Old October 25, 2000, 23:45   #1
jrhughes98

Council Notifications
Ok, last thing before I go to bed...
This could be an option for beginners or just anyone who wants it. You could choose to have council notifications. This way, anytime one of your council members has an update/change of opinion, the game will notify you of it and ask if you want to listen that council members' update. You will also be able to hear whether your other council members agree or disagree with the one council member's new opinion. This could actually replace an occassional meeting between yourself and ALL of the council members, as is done in Civ2.

------------------
JRH
[This message has been edited by jrhughes98 (edited October 25, 2000).]

Old October 26, 2000, 00:20   #2
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You mentioned "change of opinion". But opinion on what? If it the councillor's opinion on what you should build next, then you might as well forget it. It'll be impossible for Firaxis to program the AI so that its recommendations would be reliable...

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 26, 2000, 00:27   #3
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 10-26-2000 12:20 AM
You mentioned "change of opinion". But opinion on what? If it the councillor's opinion on what you should build next, then you might as well forget it. It'll be impossible for Firaxis to program the AI so that its recommendations would be reliable...

Maybe not 100%, but again may I say, don't underestimate the power of computer programming. . .

------------------
JRH

Old October 26, 2000, 10:15   #4
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 18:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
hmmm.. well... that is an ok idea as long as ther is an option to have the whole thing completly turned off.
Old October 27, 2000, 00:15   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:30
quote:

hmmm.. well... that is an ok idea as long as ther is an option to have the whole thing completly turned off.

So it's not a good idea?

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old October 27, 2000, 03:09   #6
phoenixcager

quote:

Originally posted by Empress on 10-26-2000 10:15 AM

My sentiments exactly...
The council was fun the first couple of times, but got tedious after a while.

Old October 27, 2000, 10:06   #7
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 10-27-2000 12:15 AM
So it's not a good idea?

quote:

Originally posted by jrhughes98 on 10-25-2000 11:45 PM This could be an option for beginners or just anyone who wants it.

Like I said, its a good idea for beginners, but advanced players would probably want to have this option turned off.

------------------
JRH

Old October 27, 2000, 22:16   #8
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

Local Time: 00:30
I think that the high council should go further, instead of just them giving you there opinion on stuff, you should be able to ask them questions, built in of course. Like, you could ask the military adviser, 1. how wise would it be to invade the american civ? (or whatever ever civ you wanted), or 2. how many defencive units should I place in defence in my cities? etc. And then you could ask the forein advisor, 1. should I make peace, or an alliance with the english civ? (and again, whatever civ you wanted)and so on.
Old October 27, 2000, 22:23   #9
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If they can't fix AI behavior and decision making they will not be able to develop an interactive Council of Advisors. No chance.

Most of the advice is either obvious or wrong.

I always laugh when the Foreign Affairs advisor says, "Go Explore, my talents go to waste!" when you have a handful of cities and haven't run into anyone else yet....I mean, give me a break...

If I didn't want to explore, would I have bought this game in the first place???
Old October 28, 2000, 09:34   #10
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto on 10-27-2000 10:16 PM
I think that the high council should go further, instead of just them giving you there opinion on stuff, you should be able to ask them questions, built in of course. Like, you could ask the military adviser, 1. how wise would it be to invade the american civ? (or whatever ever civ you wanted), or 2. how many defencive units should I place in defence in my cities? etc. And then you could ask the forein advisor, 1. should I make peace, or an alliance with the english civ? (and again, whatever civ you wanted)and so on.

If the military advisor advised you which civs would be wise to attack and which ones would better be left alone, or to make peace/alliance with, then that would ruin all the fun and challenge of the game. It should be up to YOU (the player) to decide which civs are worthy and which ones are not.

------------------
JRH

Old October 28, 2000, 10:51   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:30
quote:

Originally posted by jrhughes98 on 10-28-2000 09:34 AM
It should be up to YOU (the player) to decide which civs are worthy and which ones are not.

Who says that you have to hear on them?

------------------
Who am I? What am I? do we need Civ? YES!!
Old October 28, 2000, 11:31   #12
jrhughes98

quote:

Originally posted by Nikolai on 10-28-2000 10:51 AM
Who says that you have to hear on them?

huh??

------------------
JRH