Old January 24, 2002, 19:24   #31
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 12:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Libertarian

You might not yet have arrived, my friend, when I made my own list of ideas. And waited. And waited. And waited. It's sad, I tell you, when a decent person with decent input finds that he is doing nothing more than pissing in the wind.

Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt.
I can attest to the truth of this statement. I remember the old Libertarian from last year.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:43   #32
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:47
Anyhow, about the original topic :-)

Can't we discuss new units purely for the fun of doing that, rather than judging every idea by whether it will be used or not?

Personally I would love a Renaissance age after the Middle ages. This would require cutting the middle ages tech tree, pushing some techs to the left and some to the right, as well as beefing out both ages, and naturally adjusting the rate at which years pass by. I grew up with paintings of renaissance ships in my parents house, so pirates and galleons have always been a part of my childhood fantasies.

The Privateer needs to be severely overhauled. Privateers were either small and fast, so they could catch up with merchant ships and board them; or they were more powerful than their prey, and fought until they surrended. So, the regular privateer should have the stats of a galley but with 4 movement points, while the heavy privateer should be able to take down a galleon. Ie, a bit weaker than a frigate.

The Privateer unit could have another special ability; if it wins, it takes control of the conquered ship. If the conquered ship carried units, those are destroyed by the winner. This is to imply that the privateers part of the loot was slaves. Any thoughts?

Btw, Libertarian... *is* there a topic of conversation you participate in that you don't try to shape into criticism of Firaxis? They must have hurt you bad.
Old January 24, 2002, 19:52   #33
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:47
I agree with your Privateer comment 100%. As they stand, they're too weak, and, historically speaking, they were really much more substantial.

As for other additions, I'd like to see more Civs, and maybe more rebellion options.... like, a Civil War option. Rather than being culturally absorbed into existing Civ's, why not have unhappy cities split off and form their own new Civ? Imagine the espionage options, too... I'd love to be able to subvert an enemy by providing cash to rebel forces within his empire...
Old January 24, 2002, 20:48   #34
MonsterMan
Warlord

Local Time: 20:47
Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
As for other additions, I'd like to see more Civs, and maybe more rebellion options.... like, a Civil War option. Rather than being culturally absorbed into existing Civ's, why not have unhappy cities split off and form their own new Civ? Imagine the espionage options, too... I'd love to be able to subvert an enemy by providing cash to rebel forces within his empire...

I think new civs are very unlikely, because it would take a helluva lot of work. Every civ has their own special way of saying things, which is why the textfile with AI conversation is *220* kilobytes big. But I totally support the idea that Firaxis should beef up the editor options on civilizations, ie give us the tools to create new civs from a nice interface, especially a simple program where a modder can alter and add text responses.

There should also be an option to select from several different leaderheads for civilizations when the player starts a new game. That way a modder might choose between the original german, hitler, helmut kohl etc. I'm not saying that Firaxis should create these heads, just open the option for the mod community.
Old January 24, 2002, 22:24   #35
OneInTen
Warlord

Local Time: 05:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
It's sad, I tell you, when a decent person with decent input finds that he is doing nothing more than pissing in the wind.
Must ... resist ... temptation .... must not ask to meet the Libertarian who is a decent person ...
Old January 24, 2002, 22:39   #36
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
Quote:
Originally posted by SixArmedMan
When Lib said it's sad, I think he meant the fact that his ideas are good but will never be acknowledged or implemented by Firaxis. Or mod makers.

When he said "Which ones" I think he was asking "Which mod makers?" Other than Vel and Korn (Who I think are pretty much finished with modding Civ 3) there's an uncomfortable lack of serious modders out there. I mean, the editor only goes so far...
Well I hope you're not speaking on my behalf! I've been modding like crazy, even though I don't really intend on posting anything. And I'm sure there's quite a few more people like me. I'm finding lots of things in the editor to keep myself busy with.