Old January 26, 2002, 13:53   #1
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do you shorten production/research times?
I just can't seem to find this in Civ3 manual. Please help.

In Civ1, if you built your city on a shields rich square, you would find that building settlers took only 20 turns as opposed to 40 turns.

Also, in Civ1, if you set the tax/science rate so all was going to science, you would have new advances about every 6 turns.

Can one do this in Civ3? How do I build my settler in less turns? How do I research some advance in less turns than you see when you open the advances tech tree in the science advisor? (They always have a static number for each one.)

I would really appreciate any information you could give me. I feel I am missing out somewhere.

sboog
Old January 26, 2002, 14:40   #2
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: How do you shorten production/research times?
Quote:
Originally posted by sboog
Can one do this in Civ3? How do I build my settler in less turns? How do I research some advance in less turns than you see when you open the advances tech tree in the science advisor? (They always have a static number for each one.)
Settlers require 40 shields in order to build no matter what you do. The only way you can build them faster, is to use the Hurry production. You'll find a little square button at the end of your production bar that will let you do that. It will cost you though, depending on what form of government you have. Despotism will only allow you to sacrifise the life of one of your citizens in order to do so. In the case of a Settler, you will need a population of four in your city in order to rush, 2 for the Settler itself, one for the sacrifise, and one more so that your city doesn't disappear. For all other governments, you will have to fork over some gold.

As for the research, if you go to your Domestic Advisor screen, F1, you'll see a couple of sliders at the top right hand corner. These are what you use to adjust your research time. It doesn't work the same as in previous games however, I'm not sure of the actual mechanics of it. But you should no longer just set a rate and forget about. Quite often you can set your science spending to 100% and it will make no difference in the time it takes to research a tech. You have to make a point of always adjusting your settings there to ensure that you aren't just spending money for nothing. It's a good idea to check it everytime you start researching something new, and adjusting your spending.