Old October 29, 2000, 14:40   #1
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Named Units?
This comes from my other thread, but here we go.

players should have the option to give units special names apart from the home city and unit type names, just like in Empire Deluxe or Imperialism I.

Especially for ships, this would add atmosphere, as in HMS Victory, HMS Hood, USS Enterprise, Bismarck.
Old October 29, 2000, 15:14   #2
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
I'm open to naming. Quite frankly, I would even settle for an "automatic" naming system, in which each military unit would carry a unique id. For example, 1 Armored Division, 5th Legion, 11th Catapult, 131 squadron.

Then it would be possible to consult the military advisor and see a total history of any unit. How many combats, victories/retreats, when it became a veteren/elite, and any other actions of the unit during it's existence.

1940 2nd armored division mobilized
1941 2nd armored division defeats French armored division near Mannheim
1942 2nd armored division captures French city, Metz

and so on...

If this was done, then there would be an option to rename the unit. Just like city founding currently in Civ II.
Old October 29, 2000, 16:18   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 00:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think units, terrain, and bodies of water should be able to be named. Maybe roads or railroads. (Just a thought)
Old October 29, 2000, 19:00   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
Just like with have Ctrl-G to turn the grid on and off, a Ctrl-M (or some equivalent) could allow a Map names on and off.

Maybe it would give those advisors something more to talk about...

Military Advisor: We need City Walls, the enemy has crossed the River Rhine.

I know I'm dreaming about making the advisory council useful, but I think the naming idea is tops.
Old October 30, 2000, 01:16   #5
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:30
If SMAC could name landmarks, then it makes sense naming units. The benefit of this could be for the civ history journal that everyone here loves (Shogun Gunner's idea above is sort of like it). With this idea we'd be able to get entries like:

Dec 1965 - HMS Sydney sinks USS Enterprise near Brisbane.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 04:34   #6
rremus
Warlord

And of course it should be corelated with stacking units. You could create armies and give them names. It will make the game not only more fun, but also more easy to play.
Stack several units in 'Army group North', several in 'Army group Center' and several in 'Army group South', then then try to enclose the enemy's 'Tank Army 3' and 'Tank Army 5' around Voronezh... This way I think is more easy to remeber what we're each group suppose to do after several turns.
Now I spend a lot of time trying to remeber what is this Archer doing in the middle of the desert... It should go North? South? I have to scroll, look in to the midi-map... The game is long anyway...
Old October 30, 2000, 05:15   #7
Biddles
Prince

This idea is good. No impact on gameplay, but just one of those superficial things that enhance the game.

I can just imagine my 1st elite infantry batallion cutting some fundamentalist army to pieces.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old October 30, 2000, 05:49   #8
Deathwalker
Prince

Great idea, it was one of the things I liked in BOTF

------------------
I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
Old October 31, 2000, 22:31   #9
Sir Shiva

Great idea...

Naming should be automatic, taken from the .txt file. You should also be able to rename units.

And rivers, mountains etc. should be named by their discoverers (ie. discovering civ) and these names would stick on the map (if desired)..

------------------
-Shiva
Email: shiva@shivamail.com
Web: http://www.shivamail.com

Old November 1, 2000, 03:53   #10
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:30
I'm with you, guys.

Naming units, armies (stacks) and landmarks would be a nice feature in civ3.