Old October 29, 2000, 16:26   #1
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Post-Release Support
Amid all the good ideas for Civ 3 here, I have not seen much concern for Firaxis' support for the game. Their support for SMAC was pretty dissappointing. After the expansion disk, SMAC support evaporated even though it is arguably the best made of all the TBS games out there now. (Support needn't mean only patches, but scenarios and other 'returns' from the company on your investment in their software.)

I once heard that 80% of the code for Starcraft has changed since its intial release. Now that's support and arguably one of the reasons why people still play Starcraft all these years later.

Good support can build a loyalty to a game and vice versa. And certainly Apolytoners have demonstrated their loyalty to the Civ games. Lets hope Firaxis will do the same for us.
Old October 29, 2000, 22:27   #2
jrhughes98

Point well taken, SorvinoBackhand. Unless Civ3 turns out to be VERY impressive, I will not buy it if there is VERY limited or no support for it from Firaxis.

------------------
JRH

Old October 30, 2000, 01:05   #3
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Er, shouldn't we be talking about this when the game gets closer to completion - there's not much point mentioning it now.

quote:

After the expansion disk, SMAC support evaporated even though it is arguably the best made of all the TBS games out there now.
SMAX was an excellent expansion - there wasn't much need to do anything after that...

quote:

patches
The game ran good except for the grafx engine, so I guess there was not much need for patches.

quote:

scenarios and other 'returns' from the company on your investment in their software.
I think it's been mentioned before [and I compleetely agree] that Firaxis should concentrate on making the best possible game (minus scenarios) and making a good scenario editor as well. They should leave the scenario making to the people on the web (ie us), 'cause we'll probably be able to do better anyway!

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 06:12   #4
Biddles
Prince

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Starcraft's code needed changing. A glitch in an RTS game can be exploited more than one in a TBS game. (except for that damn infinite range missile > ).

Besides, with all that Firaxis has had on their plate they have done a great job just to get those patches out.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission