DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Secret Internal Affairs
=========================
Secret Internal Affairs
=========================

All actions would be controlled from a tab labled 'Internal Affairs' in the espionage screen.

Police Functionality
======================

1. First of all, we need to build police stations. That's agreed upon.

2. Police Force
Rarely do we see army units chasing criminals down the street, and rarely do army forces keep the peace during demonstrations or protests.

Suggestions:
Micromanagement - Having "Police Units" that have x2 police effects, but little or no att/def
Macromanagement - Having a "Police Funding". It's like the espionage funding. The more you pay, the more people are quiet. Why is this unlike luxuries? Well, first of all it's more realistic that way. In the begining the police funding percentage is high and lux are pretty low. With time, and with more humain govt. forms or new social modes, we need to lower our police and higher our lux. Police under democratic govt. types (includes republic) would have a certain percentage it can not surpass. But dictator govts. allow 100%. When you need to wage war you spend more money on police.

Special Operations
====================

3. I have a one problematic city that gives me the hell! - or - I'm working on a projec that may caus unhappyness.

That's what the "Special Operations" button is for.
Instead of raising the police funfing that devides among all of your cities, you can concentrate a specific unusual sum to a certain operation with a click of a button.

Operation types:
Quieting down a city for X turns.
Securing the city from spy attacks for X turns
Making a city secret for X turns or forever. (more on that later)

Suggestions for new types of operations are welcome.

4. The secret city (/region?/unit?)

Do you think the american nation is ready to find out that the US govt. is experimenting with alien technology? making illegal scientific research?

Ever Dreamt about having a secret lab? A secret army base in nevada? Area 51? Area 52? I think we should be able to have a city concealed from the eyes of the public and the eyes of the nation and the eys of neighbouring nations. Of course it would cost ya.
You should make sure it is hidden in your empire otherwise enemy army units will bump into it first. you caould build special improvements in it:

underground facilities - won't get noticed by satellites or units passing in the adjustent square.
radar jammer - no enemy satellites or units with high vision range would notice the city or the units adjustent to it.

To make it fair, so no science cities or trade cities would be formed, the city would be unable to grow beyond size 5, unable to build things like banks, temples, markets, explorers, camels, engineers, palace (we wouldn't want to have an invisible capital, now would we?), stock exchange... suggestions are welcome!

With a click of a button you can do that. (I'm repeating my self)

Misc.
=======

5. Interrigation of POW's.

If we do decide to have POW's, why not interigate them?
The could be really usefull to discover placement of enemy towns / units / enemy's next target.
Have a button for that. (Is this a deziavou?)(Is this the correct spelling?)

6. Killing people.

Have you ever conquered an enemys city that was rioting? Was that city over populated? How would you like to make it "thiner"? Of course you can make elvises and make the city starve, but if there is enough food in the granary it could take years. Building a temple is hopeless (city disorder) and you spent your last cash on building another rifleman (I think they prefer rifle-person now ) to make sure you keep that city. Why not do that? It was very common always. It was used in a really mean way during WWII by the nazis but it's part of life. It always has been. So, we have a way to 'thinen' population.

Do that with a .... No! not a button! I'm sick of buttons. Do it with a ... (oh my god) unit!!! Just kidding. No more micro-managing, chill out.

Have any more uses? POST THEM!!!

[This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old April 27, 2000, 21:47   #2
OrangeSfwr

Wow, that last part was shocking from an Israeli. I agree with you though, it should cause leaders of another nations to like you less or something. I think that you should have choices for people in the city you take over...

1) Slavery - Increased production by 25%
2) Human Sacrifice (under Polytheism Religion only) - Increased happiness in city
3) P.O.W. - other civ recieves one unhappy citizen in every city.
4) Annexation - Your cities recieve a luxury benefit of some sort for your cities (they recieve the plunder of that city)

They're are many example of each...

Slavery - like I have to explain this one

Human Sacrifice - many native american tribes such as the Aztecs or Mayans performed this on captured "mini-tribes"

P.O.W. - Vietnam war...

Annexation - Indian territories by Americans, German conquering of europe...

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old April 29, 2000, 00:07   #3
general_charles
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:31
I'm not sure I truely agree with you.
First of all, I think that the police should not be a unit, it would be one more to kill during war and that would be anoying. However, you may have police funding, that is nice, but there is another point on which I do not agree: the higher the funding, the higher the happiness. I think that instead of that, fewer people would dare go into the street, so instead of saying for example, we have 2 people happy, 9 content and 3 unhappy and the city revolts, it would take 4 unhappy for the city to revolt.
I'm not sure that by giving money, we can quite down a city for a number of turns, it is not that realistic, but there should be a way even in democracy to have a martial law, for example if a city has 12 people, it would take 4 units to quite the town (this means a third ratio).
Well, tell me what you think.
Old May 8, 2000, 18:17   #4
Sirotnikov
Emperor

There is actually a difference between part 6 and what the nzais did. The nazis commited genocide and killed jews especially and on purpose. While what i mean is the general massive killing of population without checking their race / religion. Sounds like fun, heh? . German tribes did that, mongols did that. Everybody did it before. Now it's considered an atrocity, but that's normal.

About OrangeSfwr's suggestions.
Slavery - ok.
Sacrifice - ahm... wouldn't like to meet you in a dark alley... kidding. I think it's just too wierd.
POW - i like this.
Annexation - ok.

General Charles - I agree with what you said. I'm just suggesting possible answers in all fields, both micro and macro.

-----------------------------
A buch of text under a line of -'s
Old May 9, 2000, 03:37   #5
general_charles
Chieftain

I'm not sure about what you say on part 6, I mean, sure some people died when there were battles, but even in civ2 the concept is here, when you attack a city with 2 people, you kill one by attacking and when you move in, the city gets destroyed... There, you just killed 2 units off the planet, isn't that enough?
Old May 9, 2000, 10:54   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
Well Sirotnikov , what can I say . it's kinda true . it was pretty common . Gengys khan ( have you noticed that I talk about him pretty often in my posts ?) destroyed entire cities in the Middle East if they haven't surrendered to him . so killing people . but all that you said : well sirotnikov , I hope that no one in firaxis will read this post , sorry . too much managment . I just imagin myself forgetting to build Infrastracture . waiting for the turn to End ....... no . no thnx .

P.S. You're from israel 2 ? ICQ me if you have ICQ !

------------------
-------------------
Enslave the enemy .
Old May 9, 2000, 11:29   #7
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 03:31
quote:

Originally posted by Sirotnikov on 04-22-2000 11:04 AM
Making a city secret for X turns or forever. ... the US govt. is experimenting with alien technology?
[This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited May 08, 2000).]

Hmm... should we add aliens into the game ?

Secret military buildup (Well, more secret than usual)
Old May 9, 2000, 16:56   #8
OrangeSfwr

quote:

Originally posted by Sirotnikov on 05-08-2000 06:17 PM
There is actually a difference between part 6 and what the nzais did. The nazis commited genocide and killed jews especially and on purpose. While what i mean is the general massive killing of population without checking their race / religion. Sounds like fun, heh? . German tribes did that, mongols did that. Everybody did it before. Now it's considered an atrocity, but that's normal.

About OrangeSfwr's suggestions.
Slavery - ok.
Sacrifice - ahm... wouldn't like to meet you in a dark alley... kidding. I think it's just too wierd.
POW - i like this.
Annexation - ok.

General Charles - I agree with what you said. I'm just suggesting possible answers in all fields, both micro and macro.

Didn't mean to scare you with the human sacrifice thing but actually (staying out of the American view) it was widely used in North America (especially mexico and further south) by the Aztecs and Mayas as a way to "make the Gods happy". If the Gods are happy I see the people happy as well. That's why I included it in my theory.

------------------
~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Old May 10, 2000, 00:33   #9
Dida
Prince

I think we should have a option to do
mass-killing in a city, or just to rob the city with some military units.
that's what the Mangolians , Nazi and the
Japanese did during war times.
Old November 2, 2000, 20:24   #10
Sirotnikov
Emperor

*BUMP*
I want people to read this and then discuss the secret bases idea in the secret bases thread.