Old January 28, 2002, 13:57   #31
barefootbadass
Prince

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
You can build your FP fairly close to your palace and then use a GL to move the palace when there are no wonders pending. I just never can justify using a GL on something I can build anyway when all I'm doing is pop-rushing in the region where the FP might go. Another advantage to doing this is that the FP is stuck once you build it, so you have more flexibility if your palace was in a sucky place to begin with or you just aren't sure how your empire will shape up.
Old January 28, 2002, 14:07   #32
barefootbadass
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
Dimension,

It's actually easier to move your Palace there than it is to build the FP there. As Xin Yu discovered, if you disband your capital, your palace automatically moves to your most populous city, no extra charge. With five cattle (and only 5 cities), you could make that your most populous very easily.

I said "no extra charge" but obviously you lose a productive city and anything you've built in it...but if you only have five cities, you haven't built *that* much. As Xin Yu points out, don't build a wonder in your capital is you think you may want to move it.

(See Xin Yu's "Two Ideas" thread in this section.)

As for the FP, a GL is the only quick way.

-- Hermann
Huh? I thought the palace moved to the second city you built or third if disbanding the second, and so on. Of course you would not only lose the first city if it works this way, but all the culture. This obviously can't be done if you don't plan and refrain from wonder building in your first capital. I'll try it out in my next game, too late in my current one :/
Old January 28, 2002, 19:13   #33
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 13:49
I've used the Palace jumping idea in a few recent games, works like a charm every time. You can pop-rush the last settler out of your first city, even if it's just size 2, so its really easy to time when to make the move. Then you just rebuild the city. I don't ever build early wonders anyways, so there isn't any real loss involved. It basically costs 1 settler to do.
Old January 28, 2002, 19:44   #34
Ironikinit
Prince

Local Time: 14:49
And a chunk of culture.
Old January 29, 2002, 01:18   #35
barefootbadass
Prince

The culture loss isn't so bad, you could build your FP next to your first capital and then move it, only losing the culture the palace had accrued, also you get an opportunity for better placement of your first city. Then the increased production will catch you up quickly as well as anytime you move it to 'jump start' a new area if needed. I haven't tried this yet, but I like the idea.
Old January 29, 2002, 15:34   #36
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 15:49
Quote:
Originally posted by barefootbadass

Huh? I thought the palace moved to the second city you built or third if disbanding the second, and so on. Of course you would not only lose the first city if it works this way, but all the culture. This obviously can't be done if you don't plan and refrain from wonder building in your first capital. I'll try it out in my next game, too late in my current one :/
Turns out to be complicated. Take a look at the "Two Ideas" thread. Seems that this trick works well when the cities are small (new capital size 3, for example), and isn't as predictable when the cities get larger. "Research continues" but the current theory seems to be that culture radius (10=2, 100=3, etc) matters more than population once the population is over 4 (or something like that). Sounds to me that this is a "use early" trick to get out of a crummy starting position with minimum fuss.