Old November 1, 2000, 02:33   #1
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 21:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Something I haven't heard yet!!!
What about if Wonders make you money after they expire??? For example. Millions of people go to see the Great Wall and China makes tonnes of bucks off of it so in Civ 3 when the Great Wall expires we can start earning $$$$ off it on tourism?? I think this is more insentive to build wonders and more realistic. But they to have the SOL which doesn't expire but tourists still go to see it. So this would have to be refined. Comments, suggestions?

So Ultrasonix and and DarkCloud please comment. And try to find a discussion thread for me too.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"The best meats' in the rump!"
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old November 1, 2000, 02:56   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Only Ultrasonix and DarkCloud can comment your idea? In that case, I put only a link here:

Tourism in the Essetial Civ3 list , written by Tiberius in March 2000.

Old November 1, 2000, 06:08   #3
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:31
Well I can't remember seening that idea before -or can I, wait I'll check.

damn it I had a big deja vu about that idea. But yeah, it's very good primarily because it makes the weaker wonders more powerful. In single play civ2, a Colossus was really useless cause it only helped a single city and stopped at flight anyway - having it being able to generate income from say tourism would be good. By the way, I don't know if this is repeating info from the List, cause I haven't read it - and can't yet - gotta go back to studying - Physics exam tomorrow .

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
[This message has been edited by UltraSonix (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 06:48   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 01:31
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
quote:

Originally posted by UltraSonix on 11-01-2000 05:08 AM
In single play civ2, a Colossus was really useless cause it only helped a single city and stopped at flight anyway

Huh? Colossus is the best wonder in the game for most strategies!

Postpone researching Flight, by the time you need it you are near the end of the game.

Still a good idea though to get money from expiring wonders. You could use the bricks again, after all

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old November 1, 2000, 22:34   #5
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:31
quote:

So Ultrasonix and and DarkCloud please comment. And try to find a discussion thread for me too.

So I am now a revered Civ Guru? Oh well... It's what I wanted...
-
As for the question; a good idea for the expiration of wonders is; depending on how many civs you are in contact with, and how many trade routes you have and entertainers, you will earn an annual upkeep 'income' from your wonder.

However if you don't pay upkeep on the wonder the 'income' will be halved.

Factors effecting 'income'
-Entertainers in City
-Civs in contact with
-Trade Routes
-Civ distances
-Wonder Upkeep
Old November 2, 2000, 00:01   #6
UltraSonix
King

Local Time: 10:31
Well, I guess the Colossus could be useful - but like The Lord of Terror, I find that there are far better wonders - like the Leonardo's workshop. Other wonders I find useful are the happiness wonders - because I while I don't ICS as such, I do try and build as many cities as possible.

------------------
No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary...
Old November 2, 2000, 01:08   #7
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

What are you talk'in about Ribannah?? the colosus is the weakest one! FOr one thing, it doesn't do much for the ONE city it helps. I think leonardo's is the best.
Old November 2, 2000, 01:19   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
What, Ultra, the Colossus useless ?? I always build the Colosuss. It is one of the best wonders.

But anyway, the idea is good, obsolate (or even not) wonders could be used for tourism income. Of course, only in the case in which Firaxis will introduce the concept of tourism in Civ3 somehow. My idea about tourism is described in the link above. Unfortunately, tourism received the fewest votes in the Essential Civ3 list. OK, maybe it's not essential, but still would be nice.

We can expand the idea of implementing tourism in the way I described or we can build a new one. Any ideas?
Old November 2, 2000, 03:47   #9
rremus
Warlord

How about the Pyramids? Today, they only generate income from turism.
In the game, I think they're the MOST usefull wonder, as they double the expansion rate of your population and NEVER expire!
Old November 2, 2000, 14:02   #10
wernazuma

Oh, I like this. The thread has become quite a weird direction - it should probably be called "Colossus boo or wohoo" I agree with Ultra that there are FAR more important wonders than Colossus.
To the $$$ for expired wonders idea: I think it's nice, but do you think people go to visit the Oracle after Monotheism is "discovered"? I don't. Tourism other than pilgrimage has not been significant until travels had become easier (railroad, ocean cruisers, airplane etc

------------------
Wernazuma alias Cheshirecat alias Wörn

Master Mind of the World of Arendra

Old November 2, 2000, 14:42   #11
Paulypav
Warlord

Obviously, some wonders have more tourism value than others. I think that the tourism effect could be similar to that of a marketplace or bank, only on a smaller scale, say a 10% bonus to trade. Perhaps for the Pyramids and the Great Wall it would be greater while for the Lighthouse or Oracle it would be smaller. I don't think that would be that hard to program into the game either.

------------------
"In war, there is no substitute for victory."
- Douglas MacArthur
Old November 2, 2000, 19:17   #12
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
I'm going on vacation today...off to see the Manhattan Project!
Old November 2, 2000, 20:11   #13
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 21:01
quote:

Originally posted by Paulypav on 11-02-2000 01:42 PM
Obviously, some wonders have more tourism value than others. I think that the tourism effect could be similar to that of a marketplace or bank, only on a smaller scale, say a 10% bonus to trade. Perhaps for the Pyramids and the Great Wall it would be greater while for the Lighthouse or Oracle it would be smaller. I don't think that would be that hard to program into the game either.

That's what I meant. And some present day wonders would generate $$$$ even though they aren't obsolete. It should be based on the techs. When mass transit becomes availble (train, plane, etc..) then the $$$ should increase. It should increase at several points in the game.

quote:

Only Ultrasonix and DarkCloud can comment your idea? In that case, I put only a link here:
Tourism in the Essetial Civ3 list , written by Tiberius in March 2000.

quote:

So I am now a revered Civ Guru? Oh well... It's what I wanted...

You miss understand me.....
quote:

You guys are like the thread collectors. I only want you for your threads
Anyone can comment of course.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"The best meats' in the rump!"
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.