Old January 23, 2002, 21:20   #1
exsanguination
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
On Firaxis's silence (esp about the Editor)
As far as I know, Firaxis had made no public effort to help scenario creators with the editor. It is plain to see that a majority of everyone dislikes civ3 because of the lack of scenarios/scenario creating tools. I fully support this stance. (IMHO, scenario/mod creation is funner than the game itself as it is). Could it be that Firaxis is just waiting to release a new editor full of new tools and gizmos, or is it that hey - we've got our money. Now lets go and run.

In relation to Bilas's thread, if any Firaxian opened himself up for questioning or the like, he'd probably be killed. My problem is that no one from Firaxis had so much as addressed much of the concerns many of us have with the limitations they have put on us. The great thing about the civ series is its expandibility. With civ3, there is almost no expandibility. Firaxis was pretty quick IMO with the first patch. How about a new one? You can't tell me every Firaxian has been idle, not reading these forums at all. Someone has got to know there are still issues. When will they be addressed?

Does anyone know of any word from FIRAXIS about a new patch/editor/add-on/expansion pack??

Also, if Firaxis has made any attempt at solving these problems and/or at least addressed them, tell me where to find them, and then promptly shoot me for wasting my time with this thread.
Old January 23, 2002, 21:53   #2
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Well, in the XMas chat, Firaxis said that they would not release a patch with just bugfixes, but with new features also. That's a step in the right direction. Also the first patch did have additions to the editor, although not the ones most were looking for.
Old January 23, 2002, 22:15   #3
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:45
I would imagine bugfixes and multi-player is at the top of their list, latter comes the editor and new game features. But that's just what I think (...they would prioritize). I can't believe they're not aware of how long Civ2 continued to make money -- I think they are aware, and that they'll continue to work in some form on the game as long as it sells. I love to speculate, it's like betting money I'm right, and if I am I'll likely tell everyone so :o)
Old January 23, 2002, 22:16   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:45
Re: On Firaxis's silence (esp about the Editor)
Quote:
Originally posted by exsanguination
It is plain to see that a majority of everyone dislikes civ3 because of the lack of scenarios/scenario creating tools.
So you've asked each and every person who posts here whether they like the game or not have you?
Old January 23, 2002, 23:31   #5
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Also, if Firaxis has made any attempt at solving these problems and/or at least addressed them, tell me where to find them, and then promptly shoot me for wasting my time with this thread.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...325#post701325

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...126#post699126

Well these don't address the patch directly but it does prove they are here.

I'm still looking for more.........I really want to shoot you.
Just kidding
Old January 23, 2002, 23:34   #6
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Local Time: 11:45
Re: Re: On Firaxis's silence (esp about the Editor)
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

So you've asked each and every person who posts here whether they like the game or not have you?
No but anyone with deductive logic or common sense knows this! Or to make things easier just read the majority of the posts - most of the things I've seen so far are gripes about "lack of features" which could obviously be fixed with a more detailed/complex editor with limitless options. Do some more reading Willem, there are lots of posts regarding the crappy editor.

Charles.
Old January 23, 2002, 23:36   #7
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Re: On Firaxis's silence (esp about the Editor)
Quote:
Originally posted by exsanguination
Does anyone know of any word from FIRAXIS about a new patch/editor/add-on/expansion pack??

Not a word. I've been all over these forums, and I always hit the Civ-Home-Site before I check my email updates. I don't think they plan on releasing anymore patches, I believe firmly that their next move will be the "expansion-pack" for a cost.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 00:03   #8
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: On Firaxis's silence (esp about the Editor)
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesUFarley

No but anyone with deductive logic or common sense knows this! Or to make things easier just read the majority of the posts - most of the things I've seen so far are gripes about "lack of features" which could obviously be fixed with a more detailed/complex editor with limitless options. Do some more reading Willem, there are lots of posts regarding the crappy editor.

Charles.
Well I've been "doing some reading" here for several weeks, and it seems to me that for the most part the main consensus is that it's a good game that needs some work. Perhaps you're just focusing on the ones that support your beefs, and passing the ones that don't off as "fanboy" posts. Maybe if you took the time to look at both sides of the picture, you might come up with a different conclusion.
Old January 24, 2002, 06:41   #9
Libertarian
King

I don't know when I've seen such histrionic sanctimony. Your presumption that you are fair while others are blind is uber-hubris.

As to whether people know what Firaxis is up to, the fact is that a few people do. Including me. But I know only because of leaks, thanks to Firaxian misjudgment about the loyalties of some of the players. Were there any possible ethical rationale for me to speak, I would tell the world what I know. But doing so would compromise my own promise. And that won't happen. Besides, it isn't my place to speak about these matters. It's their place.

I wish only one of two things: (1) that Firaxis had the good sense to express that it cares about customer concerns, or (2) that the people to whom they've leaked directly had the courage to step forward and tell what they know.

Meanwhile, we play this stupid game (no, not Civ3, the other stupid game) of begging for information while they cherry pick irrelevant questions from Settlers for the sole purpose of making a pretense to be present.
Old January 24, 2002, 06:50   #10
kimmygibler
Warlord

Willem - Are you crazy? Just take a glance at the first page of posts in this forum. There is one positive thread (Civ3 is the best game I ever owned) and at least 15 threads pointing out flaws, problems, and issues with either the game itself or firaxis' lack of support. If people posting here is any indication, then the game has been a disapointment for most people. As was already said, simple common sense should tell you this.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:06   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmygibler
Just take a glance at the first page of posts in this forum. There is one positive thread (Civ3 is the best game I ever owned) and at least 15 threads pointing out flaws, problems, and issues with either the game itself or firaxis' lack of support.
I don't know what you're talking about. I like the game. It's entertaining and that's all I want. Sure, it ain't perfect. Nothing and nobody is. And there may be some features to be added, but the game is still young. So let's have faith and play the game.

By the way, about the 1:15 positive/negative thread relation: May be the majority likes the game and just plays it, instead of posting their excitement? I don't care about the whining threads. I mostly don't even read them.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:13   #12
Libertarian
King

Here go the greased cats again:

Most of the posts are from people who love the game.

Um, no. Please examine these facts...

Well, maybe people who like the game are too busy playing.

But have you searched for the game on E-bay? It's like searching for "women" on Google — more hits than you can read in a day.

But those are just people who have the CD hack and want to play for free.

There's quite a fair number of people offering the LE as well.

Oh, yeah? Well, you're just stupid.

Stop staring at me. Eat your checkers.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:19   #13
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Re: Firaxis PR and Game Tedium
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well I've been "doing some reading" here for several weeks, and it seems to me that for the most part the main consensus is that it's a good game that needs some work. Perhaps you're just focusing on the ones that support your beefs, and passing the ones that don't off as "fanboy" posts. Maybe if you took the time to look at both sides of the picture, you might come up with a different conclusion.
Believe me Willem I am well aware of the limited "good" aspects of this game, more than you know. And no I don't only harness the negative and dispose of the posative. I would like to be fair and non-bias, unfortunately (and truthfully) I have nothing good to say about Civ3 at this point in time. So far there is far more disapointment with this game than there is a reason for me to talk about it's potential or "good". And maybe I was wrong for making the assumption that you haven't read more into the problems with the game, perhaps you have - but in all honesty you sure don't appear to care.

- Criticism is strive for improvement and perfection, not foul.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:24   #14
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

I don't know what you're talking about. I like the game. It's entertaining and that's all I want. Sure, it ain't perfect. Nothing and nobody is. And there may be some features to be added, but the game is still young. So let's have faith and play the game.

By the way, about the 1:15 positive/negative thread relation: May be the majority likes the game and just plays it, instead of posting their excitement? I don't care about the whining threads. I mostly don't even read them.
Aww.. thats nice you like the game, good boy. WHO CARES the object of this is to improve the game and the situation, clearly talking about what is right with the game isn't going to fix what is wrong with it, slap yourself. And the only "whining" that goes on is the people who defend the game, and fanboy the forums. Hence "whiners of whiners". Look in the mirror.

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 08:09   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
slap yourself
Collecting "culture points"? Ha!

Quote:
Look in the mirror.
I have none. Must turn off my monitor to see myself.

Old January 24, 2002, 08:19   #16
CharlesUFarley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Collecting "culture points"? Ha!

I have none. Must turn off my monitor to see myself.

Or maybe they're in conjunction with one another, you turn off your light so you can slap yourself. Now I got it.

[...yawn...]

Charles.
Old January 24, 2002, 08:24   #17
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 21:45
it seems to me that there is already an active thread on the issue...
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=40413