Old January 25, 2002, 15:54   #1
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 14:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Last Crusade (CCG)
Anyone out there ever played The Last Crusade customizable card game?

Check out this link to a very cool wargame:

http://www.superaje.com/~canuck/tlc/
Old January 31, 2002, 08:37   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 20:49
Yes I played it quite a bit when it first came out. They may have adapted the rules a bit since then but it was too easy for one side to get a lucky start and win before the forces built up. Otherwise it becomes an interesting wargame that is usually quick to play and superior to the Napoleonic CCG imo. Its true it has avoided the "Mr Suitcase" syndrome of many cardgames and is very welcome for that reason. Two starter decks and ten boosters are probably all you'll ever need unless you are a collectaholic.
Old January 31, 2002, 11:22   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Yes this game is elegant and fairly simple to play. Yet it is very exciting to play. I agree that 2 decks plus 10 boosters is enough.

However, last night I went to my local hobby shop and talked the owner into selling 44 booster packs for $0.50 each! It seems like he was dying to get rid of all his Last Crusade card to make way for newer games. Lucky me I guess. So I guess you could say I'm a collectaholic!
Old January 31, 2002, 11:40   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Ah, not quite. I used to buy Magic cards by the box (60 boosters) but thankfully I managed to cure myself of that insanity a few years ago.

Thankfully TLC didn't go in for dozens of expansion sets to my knowledge. It would probably have had to start working backwards had it wanted to, or expanded over to the Eastern Front. I'd have probably been tempted into buying a Desert campaign set too.
Old February 1, 2002, 09:43   #5
Cookie Monster
King

Actually they are working on an Eastern Front version of this game. However, from what I've read on the site is they are toying with the idea of including all the cards on CD. It is up to the player then to print the cards himself. I guess they're trying to cut the costs of printing on cards themselves.

You've put my level of insanity into perspective! 44 booster packs is the most cards I've purchased in one sitting.
Old February 3, 2002, 17:55   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd buy an eastern front or even all fronts version if they broadened it out to allow campaigns from 1939-45. My main complaint of the original game was its tight focus on post-Normandy Europe.

I think issuing a CD would be a mistake. Who has the ability to print in colour onto durable card or laminate at home?
Old February 4, 2002, 09:43   #7
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I'd buy an eastern front or even all fronts version if they broadened it out to allow campaigns from 1939-45. My main complaint of the original game was its tight focus on post-Normandy Europe.

I think issuing a CD would be a mistake. Who has the ability to print in colour onto durable card or laminate at home?

I agree the CD thing would be a mistake. This CD idea was suggested in one of the links found in the above website I supplied.

Did you ever purchase the companion book to TLC? I think it was called the Road to Berlin or something like that. Just wondering if it's worth picking up.
Old February 4, 2002, 14:00   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

No. I bought two decks and six boosters the weekend a friend introduced me to the game. We then swapped our duplicate uncommon and rare cards on the spot and I've never bought another card since. Fun game that you can play in a reasonably short space of time but as a "collectible" game it didn't quite work. Good for us, not so good for the profit margin of the company.