Old January 23, 2002, 08:39   #1
Zakharov
Settler

Local Time: 03:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Newbie question...
Okay this question has probably been asked a million times but was wondering if Firaxis IS actually going to implement multiplayer for Civ III in an upcoming patch? At the moment it looks unlikely since they probably think that people are already satisfied with the great single-player experience Civ 3 is, which I don't deny, although multiplayer would be a welcome addition . Well just wondering if anyone has heard anything besides what Firaxis has quoted on their website (which is a few months old). In my opinion, it seems very unlikely that they will release multiplayer, at least not for a year or so when the possibility of an expansion will come out. Anyway, would like to hear other people's opinions on what's going on with this.

Also, on a sidenote, the Scenario Editor is much different to what I expected. Unlike Civ 2's Scenario Editor (where it WAS a scenario editor), this one seems to be a mod editor, which I'm rather disappointed about since you can't script your own scenarios anymore. Does anyone know if scenarios can be made (perhaps with third party software?)?
Old January 23, 2002, 08:46   #2
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
[...sigh...]

Yes, that question has been asked a BAZILLION times.

From two recent Firaxis posts:

Quote:
If you have v1.16f, there is NO reason to overwrite civ3mod.bic, and we STRONGLY recommend you not modify, rename, or otherwise tamper with the file.
Quote:
Mike B. increments the version number of the editor (and the BIC file) independently from the game's versioning.
Please learn to use the search feature.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:27   #3
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:44
(As usual Libertarian fails to answer the questions.)

1. Multiplayer mode: They have acknowledged they are working on it. A lot of it is already in the code for the game, but hidden. They can not or will not tell us more than that, but general feelings are it will be an expansion pack and you will have to pay for it. I thought I saw some where about late spring or summer but I can't remember where.

2. They also say they are working on any the "scenario editor". Your right in saying that right now it is more of a "mod editor". It is unknown if this will be in a patch or expansion pack. I'm think that you will see some new features in a patch, maybe some others in a expansion pack. I wouldn't be suprised if soon you see a third party editor that can format scenarios.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:27   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
Re: Newbie question...
Quote:
Originally posted by Zakharov
Okay this question has probably been asked a million times but was wondering if Firaxis IS actually going to implement multiplayer for Civ III in an upcoming patch? At the moment it looks unlikely since they probably think that people are already satisfied with the great single-player experience Civ 3 is, which I don't deny, although multiplayer would be a welcome addition . Well just wondering if anyone has heard anything besides what Firaxis has quoted on their website (which is a few months old). In my opinion, it seems very unlikely that they will release multiplayer, at least not for a year or so when the possibility of an expansion will come out. Anyway, would like to hear other people's opinions on what's going on with this.

Also, on a sidenote, the Scenario Editor is much different to what I expected. Unlike Civ 2's Scenario Editor (where it WAS a scenario editor), this one seems to be a mod editor, which I'm rather disappointed about since you can't script your own scenarios anymore. Does anyone know if scenarios can be made (perhaps with third party software?)?
If you go to your game folder and look at the Jackal.txt file, you willl see numerous references to MP. Those wouldn't be there if they didn't intend on including it at some point.
Old January 23, 2002, 12:27   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
Re: Newbie question...
Quote:
Originally posted by Zakharov

If you go to your game folder and look at the Jackal.txt file, you will see numerous references to MP. Those wouldn't be there if they didn't intend on including it at some point.
Old January 23, 2002, 13:18   #6
Libertarian
King

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
(As usual Libertarian fails to answer the questions.)
[...incredulous stare...]

I see. Well, let's examine the "answers" you provided:

Quote:
1. Multiplayer mode: They have acknowledged they are working on it. A lot of it is already in the code for the game, but hidden. They can not or will not tell us more than that, but general feelings are it will be an expansion pack and you will have to pay for it. I thought I saw some where about late spring or summer but I can't remember where.
What does that mean other than that you don't know squat? The only hint of an acknowledgment I've seen is from their website — a coy remark that a careful searcher can find buried deep in the bowels of the site if he hunts for it.

General feelings? Thought you saw somewhere? Gah. And then you have the unmitigated nerve to accuse me of evasion.

Quote:
2. They also say they are working on any the "scenario editor". Your right in saying that right now it is more of a "mod editor". It is unknown if this will be in a patch or expansion pack. I'm think that you will see some new features in a patch, maybe some others in a expansion pack. I wouldn't be suprised if soon you see a third party editor that can format scenarios.
It is unknown. You think. You wouldn't be surprised. Yeah, I'm sure the opening poster has all his questions answered now.
Old January 25, 2002, 15:33   #7
Zakharov
Settler

Local Time: 03:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks for your input so far. Hopefully multiplayer will be implemented in a subsequent patch!
Old January 25, 2002, 18:20   #8
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
Looks like Libertarian is studying to become a nitty gritty "released on technicality" lawyer.

How's the exams going?