Civ 3 Unit FLCs to be converted (part 1 and/or 2) 1 3.45%
Getting Civs to Surrender 0 0%
Scenario: The Seven Year War 0 0%
Some other thread(s) (please post suggestions) 1 3.45%
Don't top anything, please 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26, 2002, 09:48   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Which threads to top?
Since I seem to actually have some influence over Markos (over the last 6 weeks or so I've been able to get news items posted, threads moved/topped/untopped, dead links fixed, etc), I'd be interested in seeing how I can use that power. My first mission is to get the rights threads topped. Personally I think the present situation is pretty much okay but I have no idea how others think about this, hence this poll. Which threads in the Creation Forum should be topped (I hope I didn't overlook any important threads - but if so there's always the 'other' option...)? (I think the situation is the General Forum is okay as it is but do let me know if you feel changes are needed)

Personally I think there normally shouldn't be more than 3 threads topped or the forum will only get clogged. Because the threads currently topped are all so important (the 3 major mods plus the most important fan-made tool), I can live with 4 but I really wouldn't want to see more (even though I think Martin's GoodMod thread deserves to be topped as well, hadn't there been so many threads already). Of course, that's just my humble little opinion.

Let me know what y'all think...

Last edited by Locutus; January 26, 2002 at 10:01.
Old January 26, 2002, 10:06   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
all power corrupts...
Its been said that threads should be good enough to stay up because of their content and worth, not stuck up because it is felt that they are the best.
This is true for most forums, but here there are too few people for this to really work. I voted for the 4 that are sticky at the moment, I don't think we need any more, and we only really need the ones that are there because of "help me" posts, or updates.
Cradle would (and did) stay up topped or not, Apolyton Pack, TileEdit and MedPack2 should stay topped so that they are easily found for lurkers/potential newbies with a problem etc.
Old January 26, 2002, 10:30   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I agree with every single word, Ben (including the title )...
Old January 26, 2002, 12:52   #4
Boney
Call to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power Multiplayer
Warlord

I voted pretty much the same, except I went for new scenarios instead of tile edit.

I pretty much agree with both of you. But I would also like to see some scenarios, but how likely that is is open to question.
Old January 26, 2002, 13:26   #5
player1
Emperor

I voted for GoodMod, since it is AN UPDATE FOR APOLYTON PACK.

Hmm, before I retired from CTP2 community I made one nice MOD called:

MyMOD v0.99 by player1

I have balanced it, and polished AI nicely.
There was no interested players to play it, so it is forgotten (several months old thread)

I have played it (and balanced) for 2 months before Civ3 was released, and I can tell you its good alternative to Apolyton Pack (no new units, graphic, abilities & etc..)

Still, it to players to decice. Maybe someone from new players would like it more then some other MOD. I have even balanced AI to be competive in Gaia Controller race.

The only problem is that I won't do new patches and that README file is unfinished (that's why it is v0.99, and not 1.0)
Old January 26, 2002, 13:30   #6
player1
Emperor

Of course, instead of topping, it would be actually much better to UPDATE CTP2 file database (Loctus, use your power). I would love to see my MOD somewere, so it won't be forgoten completly.
Old January 26, 2002, 13:33   #7
Locutus
Deity

player1,
One of the main reasons why noone is using it is because it's impossible to find if you don't know it exists. Where can it be downloaded? You don't seem to have a homepage or anything, the Apolyton Databases are out of service (at least as far as adding new files is concerned) and it's not on any of the major fansites... Since the chance of your thread getting many votes seems fairly small to me, you may want to consider posting it in a more visible place. There's plenty of room on the spaceports and 0catch websites (see my thread: 'My solution to Apolyton's problems') or else you might want to ask Dave if he'll put it on his site for you...

Edit: we crossposted. If it hadn't been for the server problems, the databases probably would have been upgraded to a new format by now. Unfortunately that is not the case and until this upgrade is complete no new files can be added (well, it's possible, but Markos and Dan don't want it). We'll have to use fan-site databases such as the spaceports and 0catch servers and Dave's website until this upgrade is complete (at which point I will most likely become Database Manager, but that is something for the future).

Last edited by Locutus; January 26, 2002 at 13:39.
Old January 26, 2002, 13:59   #8
player1
Emperor

I just bumped thread about it!
That's ONLY place it can be downloaded.

I personnaly think that best place for this MOD is to be on same site at which is a GoodMod, since Martin used much of my AI code to improve the game (added in GoodMod).
Old January 26, 2002, 14:01   #9
Boney
Warlord

if I download this will it appear in modswapper
Old January 26, 2002, 14:12   #10
player1
Emperor

Sadly it isn't done compatibile with ModSwapper.
It uses scenario structure.

To function properly you need every time when you want to start CTP2 to start a new game with MOD and then load game. After that Saves & Loads are OK. But if you load game from starting menu, or from another MOD saves will become corrupt.

Since I don't play CTP2 anymore, I would be pleased if someone from dedicated MODers converts it to MODswaper (Loctus, Martin, Wombat, etc...)
Old January 26, 2002, 14:23   #11
Boney
Warlord

So Player1 what do you play now? not Civ3 I hope, such potential.....wasted.
Old January 26, 2002, 14:27   #12
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
I just bumped thread about it!
That's ONLY place it can be downloaded.

I personnaly think that best place for this MOD is to be on same site at which is a GoodMod, since Martin used much of my AI code to improve the game (added in GoodMod).
Well, the official goodmod site is Martin's website, so you'd have to discuss that with him. Regardless of that, can I add it to the backup CtP2 database on the 0catch website (which should become much bigger than it is right now, I'm still looking for a decent host)? That way there will be at least one place where it can be downloaded from once your tread falls from page 1 again...
Old January 26, 2002, 14:44   #13
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boney
So Player1 what do you play now? not Civ3 I hope, such potential.....wasted.
In fact I do.

Yes, CTP2 has its good sides, but at end it all came to a lot of MODing, and a little of playing (for me). So I gave up. Still a good game if properly MODed.

As for Civ3, I don't play it too much since late game is so SLOW, but it looks more challeging then CTP2 (at least to me).

If only would Civ3 have MODing capabilities of CTP...

To Loctus:
Thanks! (in advance)
Old January 28, 2002, 07:19   #14
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:51
I dont like to see a lot of topped threads in a forum. So I have chosen the Apolyton Pack, MedMod, Craddle and new scenarios to be topped. I chose the new scenarios in place of tiledit. Tiledit is a major tool for CTP2 i use it a lot to add the new imps. And i know many others use it for a lot of other stuff. Yet i think it should continue be topped only until it is placed in the CTP2 Database (with many others too).

And to be in its place i chose New scenarios. Not Me Verhagen ones. But a new one where every scenario maker can post about its work that way we can incentivate other people to create new scenarios since we have so few of them.

PS: I voted New Scenarios but i think i should have voted Other Thread intead. sorry fo my mistake.

PS2: Locutus you should start a tread like that every 3-4 months to update the forum.
-Jean Rostand
Old January 28, 2002, 07:21   #15
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:51
I dont like to see a lot of topped threads in a forum. So I have chosen the Apolyton Pack, MedMod, Craddle and new scenarios to be topped. I chose the new scenarios in place of tiledit. Tiledit is a major tool for CTP2 i use it a lot to add the new imps. And i know many others use it for a lot of other stuff. Yet i think it should continue be topped only until it is placed in the CTP2 Database (with many others too).

And to be in its place i chose New scenarios. Not Me Verhagen ones. But a new one where every scenario maker can post about its work that way we can incentivate other people to create new scenarios since we have so few of them.

PS1: I voted New Scenarios but i think i should have voted Other Thread intead. sorry fo my mistake.

PS2: Locutus you should start a tread like that every 3-4 months to update the forum.
-Jean Rostand
Old January 28, 2002, 09:04   #16
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:51
hi I think people are just gone vote for what they have a loud voice in.

it should be a vote like what one of the other people said to have the results of a thread set in stone and added to the database.
Old January 28, 2002, 16:43   #17
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Yet i think it should continue be topped only until it is placed in the CTP2 Database (with many others too).
Well, that could be a while so for now I'll consider that an extra vote for TileEdit...

Quote:
PS1: I voted New Scenarios but i think i should have voted Other Thread intead. sorry fo my mistake.
I'm getting the idea Boney was thinking the same thing. I guess we could easily merge those two ideas, me verhagen's thread could easily be renamed or someone could simply start a new thread (and me verhagen could post in there if he wants). But as long as there are so few scenario makers out there I'm not sure how useful such a thread would be. Scenario makers can easily start their own threads and bump them now and again. And I'd be more than happy to post news items once something interesting pops up (but I'll give this some extra though, some extra stimulus to get people to make scenarios would be nice).

Quote:
For now let's first see how things develop. I might do so if the conditions are right (but anyone is always free to give me a kick in the butt if (s)he thinks a thread should be topped - just look at the Mod Wrapup thing in General)...

The Big Mc,
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
hi I think people are just gone vote for what they have a loud voice in.
I'm confident that most people here are mature enough not to do so...
Old January 28, 2002, 17:35   #18
sun_tzu_159
Chieftain

All,
I have voted for the big four that are already topped. These are the major mods. We could see Cradle 1.3 up there too as it develops.
My preference is to order the others by date of reply - then the most current is at the top. It is then up to the thread starter or participants to keep it going. If they have no enthusiasm to post then it will drop away.

If everybody votes for what they have a voice in it will make no difference to the outcome - just like all candidates in an election voting for themselves.

Regards
AOW
Old January 31, 2002, 09:25   #19
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Ha it looks like ever one is voting to top the already top threads.
Never mind locutos we will try to get one of yours toped soon

ps. it was a joke
Old January 31, 2002, 14:25   #20
Locutus
Deity

Unless the outcomes radically changes in the time it takes for this thread to drop from page 1, let's just keep the situation as it is (at least until the database works again)...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
Ha it looks like ever one is voting to top the already top threads.
Never mind locutos we will try to get one of yours toped soon
Nah, no need, I already have 2 threads topped in General (one wasn't actually started by me, but my post got it topped) Then again, a third thread would always be nice

Quote:
ps. it was a joke
Is was? Gee, I never would have guessed, you hid it so well with those smilies