 2002, 15:59   #31
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 19:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Or is this function restricted to only those people that have their own site, or access to one?
Most of the time you have to have your own webspace to host the image, but I don't think this is the case with Apolyton because if you try to download a mod or something you get it off Apolyton's servers.
Old January 21, 2002, 16:03   #32
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:36
I think he's talking about inline coding with the IMG tag. I don't think you could use Apolyton's server for that without FTP access, could you?
Old January 21, 2002, 16:10   #33
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian
It would have to be on a server somewhere. For most people, servers are remote, so they could FTP the file.
OK thanks, I've got it now. Not really a problem I guess since pretty much every one gets some space with their ISP, provided they know how to use it. I was thinking that it was stored on Apolyton's system somewhere.
Old January 21, 2002, 16:13   #34
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
I think he's talking about inline coding with the IMG tag. I don't think you could use Apolyton's server for that without FTP access, could you?
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I couldn't see any way to upload the file into their system.
Old January 21, 2002, 16:16   #35
opaque
Warlord

Local Time: 19:36
Quote:
What I said was just my past experience of posting pictures on forums (which isn't much). Since it is in fact beyond me I will keep quiet
Old January 21, 2002, 19:26   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you have access to a server then you can upload the file(s) to that server, and link to the pictures directly in your post. As Lib posted previously, it looks something like:

To get the file to your server (if they have given you space) you will need to get a FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program. The server you have space on should have a FAQ to help you set an FTP up.

If you Dont have access to a server then you will need to attach a single picture at the end of your post, 1 picture per post. This file has restrictions on it, so very likely you will have to make the picture smaller (the crop tool in PSP works well).

As Prince pointed out previously, getting PSP is a very good idea if you want to put screenshots up on 'Poly. Paint cant save as jpg or gif, and i dont think it can make the picture smaller either. PSP on the other hand can save files as a jpg, gif, or many other less popular formats. And can read them too.
Old January 21, 2002, 20:14   #37
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now, how to get your screenshot post-worthy
Note: This post assumes that you have PSP. Paint does not have the functionality to do the necessary steps. Any other graphics program will have equivalent functions to PSP, but as i dont have those other programs, i dont know what the equivalent functions are

So, you have just pressed printscreen, loaded up PSP and pasted the whole screenshot there. You have a nice big picture of your game in progress.
Now unless there are special circumstances, posting the entire 1024 x 768 picture inside the forums wouldnt gain you too many friends. What can I do then?? you ask. Make it smaller!!

First you need to ask yourself a question. Do I want to show the entire screen, or is there just a small part that needs highlighting?

If you want the entire screen kept in the final picture, then resizing is for you!! First, save your full-sized image.
With your image in the screen select menuitem image->resize
The default resizing options should be fine, you just need to change the amount the image decreases by. For arguements sake, we'll select 75 % of original. Select the radio button next to percentage of original, and type 75 into the box there. Then press the Ok button.
Voila! One smaller picture. If it looks small enough, save it with a different name and then upload to your server / try to attach with your message on Apolyton. If still to big, either goto edit->undo resize if you havent closed PSP, or load the original full-sized image. Then repeat the resizing using a smaller number.

If you just want to highlight part of your picture then cropping is for you!! First, save your full-sized image.
With your image in the screen, select the cropping tool located on the left of your screen.

Determine what part of the picture you want to keep. With the crop tool selected, put the mouse pointer at one corner of that area, click and hold the mouse button, and drag the pointer to the other corner of the area. Let the mouse button go. The selected area will be surrounded by a thin box. If its not quite right, just make a new area selection. However, you must start a new area selection outside the box you have just made. If all looks good, double-click inside the box to remove everything outside of the box.
Voila! One smaller picture. If it looks small enough, save it with a different name and then upload to your server / try to attach with your message on Apolyton. If still to big, just load up your smaller picture, select the crop tool and remove other bits that aren't necessary.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask for clarifications (Im not the best at explaining) or to make corrections (although this method works for me )
Old January 22, 2002, 14:37   #38
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:36
Thanks a bunch, all of you, for the help. Well, what I really wanted to be able to do isn't gonna happen, because I don't have access to a server. The second possibility, attaching a file at the end of a post is the best I will be able to do. I kinda had the feeling that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Well, at least now I know how to do that. Thanks again.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:45   #39
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Thanks a bunch, all of you, for the help. Well, what I really wanted to be able to do isn't gonna happen, because I don't have access to a server. The second possibility, attaching a file at the end of a post is the best I will be able to do. I kinda had the feeling that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Well, at least now I know how to do that. Thanks again.

-Arrian
If you have an internet account, chances are you have access to a server. Don't you have a certain amount of space that you can use to post a web site? If not, you might consider switching your service. This is pretty much standard procedure these days, at least in my area, with most providers offering at least 10 meg. You just upload the file there, and provide an http: link in the post.
Old January 22, 2002, 15:47   #40
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:36
I agree with Willem. It's at least worth a try. It's possible, though, that your provider prohibits linking directly to image files. So you might have to do a Geocities-type workaround.