Old January 25, 2002, 20:44   #1
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Egyptians furious 'cause I abandoned a city
Has anyone bumped into this? I assimilated an Egyptian size-1 city. Then I stopped food production and started building a worker. Ten turns later, the worker came out, and I abandoned the city. Next thing I know, Egypt is no longer gracious towards me, now they are furious. It just doesn't make sense, it's my town, not theirs...
Old January 25, 2002, 20:59   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:51
Re: Egyptians furious 'cause I abandoned a city
Quote:
Originally posted by PGM
Has anyone bumped into this? I assimilated an Egyptian size-1 city. Then I stopped food production and started building a worker. Ten turns later, the worker came out, and I abandoned the city. Next thing I know, Egypt is no longer gracious towards me, now they are furious. It just doesn't make sense, it's my town, not theirs...
Other Civ's moods fluctuate all the time, and quite often for no obvious reason. I wouldn't take it to personally. As well, Soren has programmed the other civs with a sort of personality, so maybe she's just having a temper tantrum. Or she's on her period.
Old January 26, 2002, 16:05   #3
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 13:51
Quote:
Or she's on her period.
That's the problem with women rulers...
Even Joan seems to throw a crazy curve ball now and then.
Old January 26, 2002, 16:14   #4
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cassembler

That's the problem with women rulers...
Even Joan seems to throw a crazy curve ball now and then.
Yeah, a couple of times she's attacked me just out of the blue. At least with Bismarck I can usually see it coming, he just gets more and more snarly. But Joan can go from nice as pie to down right nasty in no time.
Old January 26, 2002, 16:14   #5
Encomium
Warlord

Local Time: 14:51
Re: Re: Egyptians furious 'cause I abandoned a city
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Other Civ's moods fluctuate all the time, and quite often for no obvious reason. I wouldn't take it to personally. As well, Soren has programmed the other civs with a sort of personality, so maybe she's just having a temper tantrum. Or she's on her period.
That, sadly makes about as much sense as any other explanation for this dumb, cheating, illogical AI.

How about a civ I was Polite with for a thousand years (and is smaller than me) and then suddenly declares war on me for no apparent reason, and loses three of my trade resources by doing so?!

Stupid AI.
Old January 28, 2002, 05:47   #6
comstar70
Settler

Local Time: 20:51
Do you really need a reason to start a war? You really think, you always see a war coming?
Old January 28, 2002, 06:01   #7
gillskill
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
How about a civ I was Polite with for a thousand years (and is smaller than me) and then suddenly declares war on me for no apparent reason, and loses three of my trade resources by doing so?!
It could be be, if you mean they were getting the resources from you, that they were no longer able to afford paying for them. If that's the case the AI can only cancel the trade by declaring war.
Old January 28, 2002, 15:17   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:51
PGM - Yeah, I've had this happen once. I assimilated a size 2 Chinese city, disbanded it buy building a settler, and had my "polite" neighbor switch to "furious" immediately. I guess they remember that it was their city, and the diplomatic effect is like razing it. I had always suspected the city disbanding caused it, but I wasn't sure that the Chinese hadn't gotten mad at me for some other reason. But since you had the same thing happen, now I am sure.

Encomium - The "dumb, cheating, irrational" AI often starts wars for the same reason I do - because my neighbor has things I want: cities and resources. Maybe I've been on good terms with my neighbor for 1000s of years. Does that stop me from attacking and wiping out my neighbor? Nope. And you better believe that if my neighbor took a city of mine through cultural assimilation, they would pay for it. I will grant you that the AI's ability to calculate relative strength is terrible - this is because it just counts units, instead of factoring in the power of those units. That IS dumb, and results in serious mismatches late in the game (late in the game because the later it is, the bigger the difference between a spearman and whatever you are using).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old January 28, 2002, 15:22   #9
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
I once helped out Alexander who has been almost extinguished by other civs and made him a gift: One of my cities surrounded only by my territory, so no one could come and get him. As it could be foreseen, Alexander's last city outside was destroyed and only the one I gave him remained. Some 50 years later the same Alexander whom I saved and who was gracious towards me declares war on me! Now this was one of the dumbest things ever seen in world history!
Old January 28, 2002, 21:34   #10
PGM
Prince

Yep, it happened again. I disbanded a greek size-1 town, assimilated the worker, and Alexander went from polite to furious with me.

Doesn't make sense, they don't mind if I assimilate a town of theirs, but God forbid if I abandon it...
Old January 28, 2002, 21:38   #11
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PGM
Yep, it happened again. I disbanded a greek size-1 town, assimilated the worker, and Alexander went from polite to furious with me.

Doesn't make sense, they don't mind if I assimilate a town of theirs, but God forbid if I abandon it...
It probably has something to do with the fact that each city has a cultural memory. It's explained in the Cultural Flipping Explained thread. And Alexander doesn't like to lose that memory.